Do younger members care about Facebook, Twitter, etc.?

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Do younger members care about Facebook, Twitter, etc.?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I am working a new web design for the Michigan Region using a complicated template.
It includes neat features for linking to Facebook, showing Twitter feeds, and other social media.

For those of you who are members or considering becoming members of the National LCOC, do you think that the club having a FB page or Twitter account for getting news is worthwhile to you? What kind of information would you want to see in a Facebook or Twitter feed?

The current club's directors are not using any social media for promoting the club. It may take 10+ years to get people in charge who are FB and Twitter savvy.

What are your opinions regarding how the club could use these things to inform members about club things? Outside of the Continental Comments Magazine, what would you expect to see in a FB or Twitter feed?

If you are NOT a member of the LCOC, your opinion is still valuable if we can do something to help convince you to joing using these social media tools.

Thanks.
Spot
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Do younger members care about Facebook, Twitter, etc.?

Post by Spot »

I would like to see news and pics about meetings on a LCOC Facebook site, because as a non-LCOC member I rarely visit the LCOC site, nor do I read the magazine.
( I'm not an LCOC member, doesnt make much sense for one who's living on the other side of the big ocean...)
1977 Lincoln Continental Coupe (unrestored survivor in Dark Red Moondust)
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve.
Let the chips fall where they may !
(Tyler Durden, Fight Club)
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

I like Nick Sanford's site.
http://thelincolnnetwork.com/
Hopefully you're working with him.
Also, the Western Region has a Facebook site. You can talk to Jeremy about that.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lincoln-a ... 2618840567
I won't comment as to whether Facebook or Twitter is important to me since I'm not a younger member.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Spot wrote:I would like to see news and pics about meetings on a LCOC Facebook site, because as a non-LCOC member I rarely visit the LCOC site, nor do I read the magazine.
( I'm not an LCOC member, doesnt make much sense for one who's living on the other side of the big ocean...)
So you want to see pics, but you don't want to go to the website for it? Is it because Facebook would put it in your feed automatically?
Spot
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Spot »

Yes Facebook put in in automatically. Like Automotive Milepost etc. Thats quite cool.
In generell people visit facebook every few days. Visiting the LCOC site every day doesn't make much sense.
And because you rarely visit the site and got your own Lincoln and local guys, you just forget about the pics on the LCOC website.
1977 Lincoln Continental Coupe (unrestored survivor in Dark Red Moondust)
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve.
Let the chips fall where they may !
(Tyler Durden, Fight Club)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Makes sense. The existence of an online presence has changed in the last few years. Instead of a prominent website people have to visit, it makes more sense to have a Facebook account, post an update that links to a page on one's website.

Don't expect the LCOC to post the pics on Facebook, though.
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

I like to check Jalopnik occasionally, but I also "like" them on facebook, so a new article will show up in a facebook post as a link. Twitter is so full of useless garbage posts that I no longer participate in that. But that's all just my humble opinion.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I always wondered why the Forum hasn't had a Facebook page. I think there was a post in 2011 here about this, but it never went anywhere. There are Lincoln owner groups on FB, but most are just for pictures and such. I would "like" it if the Forum had a page. Twitter... who cares.
Last edited by Suicidekid63 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by jsanford »

The LCOC should have set up a FB page long ago, it takes all of ten minutes, if only to provide a link to the website. The person who does the website should control the FB page, write a description, post pictures from past events, etc. As Jim mentioned, I created a FB page for the Western Region a while back, its really just a way to let people know we exist. I don't post regular status updates or links, occasionally I post a picture from events using my iPhone, simple and easy.

Jeremy
LCOC Western Region Webmaster & Northern CA Activities Coordinator.
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Definately not a younger member but I'll cast a vote for a Lincoln Owners Facebook page.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I'll likely create a FB page for the national LCOC. I really don't like the way people use FB (posts about nothing), but I guess it has its legitimate uses.

I guess we'll be discussing these social media technologies at the winter meeting in Orlando.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Just be careful what you categorize as "younger members", Dan. Some of us may not consider us "older".... :D :D :D
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I don't really use FB all that much. I think it's a waste of time. Although, I'm not your typical member of the under-30 demographic either. I love Lincolns afterall. :D I think you have to consider who your target audience is going to be with FB. Most people that would typically use FB are not interested in Lincolns. On the other hand, FB and other social media outlets seems to be the trend. More exposure certainly would not hurt the club and with the relatively easy setup, I'd say there's really no downside. Just don't expect the average age of your typical LCOC member to drop 20 years over night :D Props to you Dan for always looking for new ways to advance the club.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
78Cartier
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 78Cartier »

I'm 32, so I don't know if I'd be considered a "younger" LCOC member or not. I finally gave in and created a Facebook profile a few months ago. Considering it's free, the LCOC has nothing to lose by creating a profile on there (I don't use Twitter, so therefore can't speak for it). Of course, someone in the club would have to volunteer his/her time for posting updates about meets and what not....that may be the stickiest part of the deal (finding someone dedicated and willing). As far as content goes, reminders/FYI's in the "Newsfeed" about upcoming club events/meets/elections would be nice. But, even if nobody was interested in something involving that kind of maintenance, simply having a complete profile/presence out there with info about the club (website address) in general may help lure new (and perhaps younger?) members.
1978 Continental Mark V Cartier
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

If you are under 50, you are considered young in LCOC membership terms.

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”