Chrome polish and rust remover

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

KAZphoto
Occasional Visitor

Chrome polish and rust remover

Post by KAZphoto »

I just wanted to share that I came across a product called Chrome Polish and Rust Remover from Turtle Wax and decided to give it a go on my rear bumper. I thought it worked surprising well for $8. It won't make anything look brand new of course but I think it made a world of difference on my bumper. You can see some pitting in up close but since I won't be able to re-chrome this bumper for a while it will look a lot better in the mean time. I thought I would just share my results. I have attached a photo so everyone can see my results. The whole section towards the top of the bottle was polished while you can see the rust I didn't do yet towards the middle and below in the photo. I used an electrical powered buffer with this. The whole bumper is looking MUCH better to me!
Attachments
IMG_9465.jpg
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Chrome polish and rust remover

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This kind of polish will remove the rust stains and polish the chrome (or what's left of it). If you don't seal it with some kind of wax or clear, it will come back whenever it gets wet. It can make dull chrome shine.
KAZphoto
Occasional Visitor

Post by KAZphoto »

I thought it did a really great job. Waxing it is a great idea. I'll do that. Thanks.
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

I love that TW chrome polish but I use Brasso... it's cheaper than the Turtle Wax stuff (usually) and it does the same thing! And I agree with Dan - a couple good coats of wax otherwise the first humid day the bumper will turn red again. I had some cheap chrome mirrors on my F250 and they would flash rust every week even with wax so I spent a lot of polishing time on the weekends!
Rob