Moon Finned Valve Covers !!!

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Moon Finned Valve Covers !!!

Post by bagged59 »

protraxduner wrote:Just got an email from them. They did have some 'pitting' on some of the covers but said they would know later today? this week? how the next batch turned out and get in contact with me. I have not received an invoice yet to pay (I have asked for one). Guess i was one of the unlucky ones that was lower on the list. Still waiting patiently.
im in your same situation. i was contacted about payment and am awaiting the invoice. i have no problem waiting for a clean casting. its nice to know that moon eyes wouldn't ship out the pitted ones and deal with complaints. hats off to them for great quality control.

paul
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It's in their best interest to hold back the badly cast ones. At least they can remelt them and make news ones!
Buddy67Lincoln
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Buddy67Lincoln »

Got mine yesterday! Your going to love them. I will mock them up on my parts car sometime this week. Post your mock or installation photos when done! We would all like to see them on a Lincoln/Mercury!
John Lyman
Stinkin Lincoln, LLC
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan (2018) FOR SALE 25,000 miles from original owner
1963 Lincoln Continental Convertible (2018) Rose Metallic
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible (2018) Patina Custom
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible (2010), my baby
1967 Lincoln Continental Coupe (1999), first Lincoln
WANTED: 1967-69 Passenger side mirror, any condition, and buckets seats
protraxduner
Lincoln Maniac

Post by protraxduner »

Well I am always looking for a better deal, so I inquired about how 'bad' the pitting was and if I could purchase those for a discounted price. Here is what they said.

The pitting is minute and most other companies would pass off as first runs.
The price is $190 vs $285.

I will probably be buying the reduced price for a couple of reasons.

1. They are $95 cheaper (I'm POOR) :grin:
2. Sounds like I might be the only person to know they are actually flawed.
3. I will be powdercoating/painting all of the engine/parts/accesories and sometimes the silver powdercoat actually clashes with polished aluminum so I may have the valve covers powdercoated/painted also, which would hide the pitting.
Tony
67 Continental (currently rebuilding)
87 Mustang GT w/T-tops (currently building)
97 Trans-Am, 08 Pontiac G8 GT, 11 Silverado
88 TRX500R, 86 ATC500R, 82 ATC250R, 86 ATC250ES, 04 YFZ450, 07 TRX450R, 85 ATC70
Buddy67Lincoln
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Buddy67Lincoln »

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHY!!!! :smt089 I'm poor too but its too late! Oh well...they are friggin nice lookin so I will let it slide!
protraxduner wrote:Well I am always looking for a better deal, so I inquired about how 'bad' the pitting was and if I could purchase those for a discounted price. Here is what they said.

The pitting is minute and most other companies would pass off as first runs.
The price is $190 vs $285.

I will probably be buying the reduced price for a couple of reasons.

1. They are $95 cheaper (I'm POOR) :grin:
2. Sounds like I might be the only person to know they are actually flawed.
3. I will be powdercoating/painting all of the engine/parts/accesories and sometimes the silver powdercoat actually clashes with polished aluminum so I may have the valve covers powdercoated/painted also, which would hide the pitting.
John Lyman
Stinkin Lincoln, LLC
TeamSynergy
Frequent Contributor

Post by TeamSynergy »

Wooohoooo! Got mine in the mail today!! They look sweet! Gonna try to put em on tomorrow. Got new gaskets and hardware from Mooneyes too! Anything I need to know before slapping them on?? haha. :D Can't wait!

65 LCC Bagged
TeamSynergy
Frequent Contributor

Post by TeamSynergy »

Spent most of the day trying to slap these babies on. :smt009 After a thorough degreaseing and scraping the top of the motor and around the heads, I pulled the old covers. Got the new cover on the passenger side done. I had to trim the gasket nubs and do some test fitting then I slapped some RTV type stuff on em and mounted them. Bolting them on was a pain. I found its best to start with the lower 3 bolts, then do the top left and right ones leaving the center for last. This is because the holes don't really line up that great, so I had to use a screwdriver/wrench to finesse the cover to line the holes up. The drivers side on the other hand, has all sorts of issues. In order to test fit the new cover I had to remove the A/C bracket and lines. With the new cover on, the A/C bracket hit the edge of the cover, so I trimmed it around the cover. Now I am painting it to look as nice as the covers, if that's even possible considering how gruesome my engine compartment is :D Hope to get it all back together tomorrow. Whelp here's some pictures:

So I had some metal shavings on my rockers..any ideas what this might be from? It looked like chrome that had flaked off of something?? Makes me a little nervous.

Hope ya like.
Brian
65 LCC Bagged
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

These are quality castings-

There is a rail/flange as part of the casting that holds the rocker cover gasket in place.
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
Buddy67Lincoln
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Buddy67Lincoln »

The only problem with the 462s are clearance issues on the passenger side. The original valve covers are approx 2.5" tall but the new Moon ones are 3.5" tall at the end. There is either A/C hoses or heater hose line in the way. I have not looking into it but it needs moved if possible to make them work. Since its a custom part, no worries on moving that, right!? Its tight but they will look great. That's the only issue so far I am aware of.
John Lyman
Stinkin Lincoln, LLC
TeamSynergy
Frequent Contributor

Post by TeamSynergy »

So you're saying I shouldn't have cut those tabs off? :shock: Haha. Oops. I didn't like how they were turning the gasket once I started bolting them down...oh wells. :D

Ta da!! It ain't the prettiest engine compartment but its all good to go:

and a closer look at the insides:

Genuine Mooneyes Model numbers:

Started her up first try, and she purrs like a kitten! :smt004 I let the some of the remaining degreaser/junk burn off and checked for leaks. Nothing.
Gotta clean up, wait for the sun to cool down a little bit, and go for a cruise! :D

Brian
65 LCC Bagged
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

they look good
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

TeamSynergy wrote:
So you're saying I shouldn't have cut those tabs off? :shock:
Those tabs are to locate and hold the gasket on a sheet metal cover. You actually have little choice other than to remove them for this application.

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

TeamSynergy wrote:
So I had some metal shavings on my rockers..any ideas what this might be from? It looked like chrome that had flaked off of something?? Makes me a little nervous.

You need to remove the rocker arm assemblies and check for wear closely. It may be something getting ready to fail.
Broken Pushrod.jpg
Last edited by KULTULZ on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
Buddy67Lincoln
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Buddy67Lincoln »

Test fit photos. I am sure they will work great, I just mocked it all up for the time being.

SHOW US YOUR MOONEYES COVERS!
Attachments
Mooneyes430vc.JPG
Mooneyes430vc.JPG (103.97 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
mooneyes462height.JPG
mooneyes462height.JPG (107.92 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
mooneyes462vc.JPG
mooneyes462vc.JPG (105.34 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
John Lyman
Stinkin Lincoln, LLC
TeamSynergy
Frequent Contributor

Post by TeamSynergy »

KULTULZ: I was hoping/assuming that would be the case as far as the gaskets, but the metal shaving have me a little worried. I'm just gunna drive it til something breaks then deal with it then, I think it'll make it through the summer/SoCal carshow season, and give me a little time to find some more aftermarket goodies! :D In the 7 years I've owned it i haven't had any major issues, just a failed voltage regulator and little hesitation off the line. Gonna get new plug wires and Pertronix ignitor/coil soon too. Can't wait!

Buddy67lincoln: That looks so sick! I would love to have the Edelbrock tripower on mine w/matching finned air cleaners but, I don't think it'd fit under the hood without some modifications. :wink:

Brian
65 LCC Bagged

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”