1973 Town Car - what did i get myself into?

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

1973 Town Car - what did i get myself into?

Post by Castrosua »

So i saw this add, and figured, for the price, its worth a look. Im thinking parts car, since a lot of the parts from 73 will work for my 72, and sell off the stuff i dont need (like vent windows, front windows etc)

So i see the car, and its being sold by some car flippers, or guys that trailered it from where they bought it in NY. Clearly the title was still in the original owners name.

Now, i look at the car, and ill let you give an opinion. Should i part the car out? or should i save her from the crusher?
275.jpg
276.jpg
277.jpg
278.jpg
279.jpg
280.jpg
281.jpg
282.jpg
So what is bad with the car
-it was hit at some point and a crappy repair done to the corner, heavy bondo, and rot through the front fender, the bad one being the drivers side, and the molding between the fender and bumper
-missing passenger vent window, with a lot of residue from tape all around. (granted that part is minor)
-brakes are really weak. I have to press them all the way down to stop, although this could be just air in the system
-missing fender skirts
-missing air filter pan
-the usual non working ac
-bad wood mouldings on the top of the doors (Town Car thing)
-hole in the rear quarter, on the inner part of the drivers side peak
-dent in trunk lid
-hood and trunk close kind of funny, not like mine, smooth and gentle
-vinyl top is creeping at the bottom of the rear window, and there maybe rust under it in the sail panels
-needs basically four new white walls, since the front tires, even new, are not white walls
-power windows wont engage (might be just switches or fuses) and power seats dont seem to want to do everything

the good now

-virtually no rust underneath the car, floor boards, trunk floor.
-doors have zero rust, (as in they can be parted lol)
-it is complete, as far as trim, minus the skirts
-the chrome is very nice
-no tears in the leather inside, and the interior is nice, although really, dusty and dirty.
-unmolested, radio is still there, with a tape player, and the radio at least still works.
-new dual exhaust, although no rezonators.
-engine is outstanding, starts up without any issues and idles smooth (i can get it even better, this is just how the car was as i got it)
-headlight doors stay down! so far for 8 hours, so that makes me think the vacuum lines thoughout the car are decent
-the warm and fuzzies that i might save a decent triple black town car from the crusher (does that count?)

So then, im tempted to just bring her back to glory. The funny thing other than the fenders, and the posible rust under the vinyl roof, the body is very, very straight, and no rust, even better than Lorelei. And she runs and drives, plus, i have a whole boatload of parts that just werent good enough for her, that still work fine (relays, etc) that i might need and not have to spend. Hell i even have fender skirts. i just need the window lol

So, part her out or save another Continental? (as if i dont expect the answer already lol)
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
wasagachris
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 1973 Town Car - what did i get myself into?

Post by wasagachris »

Save it of course. Would you expect me to say anything else.
1961 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan,
1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car 4 Dr,
1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series Stars & Stripes Edition
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Drive that beast.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Looks too nice to junk it. If you don't want it, let me buy it and ill fix it up. That car will be stunning when fixed up.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

Save it! It looks too nice to let it go to the crusher. After everything you have done with your '72, it shouldn't be too difficult to return this '73 to its former glory. That car appears to have a lot of potential, in my opinion. And triple black! How can you go wrong? It should end up being a decent driver, at least.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

LithiumCobalt wrote:Looks too nice to junk it. If you don't want it, let me buy it and ill fix it up. That car will be stunning when fixed up.
Agreed. I love this one. The early 70's TC is awesome and just shouts luxury. That cushy interior and sweet dash, just add to the stunning exterior styling of those years. The black color is choice! 8)
The spare tire would look better in the trunk, though. :lol:
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Save it!! They don't make them anymore.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

wasagachris wrote:Save it of course. Would you expect me to say anything else.
i kind of expected you to say that lol

But so far, barring anything really really nasty that i find, i will be starting work on it. starting with electrical stuff and cleaning. ill worry about body work and vinyl top later. and im not scared of taking it apart because i have so many extra parts, some that werent good enough for Lorelei, but they work and will do fine on this one.

The thing i have been thinking about too, is do i try to do a normal restoration, or a restomod. The full restoration will cost a lot, because of the vynil roof, paint etc, but a resto mod would save the car, but also i could take stuff of it for the 72
Suicidekid63 wrote:
LithiumCobalt wrote:Looks too nice to junk it. If you don't want it, let me buy it and ill fix it up. That car will be stunning when fixed up.
Agreed. I love this one. The early 70's TC is awesome and just shouts luxury. That cushy interior and sweet dash, just add to the stunning exterior styling of those years. The black color is choice! 8)
The spare tire would look better in the trunk, though. :lol:
yeah, i thought so too, the guys that bought it just wanted to gut it for the engine and trans. since it starts up and runs very nicely. but still, until i can balance a cigarette on the engine while shes running, i wont settle :D
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Castrosua wrote: The thing i have been thinking about too, is do i try to do a normal restoration, or a restomod. The full restoration will cost a lot, because of the vynil roof, paint etc, but a resto mod would save the car, but also i could take stuff of it for the 72
A restomod involves paint too doesn't it? I'd say leave her pure, but I am also a stock guy. It's your car, you gotta be happy with it!
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
wasagachris
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by wasagachris »

My vote is for pure stock original as well. If it was good enough for Lincoln to sell in the day then why mess it up.
1961 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan,
1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car 4 Dr,
1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series Stars & Stripes Edition
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

My vote is for a restoration as close to original as possible. That interior will be gorgeous with some cleaning and detailing. :) Even the driver's cushion does not appear to be sunken, torn, worn, or unduly wrinkled or cracked. But those donkey's appendage tailpipes just gotta go! I think that you just might find the missing right front vent window inside the door.

-Charles
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

i was thinking that too about the vent window. because the piece that seals the vent and the normal window is gone too, so most likely it jumped the rail and dropped in the door

I had to go back to the seller to get a stupid dmv form signed, because apparently in the computer they wanted me to pay taxes on the car rated at almost 7 grand :shock: . seriously? so i drove back, got the form so ill try again.

Of course they told me this AFTER the 3 hour wait, and to top it all off, my daily driver had to be towed home because the started just died. And no, banging on it didnt help, nor did giving more juice with a jump. Its rotted out (how does a started rot out..beats me)

Still, tomorrow im getting a master cylinder, just to have in case i need it, so saturday with plates i can drive her home. Im going to have help bleeding the brakes too, and maybe wax the outside a bit so the landlady doesnt think i bought a heep :grin:
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have the 73 shop manual and schematics.
Heavymetal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Heavymetal »

The black on black is an extremely cool find.
1974 Lincoln Continental TC
Heavymetal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Heavymetal »

I think you should name this one Blackjack... lol.
1974 Lincoln Continental TC