C-6 trans fluid refill procedure

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
jcd

C-6 trans fluid refill procedure

Post by jcd »

I will be putting a C-6 trans into my 1972 Mark soon, along with a rebuilt 460. The trans will be essentially dry regarding fluid. What is the procedure for starting the vehicle the first time? Obviously, if you pour in the required amount before startup, it would overflow out of the filler tube long before you got through. I had someone suggest that I pour in 4 quarts, start it, then pour in the rest as the engine ran. Any thoughts? Thanks!

John
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Re: C-6 trans fluid refill procedure

Post by KULTULZ »

If possible, you want to add a quart of fluid into the converter before installing, wiping the front seal and hub with either assembly lube or ATF.

Initial fill of 4-5 quarts start and run moving the gear selector through all ranges and filling once the fluid has become heated.
WMD
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by WMD »

jcd wrote:I will be putting a C-6 trans into my 1972 Mark soon, along with a rebuilt 460. The trans will be essentially dry regarding fluid. What is the procedure for starting the vehicle the first time? Obviously, if you pour in the required amount before startup, it would overflow out of the filler tube long before you got through. I had someone suggest that I pour in 4 quarts, start it, then pour in the rest as the engine ran. Any thoughts? Thanks!

John

John
What type of transmission fluid did you choose.
wmd
1954 Capri Fact. a/c
1969 MK III Vinyl Roof Delete, 1969 Continental 4dr.
1970 Continental 4dr.
1976 MK IV Givenchy
1993 Town Car Cartier
Two 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams
jcd

Post by jcd »

The trans has never been rebuilt - 72K miles. I am taking it out of one '72 and putting it into another '72. Of course, I am changing the fluid and filter while it is out, but am opting not to rebuild it as funds are tight and ,if it ain't broke-don't fix it. It is a great strong trans, so I am leaving well enough alone. Since it is all original, I am sticking with type-F.

John
sweede64
Occasional Visitor

Post by sweede64 »

Just start it, since its never been open the converter has 3-4 qt of oil in it, fill it with 3gt and then use the grading on the dipstick to get the right amount of oil. Each time you poor oil in it go thru the gears with the engine ideling, this should get you moving......
Cadillac 1961 convert.
Ford Expidition Eddie Bauer 2000, supercharged 5.4 4X4
Lincoln Continental 1971
itkonen
Frequent Contributor

Post by itkonen »

I am going to change new transmission oils and filter to my mk IV -72 also. The car is running and I have no knowledge how old the oils are, since the car is new to me. I have bought 13 quarts of Gulf Type F ATF and new filter kit from RockAuto. I would like to get all old oil out from tranny and TC too.

Since I have never had a car with automatic transmission before, I have no knowledge about this procedure. With manuals it is simple, drain and fill...

What is correct procedure for this that I do not break the tranny and/or torque converter? I would really appreciate if someone could give step by step instructions to autotranny-rookie :smt001
1972 mk IV

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”