Lincoln Statistics spreadsheet

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Lincoln Statistics spreadsheet

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Grady, I got the sheets.

I added the 1976 Continental/Town Car stats from my brochure to the sheet.
I added 1970 stats from Ford Press release info.
Attachments
60s Lincoln Stats rev011.xls
(59.5 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Dermot
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Dermot »

The '77 figures for weight are incomplete.
Here are the correct and full figures, excerpted from the 1977 Continental Product Facts Book - I have the March 1977 Update issue plus photocopies of the original issue. Until March the 460 was standard in 49 States and it weighs more than the 400. In March 1977 the Book was updated with insert pages marked "Revised March 1977'. A number of changes were made. Anyway, here are the correct weights:

Pre March 1977 49 State, standard 460 engine
2-Door Coupe 5033 lbs
Town Coupe 5084 lbs

4-Door Sedan 5077 lbs
Town Car 5131 lbs

March 1977, 49 State, std 400 engine
2-Door Coupe 4913 lbs
Town Coupe 4950 lbs

4-Door Sedan 4922 lbs
Town Car 4962 lbs

Cars with the 400 came with space-saver spare tires as standard - these weigh less.

I've just bought a late February 1977 Town Car - with the 460.

Hey, here is some trivia - the 'Luxury Wheel Covers' were not available with cars having the 400! Why????

More trivia - the dimensions for Front Head Room, Front Hip Room, and Rear Leg Room changed slightly in March 1977. How and why???

Dermot
Dermot

1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car - Farrah
7Y82A881960, Philadelphia Ordering District, built February 21 1977
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

My 77 with the 400 has the original spare and it is a full size.
Dermot
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Dermot »

That would have been an option.
Here's what the book says:
"Tire, Space Saver Delete
Available only with the 400 CID 2V V-8 engine where the Space-Saver Spare is standard equipment.
This option replaces the Space-Saver Spare with same tire and wheel as ordered on the car."
Dermot

Dermot
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Dermot »

The ORIGINAL book, pre March 1977, said "Available only in California where the Space-Saver Spare is standard equipment."
Dermot

Dermot
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Dermot »

Lastly, one reason weights varied year by year is that standard (vs optional) equipment varied.
Catalogs and product facts books generally listed the base model no-option weight unless otherwise stated.
On some cars, tick a few options (other than drivetrain), add a full tank of gas, you're running maybe 150-200 pounds over the specified curb weight.

The 460 seems to be about 150 pounds over the 400, plus a few more in the full size spare and heavier springs. The 1978 Lincoln catalog ignores the 460 cars.
Dermot

Jamu
Frequent Contributor

Post by Jamu »

Hi,
and thanks for a great XLS to Dan.
A small tryping ergor I found:
cell K95, production number for 62 conv, I think it should be 3212 not 2312

Regards,

jarmo
1962 convertible, 1962 SEDAN
Love cars without any IF-sentences
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Jamu wrote:Hi,
and thanks for a great XLS to Dan.
A small tryping ergor I found:
cell K95, production number for 62 conv, I think it should be 3212 not 2312

Regards,

jarmo
Feel free to edit and re-upload/attach the new file. Don't make me do all the work!
Jamu
Frequent Contributor

Post by Jamu »

Sorry Dan,

I did not understand that this file is open for editing for all of us. I thinked that you keep the original file and make the changes to it and the upload it to forum.
My opinion is that if anyone can edit this file you will end up to a mess sooner or later, that is because all the possible different programs you can use to edit it, also different Excel versions can cause problems and not the less the different level of skills we all have with spreadsheets.

Also I'm not sure about the production number, this 3212 is the number I have seen elsewhere (not official) and that is the reason why I did want to just overwrite your number just like that. If we agree or someone can confirm that this is the right number I'll put it in spreadsheet and upload it back.

Best regards,

Jarmo
1962 convertible, 1962 SEDAN
Love cars without any IF-sentences
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

3212 is the number I have from the Encyclopedia of American Cars 1940-1970.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Jamu wrote:My opinion is that if anyone can edit this file you will end up to a mess sooner or later, that is because all the possible different programs you can use to edit it, also different Excel versions can cause problems and not the less the different level of skills we all have with spreadsheets.

Jarmo
The spreadsheet is pretty straightforward. I will accept no excuses as to why others can't edit it. Besides, the older file will be present unless deleted.

This only works if everyone helps. I can't do everything. It has to be a community effort.
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

Here's my 2 cents for 1972. The data came from a Continental Product Data Book. It was given to salemen to give them all they needed to know about the new cars. Also some info from my build sheet, door data plate and Eminger invoice.

Edited: weight, overall length (from data book)
Added: overall height, overall width, front track, rear track, front and rear headroom, hip room, shoulder room, leg room, fuel capacity, trunk capacity, top colors (from data book)
engine code, transmission code, rear axle ratios and code for 2.80:1 only, assembly plant and code (from door data plate, Marti report and Eminger invoice)

One issue is the rear axle ratio. My data book lists 2.80:1 is offered but my Marti Autoworks report lists 2.75:1

I also played with the column and row widths and some of the formatting to make it easier to read.

Let me know what you think.

Maybe pin this so it doesn't get lost. I only found it because I tripped over it.

Edit: file removed
Last edited by mechatech on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Lincoln Continental :smt004
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

mechatech wrote:One issue is the rear axle ratio. My data book lists 2.80:1 is offered but my Marti Autoworks report lists 2.75:1
Have you verified by the tag on your axle and compared the code to what's in the shop manual?

Date of publication is important. Something published very early in the model year may not reflect what actually gets built as things change throughout production.

How can one guarantee what Marti publishes is even correct?
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Have you verified by the tag on your axle and compared the code to what's in the shop manual?
I'll do that. I think I had a tag and I hope its still there.
Date of publication is important. Something published very early in the model year may not reflect what actually gets built as things change throughout production.
If you mean the data book, on the first page there looks what could be a date code 8-71.
How can one guarantee what Marti publishes is even correct?
I don't know. But this from his website states.
We are the priveleged licensee (contract #5012) to Ford Motor Company's entire production database for the 1967-1979 model years. We can tell you everything about any Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury made in North America during 1967-1979. What color was your car? Easy. What rear axle ratio? Sure. What day was the car sold? Yeah, even that - and a whole lot more.

VIN reports are currently available for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, made in North America from 1967 through 1979. We will be offering VIN Reports for 1980 through 1999 vehicles soon.
He's either legit or BSing. Someone else can ask.

As for axle, transmission, engine and plant codes, I got that off my door data plate and build sheet. They all came with C6s and 460s, would the codes be different in a model year? As for plant, I thought all Lincolns were built in Wixom. Eminger shows mine was built there.

Did a quick search and from http://automotivemileposts.com/lincoln/ ... ncoln.html There are differences in fuel capacity and axle codes so I deleted those. Not as much info for the Mark IV http://automotivemileposts.com/prod1972mark4.html The overall height is listed as 0.2" shorter. I left that alone.

Edit: file removed
Last edited by mechatech on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1972 Lincoln Continental :smt004
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
Dermot
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Dermot »

I have the 1975, 1976, and 1977 (early and late production) dealer product facts books with all the data and also the full set of 1977 manuals on CD Rom. Happy to translate VINs and door tags! Mart just gives you the buck and actual build dates, which are up to a few days here or there from the door tag dates (which were the scheduled production dates). The rest is just straight from the manual. You waste your money.
Dermot
Dermot