Source for 63 brake self adjuster cable?

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

ray_of_distortion
Occasional Visitor

Source for 63 brake self adjuster cable?

Post by ray_of_distortion »

Looking for new brake self adjuster cables (front and back) for a 1963 Continental. Bakers has them for 64 up which are longer. Lincolnland has them used but pretty steep on the price. Any source for these new ?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Source for 63 brake self adjuster cable?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

If you can't find them at your local shop or RockAuto, or other places online, you're stuck with the Usual Suspects and paying their prices. There are no magic substitutes for most of these parts, especially from 65 and earlier.

Otherwise, call the Herb Sheffer, Lincoln Parts International, and the Lincoln/Mercury Old Parts Store, or Mark II Enterprises. I suspect they are all about the same price.

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =1&t=14365
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Do you have a good counterman at your NAPA? Can't believe they can't order one of those. Ford must have sold 47 gagillion of them, a good interchange book would help.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

What is a self-adjuster cable on a drum-brake system? Is it the parking brake adjuster cable? The one with a hook on one end and a loop on the other that atatches to the cam/foot for the star wheel?

I can't believe that the US's don't have a substitute if looking up a cross reference is all it takes.

If it is, it is base PN 2A178.

60 to 62 PN is C1SS-2A178-A, Also fits vehicle code A in the MPC (full size mercury?)

63 to 64 PN is C3SZ-2A178-A. Same for all four wheels.

I found ONE 63/64 through rear counter.
http://www.rearcounter.com/C3SZ-2A178-A-parts47513.html

I bet that someone could fabricate these using the ends and a proper cable. Only the length is critical.
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AlT63bird »

Buyer beware! There was some lengthy discussion in the Vintage Thunderbird Club International's Forum about brake adjuster cables for '61-'66. First, the two do differ in length, and second it appears that aftermarket manufacturers haven't been using the correct lengths, especially for the C3SZ- cable. See this thread for photos, lengths and more info - make sure to go through all posts, especially the last one on page 4.

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... e&start=15

Hope this helps.
Alan H. Tast AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club International
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Thanks Alan. Obviously, these could be made in someone's basement. I guess I should be happy my 66 has parts used until 1969.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I'm going to give this old thread a bump instead of starting a new one since it already has some good info.

Does anyone know if there's a source for the cables for a 63 yet or know of another application other then thunderbirds that uses the same length cables?
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Are you saying the usual suspects no longer carry them?
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

This is something I was not aware of. To me, it raises more questions than answers.
What else was changed? As the drums, shoes, and backing plates, are said to be the same, something must be matched to the cable, for it to be different, maybe the adjuster pawl?
I used mostly '63 parts in my '62, and did notice a different length cable, however the '62 had a bunch of mismatched parts, so I just figured the cables were not the correct ones for the car. Everything I used seemed to fit correctly, but perhaps I will take the drums off again and more closely compare the parts, (I kept them, of course). If the pawl has a longer arm, to correspond with the cable,(more leverage), could that require other differences, like springs?
The part # for '61-'62 shoes, C1VY 2001E, is different from '63-'66, C3SZ 2001D, In the book I have, so are we getting compatible shoes today, when they say 1 size fits all? or should we be changing to the later hardware, to work with the later shoes?
Hmmmm.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

It seems like they list them but the same part for all the 61-64 even tho there is supposed to be differences and what little I can find online still seem to complain about cable length.

I'm not sure on the one size fits all deal unless possibly all the parts need to come from the same source. I did see some people who got new shoes and new cable and it was too long.
Maybe it is the arm. If the finger that turns the star wheel is angled differently or the end the cable hooks onto is different maybe that's where the different cable length comes into play.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

LincolnLand will send you the right one if you tell them what vehicle it’s for. Call.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Auto Brake Adjuster cable

C3ZA 2A178 A

Fits: 63 & 64 Lincoln Continental and Ford Thunderbird all wheel positions
AND
1965 to 1969 Continental rear wheel positions only

10 15/16" in length

Based on the Master Parts Catalog (MPC) -
Ford over that decade used at least a half a dozen cables (if not more) with various lengths. 1960 to 1962 Continental will not work. It is 11 1/8" in length.
Measurements were not listed in the 60 -64 LM MPC. Only 1960 Ford MPC and 65 and later LM MPC

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I checked Rocks website, and some brands use the same # for all shoes, some use a unique '61-'62 # ,so I was incorrect thinking they all showed the same #. When I replaced my '67 brakes, I was told they were all the same, but that won't be a problem on that one.
I will have to recheck my '62 however, now that I know of a difference. When I took it apart, it had brand new shoes, all different coloured springs on each wheel, and steel front drums on a conv., so I knew it had been tampered with. I had to replace the cylinders, so at that time I used the hardware from the '63 parts car, Thinking it was better than what was there.
The '63 shoe cores are still with the parts car, so I'll see if I can spot what change was made.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The 1960 to 1962 part number is C1SS 2A178 A

Which fits
1960 to 1962 Lincoln and 1960 to 1964 full sized Ford & Mercury and 61 to 62 Ford Thunderbird - all 4 wheels

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the info. The list of parts I need is slowly growing so ill be getting in touch with lincoln land at some point.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”