Trans fluid dump while stored?

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Trans fluid dump while stored?

Post by Ken Stevens »

A friend was kind enough to allow me to use his garage all winter while he was in Florida. So my 61 sat all cozy and happy. But when I checked on the car last month, the floor beneath the transmission pan was awash with red Type F. It was running out under the car there was so much. I wiped it up and loaded the floor with Pig Mats to soak some of that fluid. So I'm going to have her towed to the transmission shop in a few weeks.

What could have catastrophically failed to allow the trans to disgorge itself like that? Not running, not under pressure, just gravity. What a mess.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Trans fluid dump while stored?

Post by defrang »

Return line on the power steering pump could be loose.
Robert DeFrang
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

But the puddle was back by the transmission... However I assume there is a potential for fittings on the trans cooler lines to be loose. But I"ll make sure everything is checked. I plan to put some miles on the car this summer
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by elcad70 »

I had a similar problem with my Mark III when it was left for any period of time, always a puddle under the transmission. Replaced the steering gear and hoses and the transmission is fine. I'm not saying the problem is not with the transmission but I must admit, I spent a long time looking for a reason the transmission would dump so much red oil while the vehicle was stationary.
1970 Mark III Lincoln
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Agreed but I can't think of a reason for transmission to drop that much fluid. And my return line was just leaking. I just had the transmission out for a rebuild too.
Robert DeFrang
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Transmissions, especially Fords, are known to leak over winter. It's just shrinking seals. Many are ok once topped off in the spring and driven and warmed regularly. It's daily leaking you should worry about in the summer.

Put a diaper under the car. It has become incontinent.
mikemm
Frequent Contributor

Post by mikemm »

Worn stator seal rings allow the torque convertor to leak down. This causes the fluid level in the pan to rise well above where it normally is.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

What is a "stator seal ring"? Is that something in the torque converter?

People seem to forget that rubber seals don't last forever, or even 10 years. Some last longer, but others do not.

The car is old. Stuff breaks. It happens.
mikemm
Frequent Contributor

Post by mikemm »

The seal rings are either metal or plastic rings which hold the fluid in the torque convertor, which is fed via the transmission pump..
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

Funny you posted that. I was just thinking how to prevent that from happening again. My mechanic had an explanation very similar to mikemm. The torqe convertor drained back into the transmission, raising the fluid level above the speedo cable fitting which was the exit point. An old seal there was was likly the culprit. This winter a pig mat and an occasional start to put the fluid back into the convertor should prevent a repeat performance.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
blkmk69
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by blkmk69 »

Hi Ken,

Front pump seal is leaking. As was mentioned, once the vehicle is started and warmed up, the seal will swell and the leak will stop. So, if an attempt is made to
start and move the vehicle, get one of those flat large pans, or card board to slide under under the trans and top off the fluid, initially add fluid, (dump in a little and check to see if it's pouring out or just a drip), if it's just dripping, continue adding at least 3 qts, start and recheck. If the fluid pours out, there's no alternate but to get the vehicle towed or risk the lost of a friendship.

If attempt is made to move out from garage, you may want to put card board down to protect your friend's driveway, the problem is if the front of car is lower than the back, fluid will pour out. As mentioned, the leak will stop once the drive train is warmed up, or the pump seal could be replaced, to solve the problem.

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”