Looking for BOOT (ACCELERATOR SHAFT): C1VV 9A873-B....

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Looking for BOOT (ACCELERATOR SHAFT): C1VV 9A873-B....

Post by Dan Szwarc »

OK, fellow Lincoln-hackers: I have beautiful solution to the throttle boot issue.

I have purchased a clutch pedal boot for a 65-66 Mustang from eBay for $15. Without knowing the size, it looked like I could make it work. The PN is C5ZZ-7533 (probably -A, but that's not what's on the bag). The boot is made from very thick rubber and has an opening at the end that is much larger than the shaft.
Original boot and replacement substitute
Original boot and replacement substitute
Notice the angle of the end of the replacement boot is not the same. It's not as important since it is rubber and can flex.

I decided it was easier to fabricate a bracket from scratch than to make the original bracket work with the new boot. This allowed me to take advantage of the mounting lip on the new boot. The bracket is made from 20g weldable steel. The original was a little thinner (22ga, probably).
Fabrication of new bracket.
Fabrication of new bracket.
New and old boots with brackets.
New and old boots with brackets.
I'm not sure why, but my stupid brain told me to mount the boot higher instead of the middle of the bracket. In other words, I may have overthought how to compensate for the angle. I may have to make it again from scratch with the boot centered.

New and old boot with bracket
New and old boot with bracket
Not pictured is the full rubber gasket made from sheet rubber. It's the same shape as the bracket and glued to it. It's the same thickness as the flange on the boot and provides the seal that the round boot cannot due to its shape. The original boot was also the gasket for the bracket.

It fits pretty well, but was a pain to fit because of the parking brake cable and the exhaust. Final pics:
New Boot mounted to car.
New Boot mounted to car.
Boot attached to bellcrank brackets for throttle
Boot attached to bellcrank brackets for throttle
To make up for the larger opening, I took a rubber cap from my vacuum rubber cap supplies, punched a 1/4" hole in the end, and then stuck it into the end of the boot. There's plenty of friction to hold it in place, but it could be glued to the boot. The throttle shaft can move along the end cap if it has to or the boot can compress like the original.

We'll see how long this lasts.

Total time: probably 6-8 hours, including cutting the bracket, grinding, bending, drilling, milling, punching, painting, and baking. It made it over two days.
Attachments
Throttle Boot mounted to car.
Throttle Boot mounted to car.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Dan, that's brilliant!! Okay, then, looks like I now have an answer to seal up that big gaping hole in the bottom of Frankenstein! Thank you for posting this!

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

Excellent work Dan! I'm going to send all my customers that need this boot to you!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

At my rates, it would be $100-150 each!

Maybe I could draw the part out for others to use as a pattern. Of course, I had to make two and bend them before I had it right.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Curious--how about a '67 - '73 Mustang boot? I saw one posted on E-Bay; it's a bit different from the '65/6 boot, but it has an angle on it that could possibly also work, if not work better. Here's a picture of it; anyone post yea, nay, or may. I did, however, buy a '65/6 boot just a few minutes ago just in case; but I wonder if this would work also.

---Tony
Attachments
1967 - '73 Mustang Clutch Rod Boot from E-Bay
1967 - '73 Mustang Clutch Rod Boot from E-Bay
ml3Atp4sp8-oyE-CtIXS45Q.jpg (2.45 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Last edited by TonyC on Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

That will work. Any decent boot will, but you have to fabricate the bracket that covers the hole.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Luckily, that's what I do best. I did that job almost a week after my last post, with a '66 'Stank boot--the only one on E-Bay at that time, I remember. I didn't really have to discard the old bracket; with a liberal amount of Automotive Goop I was able to make it work and completely seal that hole. And almost two years on, it still is holding.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Mark II Enterprises has this part number listed as a grommet. Don't know how much.
http://www.rearcounter.com/C1VV-9A873-B ... 21734.html
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I got the right PN. I doubt they are NOS.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Just updating an old post with some recent intel. I was a National Parts Depot this past weekend and noticed they have boots in-stock for Mustangs and Cougars. I found one in a Cougar catalog and the parts man brought me one to look at. I already tackled this job so didn't need the boot, but was curious about the size and fit. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with one of these Mustang / Cougar clutch pedal rod seals.

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

That's the boot I used. You just have to fabricate a new metal bracket to hold and mount it.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Detroit Deviant makes this among other Lincoln 61-69 gear. https://echelondesignworks.godaddysites ... t-assembly.

I bought one. Haven't taken the time to put it on yet.

29 dollars US.

Rob
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 1.56.12 PM.png
Robert DeFrang
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

wow i haven't heard of that store before. they have some weird and wonderful parts
1961 Sedan
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

A couple of months ago I found that my boot and bracket were toast so had to find a new set. I ended up at one of the Usual Suspects but wished I knew of Defrang's source sooner. The Detroit Deviant price is reasonable. Maybe they'll venture into making more products?

Mark
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

It is excellent quality
Robert DeFrang