1973 MARK IV project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1973 MARK IV project

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Fuel Pumps are cheap and available.

Let us know how that 750 carb works out for your fuel economy.
mr.niftie
Frequent Contributor

Post by mr.niftie »

Great project. I'll be following along :)
1973 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Edition, full load
2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid RIP
"They even have the Internet for computers now."
Homer Simpson
hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Well, the Lincoln is dead. Is was an enjoyable 2 months. 800 miles. Not sure if it's worth fixing. :smt010 :smt010 :smt010 :smt010

I guess I'll just cover it up for now, gather parts, and one day get back to her. I'm so sick right now, I could puke :smt010
1973 MK IV. Finally back on the road :)
mr.niftie
Frequent Contributor

Post by mr.niftie »

So what happened? Accident?
1973 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Edition, full load
2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid RIP
"They even have the Internet for computers now."
Homer Simpson
hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Not an accident, motor blew up. Was going down the freeway, had my little sister with me, coming back from a trip. LOUD KaBOOM and she shut off. Oil pressure had been ok (40 psi running) temp fluctuated between 195-210 (90* day) and I was doing about 65-70. Hilly terrain.

Coasted off the freeway, and into a gas station. Would not restart. Cranked fast/slow. Pulled distributor cap. Rotor cap not turning. Timing chain either jumped or blew (unknown mileage on motor and chain. I know I know)

Had her towed home (next door/my grammas house)

Was going to just park and leave her covered (selling my house and looking for other houses across the country) so I have no time to deal with this, and my little sister is here visiting for the month) but I couldn't stand it. I HAVE to find out WHAT happened.

Pulled the cap again, and was able to spin the rotor cap freely. That says that the distributor/gear is suspect. Pulled dizzy and confirmed that the roll pin sheared. Not sure that this is the cause or effect. Grabbed a spare distributor, swapped the guts over (destroyed the old dizzy. It was frozen solid in the motor and I had to use a pickle fork and pry bar to encourage the removal.)

Put the dizzy in and rocked the crank back and forth (major major slop, but rotor turned so chain intact)

Got it lined up TDC best I could. Wouldn't fire. Had to turn the dizzy 2 teeth counter clockwise. (May be due to the sloppy chain?)

Got her to fire, ran like crud, knocked lightly (not like mains, more like lifter tick) and smoked a bit. Shut her off REAL quick.

Went to pull the dizzy to turn the rotor 1 tooth again, and the oil pump drive gear pulled up and dropped into the pan (what it sounded like) so pan is coming off. I have to swap pans anyways because this one has a stripped drain plug. Blessing in disguise(?) Then timing cover is coming off and a new double roller is going on.

If it still knocks after this, then it'll have to stay parked. I don't have the time, money or energy, to deal with this
hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Got the old pan off. No chunks, metal shavings, or other bad signs. Oil is black, but nothing else bad. Got the oil pump drive shaft out of the pan haha. Took all day between running errands, but she is out

hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Got the spare pan from the shed. It was rustier than I remembered. Had to wire wheel inside and out. I was going to spray it black but used ford blue instead. Wish they had old ford blue, but it'll be under the car, so not really noticeable.

hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Old pan before. Cleaned up well

hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

How she sits now. Not in my yard, but next door at my grammas, since it was easier for the tow truck driver to unload the car. Had to make a temporary shade cover, that sun gets HOT!

hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Spent the past couple days under her. Pulled the pan, bought a new HV oil pump because I thought the one on it was a standard pump. Then I wiped the grime off the installed one, and it was the same part number as the one I bought. I was going to take the one I bought back, but I got to thinking. The distributor stopped turning, but the cam kept turning. Maybe that's the reason the roll pin sheared on the distributor gear. Maybe the oil pump either (1) seized completely, (2) had increased resistance (3) worn out because I had 2psi hot idle.

So, new pump, replaced pan with a good pan with a non stripped drain plug, new distributor, and a new oil filter and oil change.

Fired her up, 60 psi cold idle and 20 hot idle with 20w-50 oil. Runs ok. The plugs are crusty (pulled them to turn the motor by hand easier) so tune up is coming up.

Reached up and flexed the timing chain, and she had a LOT of slack. Gonna do a timing chain next month if it'll hold together for now.

Took her for a spin, and she ran ok. Smokes a bit, and has a miss (thinking valve) and smells super rich. Not sure why she would be rich. Only thing I did really was the new distributor. Hmm

So, she runs and drives again. I'm NOT giving up on her.
sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

The miss and running rich are most likely the symptoms of a bad cylinder. You should perform a compression check as i suspect you might have bent a valve. If that cylinder has no or very little compression then that would cause a miss and also the fuel mixture won't properly ignite and cause the rich condition coming out the tailpipe.

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build
hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

This dang thing called life keeps getting in the way :lol:

Compression test proved dismal. I knew it would because when we first got the engine, it had 2 crack pistons. Replaced just those because of money and time restraints (was my grampas doing, not mine)

Been slowly gathering parts. If I promised to buy parts from you, please pm me or email me. I had to do a factory reset on my phone and lost all info. I got super busy working, and lost track of time.

Anyways, I had been daily driving the Lincoln. Put many miles on her. But now am facing a new problem. Electrical this time. Battery dies overnight (brand new and tested good)

Symptoms are:

Volt gauge jumping around. Staying up close to 16v, so overcharging. Yet when I shut the Lincoln off, the battery is dead when I go to restart.

Haven't had a chance to diagnose just yet. What I have confirmed is that there's 12.5v at the battery when the car is off, 12.1 running. 11.9 running with headlights on, fan on, wipers going. Yet shows 16 at gauge in the car (aftermarket)

May not be able to address the issue until after the move (life happened and I'm moving across the country)

But I did find hens teeth at the local pick a part. Picked up another heater control (inside car) beautiful grille, another seat bottom I'll transfer the leather over, rear drivers armrest (in white. May sell if red one pops up for sell)

And the icing on the cake? Mint condition fresh air duct for the stock air cleaner. Now I can go back to the original set up.
Attachments
image.jpg
hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Took me a wile to find the above plastic ductwork. Between my Grampa and I, we've been looking for a couple decades haha.

Decided to put the air cleaner assembly back to stock, since now hopefully it'll draw cooler air rather than engine temp air.
Attachments
image.jpg
hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Finally got around to swapping the headlight switch and heater controls.

My heater controls were severely corroded and unknown wether they were functioning correctly.

Headlight switch was hard to pull out/push in. I also believe there was a vacuum leak that caused the headlights to creep open. Headlight doors used to stay down for a week or more. Then slowly, they wouldn't stay down for more than 5 minutes after shutdown.

Fired her up, and the voltage jumped around before staying at 9 while running. I think my alternator took a dive :(
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Put the "new" grille on. Mine was slightly bent and some vertical parts were uneven. Got this better one from pick a part. Chrome is slightly less shiny, but the grill is just about perfectly straight.
Attachments
My old grille
My old grille
New grille installed
New grille installed