Welcome to your new sub-forum!

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Welcome to your new sub-forum!

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Based on a recent request, I decided to create this sub-forum to support our members.
Gerald F. Chase wrote:As suspected, I DO prefer a signature leather interior over a Cartier..... for example.

Jerry
Jerry, I prefer cloth over leather because leather is too hot in the summer.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Welcome to your new sub-forum!

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Thank you for this, Dan. I do think that now that we're in the middle of the second decade of the 21st century, Eighties Town Cars really have reached a point of "no longer new", and now should be considered desirable & collectible from a historical point-of-view.

It's good that you prefer cloth over leather. I might think the same way if the Sixties' variety of cloth was installed instead of the '80s VELOUR cloth. I had cloth in my 1965 a long time ago; but 80s velour is vastly different, and not nearly as desirable, in my opinion. It might be more durable, but it "grabs" one's pants!

What I really was referring to was the style of the Signature upholstery versus the style of the Cartier.. which is considerably different, even just looking at it.. let alone sit on it. The Cartier style is fine in a house, but the Signature style is much superior in a car. I concede that we all have preferences, though. For example, I much prefer lighter colors in paint. Others prefer dark. I also prefer analog dashboards, for temperature gauges.

Thanks again, Dan, for this new sub-forum.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Gerald F. Chase wrote:Thank you for this, Dan. I do think that now that we're in the middle of the second decade of the 21st century, Eighties Town Cars really have reached a point of "no longer new", and now should be considered desirable & collectible from a historical point-of-view.
You're welcome. The newest 80s Town Car, the 89 model, is now 26 years old.
It's good that you prefer cloth over leather. I might think the same way if the Sixties' variety of cloth was installed instead of the '80s VELOUR cloth. I had cloth in my 1965 a long time ago; but 80s velour is vastly different, and not nearly as desirable, in my opinion. It might be more durable, but it "grabs" one's pants!
I have to be more clear about "cloth". I find 60s cloth seats horrendous. I had a 77 Marquis with a velour interior. I found it comfortable and durable. I really like the 77 crushed velour, but I've never owned one. Mike's car and Barry's car has this.
What I really was referring to was the style of the Signature upholstery versus the style of the Cartier.. which is considerably different, even just looking at it.. let alone sit on it. The Cartier style is fine in a house, but the Signature style is much superior in a car. I concede that we all have preferences, though. For example, I much prefer lighter colors in paint. Others prefer dark. I also prefer analog dashboards, for temperature gauges.

Thanks again, Dan, for this new sub-forum.
Now, I have nothing more to contribute.
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

Gerald F. Chase wrote:What I really was referring to was the style of the Signature upholstery versus the style of the Cartier.. which is considerably different, even just looking at it.. let alone sit on it. The Cartier style is fine in a house, but the Signature style is much superior in a car.
Depending on the model year, the Cartier sew pattern was different just about every year.

1983 Town Car Cartier borrowed the Mark VI's base sew pattern
1984 Town Car Signature Series *and* Cartier both actually had the same sew pattern, which was inherited from the discontinued Mark VI Signature pattern of '82-83

The Signature Series sew pattern then remained the same from '84 all the way to '89, while the Cartier sew pattern was its own style and was different for each year from '85-'88 ('89 being the same as '88). In my opinion, the Signature Series sew pattern on the '82/83 Mark VI and later used on the Town Car from '84-89 is classic and timeless, being an understated rendition of the classic "living room" interior without being too fussy looking.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Not much happening here since I created it. What happened to the demand?
wasagachris
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by wasagachris »

I'll keep the ball rolling. My 87 TC S/S Sail America Edition has needed a few things since I purchased it a several years ago. Namely the leather seating was baked beyond use by the Florida sun. I tried rejuvenating it using the products from Leatherique. While their products are very good my skills and methods of applying them were not.
The kit you buy comes with four products. First is a cleaner, then a rejuvenating oil, a crack filler and the dye. The last step is where I failed in my methodology. The cleaner does a fantastic job of cleaning up years of dirt, grime and sweat(yuch). The rejuvenating oil is liberally applied to all of the leather surfaces and is to be left on while the leather is kept very warm for 24 hrs. This allows the oil to penetrate deeply into the leather and return it to it's original supple state. Actually giving this step several days would actually be better. Once rejuvenated and the excess oil is removed you are ready to apply the crack filler. It is a paste that is ladeled, scooped, spread or any other method(my finger tip) onto any areas that are cracked. I had marginal results on this step as probably I was trying to repair areas that were too deeply cracked or worn. The filler dries fairly quickly and can be sanded smooth. I found that a wet paper towel does wonders in making the crack filler reasonably smooth. Then you must prep the entire surface to accept the dye. I have to tell you that it felt extremely foreign to attack my seats with sandpaper to "scuff" up the surface. 600 and 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper is what I used. I did use it wet and that helped to get the massive quantities of crack filler I applied to smooth out. You must wipe up all sanded areas with paper towel to remove all the loosened filler and any old dye. Like any paint job the more you prep the better the job is. Now you are ready for dye. According to the manufacturer you can use a paint brush or dab it on with paper towel. I tried both and did not like the results. The best method would be to spray it on. I tried using a spray bottle and the results were abismal. Now I did not have the ability to set up a proper spray set up like you would use to paint a car so after my first trial area of the back seat bottom I gave up. My brush method looked terrible and came out looking like I had applied a coat of house paint to my seats.
So last winter I had the seats professionally reupholstered. I will post some pics tomorrow when daylight allows me to take some. I will also document my other repairs then.
1961 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan,
1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car 4 Dr,
1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series Stars & Stripes Edition
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

I remember renting a new '86 Town Car when Budget had loads of them and I enjoyed the car but thought my '67 actually drove better on the highway. I liked the look of the '80s Town Cars in general and the '86 was one of the better looking in the series.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

LC67Vert wrote:'86 Town Car when Budget had loads of them and I enjoyed the car but thought my '67 actually drove better on the highway.
I would have to agree with you based on my experience with the '70s cars. I think the Panther platform was successful at improving the handling of full-size models, but it necessarily comes at the cost of the characteristic "floating couch" feel that traditional full-size cars are known for on the highway. '80s Town Cars are great around the city; try driving a '70s barge in the city and it's a wallowing mess around every corner and all the stop-n-go will make you queezy.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
norgale
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by norgale »

I like this new subforum as I just purchased an 81 mark 6. First of all I can't figure out how to post a new thread. Second of all does anyone know how to find out how many 81 four door MK6's were made? Anyway I haven't had time to get into this "new" Lincoln yet and right now it isn't running but that won't last long. She's really pretty with Burgundy paint, shiny spoke wire wheels and red leather upholstery. However the 302 engine with 145 HP leaves a bit to be desired. A speed demon she ain't. So watch out you guys as this Lincolneer is back with a new Wixom Wonder to bother the forum with. First I have to get American title to the car. It came from Canada and I have to take it to Customs and Border Patrol so they can verify that the car isn't stolen, used as a drug smuggler or doesn't have a lien on it. Good to see that Dan is still running this forum and to see Gerry Chase from Attleboro, Ma. is still active. And I prefer leather just for the heck of it. Ha!
Got a new Dell here with w10 and I can't run anything. Got to learn all over again. I hate it when that happens. Norgale (Pete McGill)
Pete McGill LCOC 023903M
2006 Dodge Pickup 2500 v-8 Magnum Hemi
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark 6

ON TIME IS WHEN I GET THERE.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

norgale wrote:First of all I can't figure out how to post a new thread.
When viewing each forum (not a specific topic within the forum), there are "New Topic" buttons on the left just above and just below the list of topics. They are positioned similarly to where "Post Reply" buttons are within a particular topic.
norgale wrote:Second of all does anyone know how to find out how many 81 four door MK6's were made?
17,958 Continental Mark VI four doors were produced for 1981.
norgale
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by norgale »

Thanks for the reply Contifan. I'll check closerto find what I need. I've been away for awhile and things have changed. Maybe you can find out what happened to my password. It doesn't work anymore and I don't know why. Norgale
Pete McGill LCOC 023903M
2006 Dodge Pickup 2500 v-8 Magnum Hemi
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark 6

ON TIME IS WHEN I GET THERE.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

norgale wrote:Maybe you can find out what happened to my password. It doesn't work anymore and I don't know why.
Any password issue would be a Dan question.