The Right Way to Change ATF on 97 Towncar?

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
hippieelmo
Occasional Visitor

The Right Way to Change ATF on 97 Towncar?

Post by hippieelmo »

Wanted to know the right way to change the ATF fluid on a 97 Towncar. I see that most shops suck the fluid out. Are you suppose to drop the pan instead?

Sucking the fluid out wouldn't get all the fluid out of the pan..

I see the shops suck the antifreeze out also, does this do damage to the water pump?

Shea
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: The Right Way to Change ATF on 97 Towncar?

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Hi Shea,

My preferred method is to have a flush done. This removes all of the fluid from the transmission, cooling lines, torque converter and the whole nine yards. Dropping the pan is not necessary for this method.

Flushing of either the coolant or the transmission fluid should not do any damage. I know the transmission flush works with the same pressure as during normal use. Not sure about the coolant flush, but I can't imagine anything would be damaged. At least, I've never heard of it happening.

If you have a flush done on the transmission fluid, make sure to specify only Mercon V fluid, none of the universal one-size-fits-all non-sense.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sucking it out is the pansy, cheap-ass way to do it. It's not a complete drain.
hippieelmo
Occasional Visitor

Post by hippieelmo »

Are you suppose to do a complete drain?
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

hippieelmo wrote:Are you suppose to do a complete drain?
A complete drain is to flush it, not suck it out. Or, you can drop the pan and also drain the torque converter. That will get almost all of it.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

I look forward to doing most anything on these cars but trans fluid changing I leave to the pros to flush it. It's such a filthy messy job that never be done as cleanly or as fully as a flush. Yea, it might be a few buck more but well worth it. :) With the correct additives, my '02 Blackwood was $180.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I agree with you, John. I have noticed that the price of these flushes have seemed to rise just within the last couple of years. It wasn't too long ago that my dealer would do these for $119 or $129. Now, you're lucky if you can get it for $149 with a coupon, though.
Nick

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”