Blackout 1942 Continental Convertible

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Billblassed

Blackout 1942 Continental Convertible

Post by Billblassed »

I was born in 1949 . Many of our Family members earned a living in Automobile Businesses . As a youth I recall talk about this Lincoln I am inquiring about here . Some Cousins were Salesmen and Dealership Owners . Particularity the Girard , Ohio Taaf Studebaker Dealership and Youngstown , Ohio's Strausbaugh Dodge in the area of my Hometown . A Family Member had bought the Former Tucker dealer Building IIRC . Later on I was taken to the Youngstown Edsel dealer on the South Side of Youngstown . BTW , ironically , the it is the same Building . I was taken with my Father to see many Car Events . One adventure was a a look at a strange Convertible under a tarp . The Rag Top was gone to shreds . The interior made a lasting impression on me . The handles were not the usual shiny items I was used to by then as a young Car Guy . Could it be a Blackout '42 MY Continental ? Did this exist ? Anyone have information about this please ? Thanx ..
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Re: Blackout 1942 Continental Convertible

Post by Barry Wolk »

I know for a fact they made blackout Zephyrs, so it's likely they made Continentals, too.

However, the '42 didn't have door handles, it only had push buttons as the doors were pop-outs.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Billblassed

Post by Billblassed »

Yes , the pop out buttons is true for the outside door buttons . I did not make it clear enough the reference was to the inside door handles and window cranks . Some things just stick in distant memories . This is but one . I am a Model car Builder Collector . I am retentive and a stickler about detail . My relatives have long passed . I appreciate the answer .. Thanx ..
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

The inside had poppers in '42, also.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the chrome inside the car was blacked out. Mighta just been a heavy layer of dust. With a tattered top it would be a mess inside. I have a mess of a '47 Zephyr like that.

Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

This was my '42 LZ Club Coupe.

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Hmm--did it have the 306 engine and the Liqua-Matic?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)