Lincolns and typical value

This area is for members to post Lincoln-related automotive items for sale or trade (help the buyer find you!). Auction links are allowed. Dealers in automotive parts are discouraged from using this free bulletin board to advertise their "for profit" sales. Personal sales are encouraged to help Lincoln owners fix their cars. Please post to your message if the item has been sold. All posts over 90 days old will be deleted.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Lincolns and typical value

Post by Steve K »

It sold. Did you buy it?
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
boostedty4

Post by boostedty4 »

Steve K wrote:It sold. Did you buy it?
Yeah I was the high bidder.
1968 Sedan
vindicator
Frequent Contributor

Post by vindicator »

HI, looking for advise/opinions on selling my 79 mark v CS, blue with original 27,000 miles. It looks, drives, shifts, stops like you would expect a car with 27K miles to be. Everything works with ice cold A/C, new tires and rebuilt carb. all else original. I put an add on CarsOnLine and on Caigs list. Lots of looks, requests for more info and pictures but no offers. Asking 12,500. Too much? place add other places? If you want more info or pict let me know. All advise/opinions welcome.
Thank you for your help, Vin :grin:
79 mark v collector series
88 signature series
97 town car triple black
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Green/green/white 1966 convertible, 58K miles, just sold at Mecum Harrisburg for a hammer price of $23,500.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

CaptainDave wrote:Green/green/white 1966 convertible, 58K miles, just sold at Mecum Harrisburg for a hammer price of $23,500.
That's low mileage but without knowing the condition of the car the price does not have much meaning. Do you know what condition the car was?
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Here it is: https://www.mecum.com/lots/PA0817-29445 ... nvertible/

Looks to be pretty nice.

Here's a Mark II at the same auction that went for dirt cheap:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/PA0817-29436 ... l-mark-ii/
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I want to ask a hypothetical to those here. I know this is difficult to answer, but if you were in the market for a 60s sedan, what is the absolute most that you would pay for one? Assume paint condition/chrome/trim was above average, interior was very nice (only minimal normal wear) and everything was in working order. Basically an all around good sedan with little work to be done.
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

vindicator wrote:HI, looking for advise/opinions on selling my 79 mark v CS, blue with original 27,000 miles.
I sold mine earlier this year after listing it for 6 mos. Listed it for $8k w/72k miles in excellent condition. It was straight, no dents/dings scratches, wet sanded paint glossier than factory, perfect mechanics after going through the car for five years, 9/10 interior, and all options worked or I fixed them to work and it had everything that was in the brochure except CB radio. Even the 8 track player worked and came with an armrest full of tapes.

I had it on a couple of the usual collector car sites and local Craigslist. Almost no interest, and they all were tire kickers with endless requests for pics despite tons of hi res images in my listings, and $2-3k "offers". I finally shipped it to a car nut in Japan for full asking. I don't think Collector Series trim adds anything to these cars, other than they at least don't come in fugly colors and don't have the base interior, and some buyers really seek out the non-opera window cars.

Depending how nice yours is and dialed in mechanically, $12,500 is not outrageous, but there is just no market for '70s Lincolns. Five figure price tags on these cars is intimidating to most buyers, I think. I've seen $10k+ examples listed over and over for years on some sites.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Want forum members valued opinions about this car.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253122819862?ul_noapp=true

I am going to see it Sunday. I see some things that I would likely have to "fix" right off the bat. Difficult to value this one. What do you think is fair? Looks like a solid car. Not too much to bitch about that I can see. Typical separation in speaker grille on dash, upholstery will need replaced on the front seat (if SMS even has it) and the rear-end looks like it is sitting too high for some reason. Off with the mudflaps and the miscolored trunk lock cover. Can you tell what the hell color it is?
Looks yellow in some shots and in others it just looks like Ford white. Lay it on me. What do you see?
Nick
wmaloney
Frequent Contributor

Post by wmaloney »

I am no expert and really know little about the 1969s but I agree with your initial assessment: it looks like a pretty nice car overall. Exterior, interior, engine, even the one partial shot from underneath looks good. Like you said there is definitely something wrong with the ride height, but I am not sure if it is sagging in the front or too high in the back! The photos could be better in terms of detail so it's good that you are going to see and presumably drive it in person. In terms of color (I can't say definitively either) you probably have access to the dataplate color codes already but per Automotive Mileposts the closest 1969 colors that it could be would be M (white), R (light gold) and W (yellow). However I think I see one area of overspray - the second engine bay photo - at the front right corner of the engine bay it looks like there is paint on a bundle of wires. Lastly there looks to be an aftermarket something or other under the center of the dash but presumably that can be removed if you want. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
Bill Maloney
1963 LC Convertible
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Thanks Bill. I've been looking for a long time and nothing really seems to meet my requirements. This one isn't too horrible far away so suppose I will know more Sunday. That dohickey on the transmission tunnel is actually a rare factory option - the FM stereo multiplexer.
Nick
vindicator
Frequent Contributor

Post by vindicator »

sold my 79 V CS. 27 k miles. Like new. You know what I mean when I say I just got sick of dealing with the public. I gave it to a dealer for 10k dollars. Just letting you all know and I appreciate all opinions and comments. Thanks. Vin
79 mark v collector series
88 signature series
97 town car triple black
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

LithiumCobalt wrote:Want forum members valued opinions about this car.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253122819862?ul_noapp=true

I am going to see it Sunday. I see some things that I would likely have to "fix" right off the bat. Difficult to value this one. What do you think is fair? Looks like a solid car. Not too much to bitch about that I can see. Typical separation in speaker grille on dash, upholstery will need replaced on the front seat (if SMS even has it) and the rear-end looks like it is sitting too high for some reason. Off with the mudflaps and the miscolored trunk lock cover. Can you tell what the hell color it is?
Looks yellow in some shots and in others it just looks like Ford white. Lay it on me. What do you see?
I agree with the other comments so far with the exception of the repaint one. Not that it hasn't been repainted, but my eye can't find the wires with the overspray that was mentioned. I do see something funky with the mufflers and pipes. In the underside photo you can see how far off they are from each other using the drive shaft as the center line. One is dented which is no big deal but when you look at the pic of the rear of the car, the tail pipes are not the same or not at the same angle. That might be the way they were originally bent, or it could be a continuation of a bend further up and not shown in the pic, My concern would be that it's not flush and tight at the manifold. I'd make sure there is no big manifold leak. I hate when they intentionally brush over flaws. There is no good pic of the driver's seat. The fabric could be ok and it may just need the padding repaired. I'm dubious of whether that multiplexer is a factory option. If it is they sure made no effort to make it match or compliment the rest of the interior. But again, no big deal as it could be removed if you are a purist, I suggest it's a lemon yellow color with a gold interior. Based on the color chart I agree it could be M (white) or W (yellow). Interior looks to be light ivy gold.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have just recently acquired a 66 convertible in primer and bondo form. It has a decent driver original interior. 75k miles. Runs, but is not driveable beyond small moving around (brakes need work).

It's mostly there, but has some serious issues underneath and with Windows and the top. The black leather rear seat is in very good condition.

It's for sale. I've seen total wrecks asking $5000. This way better. Any ideas what's fair?
Attachments
IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2037.JPG
IMG_2008.JPG
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

wmaloney wrote:I am no expert and really know little about the 1969s but I agree with your initial assessment: it looks like a pretty nice car overall. Exterior, interior, engine, even the one partial shot from underneath looks good. Like you said there is definitely something wrong with the ride height, but I am not sure if it is sagging in the front or too high in the back! The photos could be better in terms of detail so it's good that you are going to see and presumably drive it in person. In terms of color (I can't say definitively either) you probably have access to the dataplate color codes already but per Automotive Mileposts the closest 1969 colors that it could be would be M (white), R (light gold) and W (yellow). However I think I see one area of overspray - the second engine bay photo - at the front right corner of the engine bay it looks like there is paint on a bundle of wires. Lastly there looks to be an aftermarket something or other under the center of the dash but presumably that can be removed if you want. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
Had the seller take a shot of the driver door placard. Code R (light gold) it is. Don't think I've seen another in this color. Interior is Code AY (nugget gold). Might be passing on this one. Too Cadillac-esque with the color scheme. Checking it out at noon tomorrow.
Nick