adjusting header gap and weatherstripping

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

dug
TLF Director

Post by dug »

After playing with my top for a while I have 2 problems. I am trying to install new weatherstripping from bakers across the windshield. the corners are giving me problems. Iit seems as if there is too much rubber at the corner and cannot get it to stay at the corners.I hate to cut a $200 gasket. also once I figure this out the gap is larger on one side than the other. does any one know how to adjust?

thanks,
<66-Linc>

Post by <66-Linc> »

I replaced the seals on several bows and had the same problems with the adjustments. First I install the seal. When replacing the seal it not only changes the adjustment for the striker [top up limit switch] but also changes the deph in which the hooks latch to the header making the [top lock limit switch] out of adjustment. If needed, I let the top rest on the header and adjust the striker to the header to the point that the switch is pressed in. Once the motor locks the bow to the header I move the top lock switch to its striker and than operate the top. The erect panel should close. I have done this many times and had no problems. As for the seal not fitting I have purchased several seal kits from Baker's and haven't had a problem. A shop manual could also help. Good Luck.
<66-linc>

Post by <66-linc> »

Also there are two types of adjustments for the bow. One is for the switches the other is structural you may have to adjust the bow. There are two nuts on both sides. These are located on the inner side of the corners. You should not have to make this adjustment unless your old seal was so bad that someone made a previous adjustment. Keep in mind that you will have to readjust the switches. I hope this helps.
crispix396
Lincoln Maniac

Re: adjusting header gap and weatherstripping

Post by crispix396 »

I too am having a similar issue. Ordered mine from bakers, it was about 2 foot too long, so had to cut roughly where I saw fit. Once i installed it, the ends do not want to stay put, and it seems to have caused some weird gapping. Then the locks wont lock all the way. There is no way to adjust the lock striker switches enough to compensate for this.

Does anyone have a photo of a properly installed Windshield to Top weather stripping piece, or even a photo of a properly installed stock piece as maybe this will be the best help. <66-linc> any photos?
Because I forget to post it...
1962 Lincoln continental convertible
1995 Caprice wagon
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

That rubber is garbage and dosent fit at all... Way too stiff and hard.hopefully someone someday will make a quality reproduction. To make that junk Bakers sells fit at all you have to trim it and adjust the hooks downward a lot. Then you have to adjust the top lock limit switch so the flap will close. If you ever do get it to work the header will not be a tight fit like before. I tell people to NOT change the original, even if it's crappy!
Barry Norman
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Barry Norman »

John is absolutely correct. This stuff is Garbage !!
57 Premier conv
58 MK III conv
60 MK V conv
61 Continental conv
66 Continental conv
crispix396
Lincoln Maniac

Post by crispix396 »

i didn't have any on mine, so i had thought something was better than nothing. So am i stuck with "nothing" now? or is there a better-than-garbage option?
Because I forget to post it...
1962 Lincoln continental convertible
1995 Caprice wagon
Conv61Canada
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Conv61Canada »

John Cashman wrote: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:49 am That rubber is garbage and dosent fit at all... Way too stiff and hard.hopefully someone someday will make a quality reproduction. To make that junk Bakers sells fit at all you have to trim it and adjust the hooks downward a lot. Then you have to adjust the top lock limit switch so the flap will close. If you ever do get it to work the header will not be a tight fit like before. I tell people to NOT change the original, even if it's crappy!
So I ordered the full 7 piece kit from Steele and have the same problems. The windows won't close because the seals are vastly stiffer than the originals and I can't get the header to set enough for the decklid to go down.

The old seals were literally falling apart so I had to do something but now i don't know what to do. Can the rubber be softened with a chemical spray or does someone now make better weather-stripping?
Paul
1961 Lincoln Convertible
Windsor, ON, Canada
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Thread from 2003!

I am not aware of a way to increase the softness of rubber except heat. I doubt there is a conditioner that will soak in without melting it.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”