Top panel pads worn out

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Top panel pads worn out

Post by defrang »

Between the top pad and quarter panel. Over the years, natural wear created a situation that was damaging the quarter panel paint. New replacement from Mark II Enterprises not as good as OEM but still fit well. What have you done to repair or replace this on your Convertiible?
Attachments
Side by side
Side by side
image.jpg (23.1 KiB) Viewed 636 times
Installed
Installed
image.jpg (16.82 KiB) Viewed 636 times
Robert DeFrang
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Top panel pads worn out

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Rubber doesn't last forever. It shrinks and rots due to oxidation, UV, and ozone exposure.

Mine are probably hard as a rock, but their appearance is acceptable. They have stained the paint where they contact the body. Although I seldom wash the car, I try not to spray water in that area.

At this this particular piece is accessible. Just don't strip the screws removing them.
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

Us vendors refer to this rubber as the 'pork chop'. The original pieces had metel sandwiched between the rubber. The metal rusts causing it to deteriorate, the reproductions don't have this problem.
crblz
Occasional Visitor

Post by crblz »

I just purchased a set from Metro Moulding. They seem to be pretty good (solid rubber..no metal).
1962 Lincoln Convertible
1962 Lincoln Sedan (All original 50k miles!)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I don't really see the point in it being rubber-molded-over-steel because of where it is mounted. Maybe it was so the plant wouldn't screw threw the holes?
jrockboogie
Occasional Visitor

Post by jrockboogie »

Does anyone have any advice for removing the screws for the rubber pad? Mine are all rusted in place. I've been soaking them in PB Blaster for a couple of days now and they just don't want to move, and on top of that a couple of the screw heads are stripped. Fun times!
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg
Bill Prince
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Bill Prince »

I had the same problem. The screws (or what was left of them) where rusted in place. Impossible to remove, barring drilling them out, and without being able to use a drill press - I deemed this approach impractical. So, since I do not have my car judged - I man handled and chiseled the rusted up old pork chop rubber molding off of the top frame. Then I used a drimel and cut off the remaining rusted screw protrusions. After grinding and sanding the top frame clean, I painted it and then glued the new rubber moldings in place. No load on them when the top is up and when it is down. You would never know I did not use screws. Even when the top is down, you would have to look close to see that no screw are present - But I glued short screws in the rubber screw holes so that if you look crazy close, you see the screw heads! :grin: That has been maybe three or more years ago already and no sign of the moldings coming off. I forgot the glue that I used - maybe it was some upholstery glue.
Thanks,
Bill

1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible (White/Blue), 1961 Lincoln Continental Sedan (White/Blue - 37K miles), 1972 Mark IV (Pastel Lime/Green). See photos of my cars at Cardomain.com - search for gormanwpjr
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

To remove screws where the phillips head is stripped, I take my dremel and cut a space for a flat head screw driver. If that doesn't work, then I use a screw extractor I bought at Ace hardware.
Robert DeFrang

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”