Convertible top wireless remote

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Convertible top wireless remote

Post by Sal »

Hi All..

I came across this offering at "The Birds Nest" which offers parts for 1958-1966 Ford Thunderbirds. It is a remote control that operates
the convertible top. Since the Lincoln Top system works exactly like the Thunderbird, I thought that I would give it a try.
I called The Birds Nest and spoke with one of the owners, "Griff" and he hooked me up with a plug and play system for my 63LCC. Basically, to install it
all you have to do is separate the connector closest to the top switch and plug this unit in. To complete the install you also need to attach a ground
wire at any convenient point.
Now I can stand back and operate the top with the small remote. What a thrill!!! It will be fun to use at a car show, stand back wait till people are looking at the car and make the car come alive!!
Here's the link: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... Z50000030c

Cheers,Sal
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Re: Convertible top wireless remote

Post by toddallen »

Nice. I saw a guy at a car show that made one of these for his Ford Skyliner from a movie projector remote- pretty cool.

Do you have to splice any wires? It does not appear that the plug is the same as the switch (round terminal three in a row connector)
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Not exactly sure if this is going to work as the Lincoln has 2 more wires than the T-Bird. The difference is the t-bird had a manual header lock and the Lincoln has automatic. The only way that I see this working is if it is nothing more than a remote control power switch that replaces the dash and/or gas door area key lock switch. IMHO it will not eliminate any on the switches or relays needed for the top to work.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

also would appear if it nothing more than a remote control power switch you would have to hold the key fob switch (up or down button) the same way as the dash or rear key switch. I'm not exactly sure what you get for $200.00 that you don't already have?
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Hi Todd

All I had to do was to move the power 12v feed from the switch side of the connector to the power line on the other side of the connector. There is no electrical change in the operation, the power feed only affects the operation of the remote device. The Bird Nest supplied the appropriate connectors, already installed on the remote device. They were able to do this because I sent them a digital photo of the connector.
It's all really simple and it works nicely.

RMAENV

It works fine as I posted! As a matter of fact it works better on the lincoln because a lincoln does not have a manual header. It completes the operation without human intervention. It does not disable the convertible top switch in the car. It works fine also. It's not supposed to eliminate anything, its supposed to remotely operate the top.
It is as you guessed, a remote control power switch.
People love to see the convertible top sequence, now I don't have to put my fat butt in the car to do so. I can just stand back, push a button and enjoy the show!
Cheers, Sal
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Pretty cool feature. I assume you need to keep the key in the Acc position? A couple of idiot lights would be on but I doubt it would drain the battery over a car show.
I guess I now know what I want for Christmas :smt114
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Hi Todd

When I bought the car, I found that the hot lead to the convertible top switch is always on. There's no power drain because the only time current flows is when the switch is activated.
Cheers, Sal
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

This sounds like a great idea.
Now, how about posting a video of it's operation.
Bob.
El__Quijote
Occasional Visitor

Post by El__Quijote »

Now, I understand that this is quite an old thread, but I'm trying to revive it because I'm interested in this concept and I'm hoping from some input from fellow forum members.

A while back (before my deployment) I found on eBay, someone who was selling a wireless kit for the convertible top for classic Lincolns. The person has a website "Brewer Classic Lincoln" but the kit, for some reason, doesn't show on his website.
I contacted him and he sells the kit for $195 (or at least he did when I E-Mailed him back in Oct 2013). He also explained that it is a quick set-up that does not require splicing/cutting cables, and does not disable the original switch; in his words (it works in the same way as the original switch).
Now, I would be interested in this if I didn't have to keep pressing the remote button during the whole process (top up or down) and, instead, it was a one button-press process.
I want to press the button have the top go down or come up; so when I'm walking up to the car, the top is coming down, then I get in and am ready to go... and when I park and get out, the top goes up as I'm walking away from the car. Seems like it would be really cool 8), and convenient.
I would like to keep the original switch for when I just want a partial move; as in opening the trunk to place items in it or take them out (car cover, duster, etc).

Does anyone have any experience having these installed? Would this be even possible, or is the only option holding the remote's button the entire time? Because, if I have to hold the button the entire time, I would have to agree with RMAENV and say that it is not adding much value at all, except that I don't need to be IN the car to do use the top.

Inputs???
El Quijote

1962 Lincoln Continental Convertible -- My Rocinante

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." John 15:13
"For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." (Henry V (Act 4, Scene 3), William Shakespeare)
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

I've been selling these for about a year now and customers love them! It is EZ 4 wire hook up... Power, ground, top up, and top down. I install them in the trunk area near the relays and it takes about 5 minutes tops. I just splice into the top up/down wires at the plug near the relays.My installation is always powered regardless of key position. I caution people not to over-do it and drain the battery! Beware of cheap Chinese remotes on the internet... It takes about 8-10 amps to power the top circuit. Yes I get them wholesale from Griff at the Birds Nest.
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Hi John..El Quijote

I installed the one from the Birds Nest in my 63LCC a while ago. It is installed right where the top switch is located. No splicing, just pull apart the connector
install the remote device using correct connectors already installed and hook up a ground wire. I slipped the unit with the small antenna right behind the kick plate cover so nothing is seen.
However, you must hold the button during operation. Just like the factory switch..you need to be able to stop the process to access the trunk.

Best to you, Sal
El__Quijote
Occasional Visitor

Post by El__Quijote »

Sal,

Thank you so much for answering the questions.
It's a bummer that it is set up that way, I was hoping that it would be a single button press process.
I understand that you need to be able to stop the process to access the trunk, but I thought that was the whole reason for retaining the original switch functionality: use the remote for a single button-press process (top up or down), or use the original switch for accessing the trunk.
John Brewer claims that with his kit you do retain the original switch functionality: you can use either the remote or the original switch at any moment, but his kit is also a keep-button-pressed type of set-up.
Does anyone know if there is a kit for a single button-press process? Or is it possible to re-wire and or do something to modify the currently available kits to do this? Otherwise, I probably won't get the kit, it's too expensive for what it offers. Sal, are you happy with yours? Would you do it all over again now that you've had it since "a while ago" or, looking back you think it wasn't quite worth it?

Anyone else's inputs on this?
Thanks again to everyone who is participating in the discussion...

---------------------------------------
--EDIT--

John,

Sorry, I just noticed that the reply I thought I posted to your comments last night didn't show up. It was late, so I may have hit the "preview" instead of the "submit" button...
I like the way you say you set it up, in the trunk, which might be a better option for me, and having it always powered would definitely be better also. I would not over-do it, that's for sure; it would only be 2 operations each time: top up after I get out of the car while I'm walking away, and top down while I'm walking towards the car before I get in. However, since you also use the Birds Nest kit, I'm assuming it requires button press throughout the entire process, right? Also, with your installation in the trunk, do you retain original switch functionality?
Thanks again for your inputs.
El Quijote

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." John 15:13
"For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." (Henry V (Act 4, Scene 3), William Shakespeare)
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

I absolutely, positively enjoy using the remote. Anywhere it's parked, it draws a crowd and with the remote, I can activate it from a good 40-50 feet away.
I'm like a little kid, people freak out when it starts to go down or up by itself. It's like watching an old edition of Candid Camera.
Maybe one day I'll grow up!

Cheers, Sal
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

I also have a remote, and like Sal, I enjoy using it.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
El__Quijote
Occasional Visitor

Post by El__Quijote »

The more I hear from remote owners, the more tempted I am to get one...
So, it's Birds Nest "THE" place to get it? The recommended one? John Cashman, do you also sell them, or should I go through them?
Also, very important and no one has answered this so far... Will I retain the original switch's operability? Ie, will I be able to use either/or?
El Quijote

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”