1973 MARK IV project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

1973 MARK IV project

Post by hotrod429 »

So now that the Lincoln has been more reliable and I've been starting to fix the tiny little annoying things that don't seem like a problem but are.

So first thing to get her reliably going was a new carb. The old one "worked" if I didn't want to accelerate or step on the gas.
I put on an edelbrock 750. I still have to clean up the fuel line install with a 90* and re route it from between the heater hoses. If I can find an aluminum intake that fits, I'll de "smog" the car and clean up the engine bay.
Attachments
image.jpg
1973 MK IV. Finally back on the road :)
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 1973 MARK IV project

Post by hotrod429 »

I went and picked up some parts yesterday from Charles AKA LCont72 here on the board. Really awesome guy, and we even tested the remote trunk release and power window relay on his beautiful car. Unfortunately I didn't take the Lincoln. He's about 100 miles away and while I'm more comfortable driving the Lincoln, that's just out of my comfort range in this car. It's known as not too reliable and I'm trying to fix that.

Anyway, I picked up:
•Radio surround as a spare. Gonna cut mine up to install a CD player but wanted one if I want to go back to an old radio I could.
•gear position indicator selector cable.
•remote trunk release mechanism/trunk latch
•Power window relay
•NOS trunk lock/glove box lock/latch
Attachments
image.jpg
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

Started with the trunk release mechanism. The actuator works on the old one but still doesn't release. It rattles when shaken. The new one doesn't rattle, so I'm guessing something's broken on the old one haha. Old one on the left and new one on the right.
Attachments
image.jpg
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

Then installed the NOS trunk lock. Now I can push the button or use the key. It's the little things in life :D

Never mind the dirty paint :( I live on a dirt road and this is only after one day of being washed. :(

Old lock on the left. NOS installed. I installed the glove box lock too, no pics. Now I have a matching set :) and a neat original key. Showed my mom and she said it looked familiar. The keys I have are worn flat :shock:
Attachments
image.jpg
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

So after coming to the sad realization that my car is not original, I've decided to just enjoy it.

I got a spare radio surround, and picked between the 2 which one was in better condition, and cut up the one that was worse off. The radio is off set in the hole due to the location of one of the mounting studs. It doesn't look too terrible. I'm going to remove the remaining chrome tomorrow morning. For now though, it's together as a test fit.
Attachments
Before
Before
After
After
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

Ok, so I encountered a tiny problem. Even though the fascia had been clearanced, the dash was a bit small. If you notice, I was able to preserve the structural integrity of 3 of the holes, and 90% of the bottom right one. I can still go back to the original setup and won't be noticeable
Attachments
image.jpg
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

I'll save the gory details, but after some persuasion, it slipped right in. This is test fit number one. I need to re glue my surround, so for now it looks bad, but I slipped it on there for looks.
Attachments
image.jpg
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

Pulled the surround back out and pulled the radio back out to do the wiring. Still have to find a constant power source for memory, but otherwise it's done. I have to pull it back out again, but this is it. I started to remove the original chrome but it started leaving a big gap, so I left it. The trim will cover it.
Attachments
image.jpg
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I usually pull constant power from the cigarette lighter lead. It's usually right in the area of the head unit. In your case, it looks like it's right above your head unit.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

Chad Gasket wrote:I usually pull constant power from the cigarette lighter lead. It's usually right in the area of the head unit. In your case, it looks like it's right above your head unit.
That's the plan. While I was doing the radio, I decided to replace the gear indicator cable or whatever it's called. Got wrapped up in that and had to leave it alone for the day. So it's put back together and drivable, but I didn't get a chance to hook up constant power yet. Tomorrow AM.

I'll keep saying it. It's the little things. Every time I would look down at the gear indicator, and see it stuck at D, I'd get discouraged. Now it works like it should, and it feels a LOT more like a car haha.

Next is front brake replacement (calipers, pads, hoses, etc)
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I hear ya. Sometimes you need to do a few of those little things just to get a sense of accomplishing something. I call it them my feel good days.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

Keep at her Kevin! You're doing great and have come a long way.
Drivers '70 Continental Coupe; '77 Continental Convertible; '79 CS Town Car; '78 Mark V; '77 Mark V
Projects '69 Mark III Convertible
For Sale '78 Town Car Convertible Project; '70/73 Town Coupe Project(s)
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

One step forward, 10 steps back :evil:

Replaced the front drivers caliper and brake hose, so now I have brakes again :lol:

But now I have a leaking fuel pump. It's the original, and was replaced at one time. Then the replacement went out and this one went back on. It's worked fine for the past 600 miles, but now it leaks. It works fine running, but when you shut her off, I guess the residual pressure makes it seep out? I was at the feed store and noticed a 12"x12" spot under the car in about 5-10 minutes. Ordered a replacement again and it'll be here in the AM. Ugh
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

A couple things addressed today. Oil change. Filled her up with 50wt. Oil pressure up a bit, but no more lifter noise.

"Original" fuel pump started to leak when I shut the car off. Took a chance on a "precision pump" from oriellys. She's running so much better. But I'm still on the lookout for a NOS pump, or an American sourced part.

Not sure you can see in the pic, but the two holes are where gas pours out of haha
Attachments
image.jpg
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

Finally got around to replacing the passenger side caliper. It wasn't bad, but I decided to have both fronts new at the same time. I got rebuilt, so at least the casting is USA.

Took the passenger side off, and it still looked good.

Well, I had lost all brakes completely. I figured it was the passenger caliper, or hose. Nope. But I did find out why. Oh and I found out why when I pumped the brakes, the car smoked on takeoff. Turns out that the master cylinder was leaking in the back, and the fluid was being sucked in the booster. It would smoke BAD lol. But now I have brakes again. Yay. But the car pulls to the left now

Here you can see fluid from the leaky master