How can I pinpoint certain aspects of my Lincoln?

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

maroonman77

How can I pinpoint certain aspects of my Lincoln?

Post by maroonman77 »

I have a 77 Continental with the 400 engine. It's a maroon two-door and has no vinyl roof. I recently bought it for $1300 and has been my daily driver. After fiddling with the idle screw, it runs perfectly. I have a few questions about it, though. First, how do I know if it's just a Continental 2-door or if it's a Town Coupe? I didn't even know there was a difference until someone told me recently. Also, it has no vinyl roof. How can I tell if it originally had no vinyl roof or if someone took it off at some point? Finally, and this question is the one I don't think I'll get an answer to, my odometer reads 84000 but the person I bought it from did not know if it had already rolled over. Is there any way of knowing if it has or not? Thank you so much for your help!

ps. I believe the grill is gold because a former owner painted it, some engine components are painted the same color gold.
LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: How can I pinpoint certain aspects of my Lincoln?

Post by LINC400 »

A Town Coupe would be badged as such. Also if the seats are pillow topped, those are Town Coupe seats.

It looks like the vinyl top was removed at some point. I do not believe you would have the band over the roof with the opera lights if it had a vinyl top delete.

Check the wear on the gas and brake pedal as well as general wear on the interior. It would be pretty worn with 180,000+ miles on it. It is unlikely that it has that many miles on it, but it is possible.

Someone painted the grille gold, that is not factory. Only the '79 Collectors Series 4 door had a gold grille.

Looks like a very good deal for $1300
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier
maroonman77

Post by maroonman77 »

Thank you. My suspicions match pretty well with what you replied. I think the vinyl top was removed at some point as well. However, that is the only place I know of a Town Coupe badge. Do you know where else one would be? On the headlight and interior it has a "Lincoln Continental" one but when i seen a Town Coupe before at a junkyard the only place I remember seeing one is on the vinyl top.
maroonman77

Post by maroonman77 »

Also, I've uploaded a picture of my passenger seat because I wasn't sure what you meant by "pillow-topped". Can you verify if it is a Town Coupe by this picture? Thanks again.

LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LINC400 »

Your picture shows only the headrest and Lincoln emblem. I need to see the whole seat. Town Coupe seats would have one square button in the middle of a big X. Continental seats would have a bunch of little squares with round buttons in between.

It also says Town Coupe on the dash, but I think some years did not have it there.

Also it looks like your rear bumper is starting to bend down. These have a tendency to fall off. You should have that addressed before it does.
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

I can confirm by your photo, that your car is a Town Coupe with the standard Valleao Velour upholstery. The standard fabric interior did not have the embroidery on the seat. As a Town Coupe, the car came standard with the vinyl top. What is missing is the Town Coupe logo, which was mounted on the sail panel of the roof. Other standard features of the Town Coupe, twin comfort lounge seats with manual recliner for both passenger and driver and six way power seats for both sides, dual fold down arm rest in the front, Carpeted trunk and spare tire concealment curtain, coach lamps, and power mini vent windows. Hope this helps.
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
maroonman77

Post by maroonman77 »

Yes, thank you! I am fairly certain my car is indeed a Town Coupe now. As for my rear bumper, it is only connected on one side. However, I don't know how I will be able to connect on the other side due to rust. Thanks again!
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Hope you're not driving in front of my '77 when your bumper falls off. Find a way to restrain it or take it off. It's horribly irresponsible to let it just dangle.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!