Hyundai launching luxury brand

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Hyundai launching luxury brand

Post by ContiFan »

More potential competition for Lincoln, Cadillac, and the various luxury imports as Hyundai is launching its own luxury brand called "Genesis." This has been anticipated since Hyundai moved upscale with models Equus and Genesis (sedan) years ago. It is also not unlike what Honda did with Acura, Toyota did with Lexus and Nissan did with Infiniti back in the mid and late 1980s.

Surprise, surprise the new models will carry alphanumeric names. These will include G90, G80, G70, etc. (six car and SUV models by 2020).

No word on pricing yet but the current 2016 Equus (future G90?) starts at $62,450 and the Genesis sedan (future G80?) starts at $39,700.

http://globalpr.hyundai.com/prCenter/ne ... o?dID=5177
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Hyundai launching luxury brand

Post by larrys 62 53A »

There was a Hyundai Genesis at the Meadowbrook car show in Michigan about 4 years ago. Nice car but there was a dead spider inside the left tail light. No lie!
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Wow you looked it over closely ! :lol:
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

This is a good move for Hyundai. About time actually.

I remember a few years ago I test drove an Equus, and I was very impressed by everything in that car. It pretty much had every feature in the book, and the ride was amazingly smooth. Air suspension at all four corners, and the rear seat legroom was pretty generous. Interior quality was up there with other luxury brands , and even better than Cadillac and Linc at the time. The Difference between say an S Class or 7 Series, or even an LS460 from an Equus, is that the entire door panels are leather wrapped or heavily padded on the more expensive imports than the Equus, but considering the price, that's not a big deal at all.

I had no complaints, the 4.6 liter, 400 + HP engine took off like rocket ship. Even though the car was hefty, it didn't feel like it on the road.

For the price you pay, the car gives you a lot of value, so I hope Hyundai continues to elevate the brand and market it well. The main issues I see with "Genesis" is what kind of a luxury car brand do they want to be? Performance luxury, or Quiet Luxury? Also their styling is mash up from Mercedes, they need to bunker down on a styling trait and stick with it.
61 Lincoln Continental Sedan....Sold
78 Lincoln Continental Sedan......Current
93 Lincoln Town Car......Past
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by larrys 62 53A »

Not that close, but that spider was big! Not a Tarantula but still. Poor guy, he just wanted to eat some flies! :violin:
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

I just recently leased a 2015 Genesis Ultimate Sedan. So far, I've been impressed with it. It replaced a leased Acura TL. I looked at the new Acura TLX, and for some reason I did not like it as well as my old Acura. Looked at a Lincoln MKZ, and liked it, but was not swept away. Then I stopped by the Hyundai dealership and took a test drive in the Genesis. The interior is made with high quality materials. Comfortable riding RWD vehicle with OK, but not great fuel mileage for a V6. The car has a very spacious interior and trunk. It actually sort of reminds me of the Lincoln Town Cars of the 90's. If anyone misses the Town Cars of yore, take a look at the new Genesis.

The Genesis does have a generous warranty, which I hope I will not have to use.
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

Linmk56 wrote:I just recently leased a 2015 Genesis Ultimate Sedan. So far, I've been impressed with it. It replaced a leased Acura TL. I looked at the new Acura TLX, and for some reason I did not like it as well as my old Acura. Looked at a Lincoln MKZ, and liked it, but was not swept away. Then I stopped by the Hyundai dealership and took a test drive in the Genesis. The interior is made with high quality materials. Comfortable riding RWD vehicle with OK, but not great fuel mileage for a V6. The car has a very spacious interior and trunk. It actually sort of reminds me of the Lincoln Town Cars of the 90's. If anyone misses the Town Cars of yore, take a look at the new Genesis.

The Genesis does have a generous warranty, which I hope I will not have to use.

Hyundai has improved so much that it's surprising in many ways how much better their luxury cars are than Cadillac and even Lincoln. For them to have a V8 and RWD platform is saying something in this day and age. They understand and know what a real luxury car is supposed to feel and drive like.

And yes, their quality of materials are top notch, and the keep improving each generation. I plan on going to next months SD International Auto Show where all the new cars will be availabile for people to sit in so they can get a feel for each vehicle.

Also the Ride and Drive event keeps expanding to different brands each year so I hope to have chance to test drive most of the new Cadillacs, Lincolns, BMW and Hyundai's Genesis and Equus models. My favorite by far in the past was the Equus for it's massive power, smooth ride, and interior comfort.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

SDContinental wrote:And yes, their quality of materials are top notch, and the keep improving each generation. I plan on going to next months SD International Auto Show where all the new cars will be availabile for people to sit in so they can get a feel for each vehicle.

Also the Ride and Drive event keeps expanding to different brands each year so I hope to have chance to test drive most of the new Cadillacs, Lincolns, BMW and Hyundai's Genesis and Equus models. My favorite by far in the past was the Equus for it's massive power, smooth ride, and interior comfort.
Be sure you do and try to leave your Lincoln-hating bias at home before condemning them so widely and praising others.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Dan Szwarc wrote:
SDContinental wrote:And yes, their quality of materials are top notch, and the keep improving each generation. I plan on going to next months SD International Auto Show where all the new cars will be availabile for people to sit in so they can get a feel for each vehicle.

Be sure you do and try to leave your Lincoln-hating bias at home before condemning them so widely and praising others.

Yeah, this sure getting old. Fewer words and more actual thought would help.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

Barry Wolk wrote:
Dan Szwarc wrote:

Yeah, this sure getting old. Fewer words and more actual thought would help.
The truth hurts, sorry.

Dan Szwarc wrote:

I don't hate Lincoln, never did, still own one and love it. But my current complaints are valid and shared with many others that want Lincoln to succeed, but are frustrated that they keep coming up short in their designs and attempt at building a true luxury brand.

So now I'm all of sudden a Hyundai fan? No way! But their attempt at building a good luxury car with features that are on par with a 7 Series and S-Class is saying something. V8, RWD, Air suspension all around, high quality materials inside, and a big interior on the Equus is hard to complain about.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

LOL!

:smt006

suburban_gorilla
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by suburban_gorilla »

This conversation reminded me of an article I remember reading about some of the worst selling cars in Canada. Thanks to the powers of google, I managed to locate it and it happens to be a top ten list of the worst selling cars from 2013 in Canada. I've lifted the following passage directly from it:

3rd place – Hyundai Equus (83 sold)

The $64,799 rear-wheel-drive Hyundai Equus full-size luxury sedan continues to be a hard sell in Canada. On sale now for a few years, Canadian Equus sales were down 28% last year, to just 83 samples sold. This despite offering the room, features and performance of full-size luxury sedans like the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series or Mercedes-Benz S Class for tens of thousands of dollars less.

Interestingly at #10 was the Lincoln Navigator and #9 was the Lincoln MKS.

here is the original article:

http://driving.ca/honda/cr-z/auto-news/ ... rs-of-2013
Omar

Toronto, Canada.
1962 Lincoln Continental, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE, 2017 BMW X5
2008 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS [sold], 2008 Honda Pilot [sold], 1987 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance [sold], 2007 Acura CSX [gone]
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

suburban_gorilla wrote:On sale now for a few years, Canadian Equus sales were down 28% last year, to just 83 samples sold. This despite offering the room, features and performance of full-size luxury sedans like the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series or Mercedes-Benz S Class for tens of thousands of dollars less.
:lol:

ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

suburban_gorilla wrote:3rd place – Hyundai Equus (83 sold)
Equus sales in Canada last year were down 22% to 65 units. So far this year, sales are 33.

The overall large/full-size luxury sedan market in Canada and the U.S. just isn't what it used to be as far as sales. Luxury brands that were once able to rely heavily on their "large sedan" sales have had to make adjustments.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

That's why it pays to not be stuck in the past.

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”