overdrive on off switch

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

overdrive on off switch

Post by papawayne »

did all 93 continentals come with that pesky transmission on off switch on the shift column for overdrive? I'm pretty sure the grand marquis had it
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: overdrive on off switch

Post by TonyC »

I'm pretty sure they did. I think overdrive became standard on Lincolns before that year.

It isn't all that pesky--just another button to play with (you know how people love to fiddle with gimmicky gadgets)--unless the transmission gives trouble. Then again, that would be a quality problem with the components themselves.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Just wondering...it's pesky to me, because I sometimes have to hold the button in with my finger to keep it in overdrive. I have no idea if it's the switch or the tranny. If such a thing existed on my 63 I would probably try to fix it. But thankfully it doesn't. Wayne
bob sandercock
Lincoln Maniac

Post by bob sandercock »

The button pulls out easily so go to an auto wreckers and get another one for $5 or less and try it to see if the problem goes away
If not you have not wasted much money and you have diagnosed what isn't wrong
Bob
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

alright, you've piqued my curiosity...how do I get the button out? I dont see anything obvious, does something unscrew, get pried out, etc? Wayne
bob sandercock
Lincoln Maniac

Post by bob sandercock »

I had a 1996 and the control switch had a ring around it that you just gently pulled of with a small screw driver then pulled out the switch (TCS)= Transaxle control switch
Try starting it with your thumb nail or a utility knife until you can get a small screw driver into the opening or you may mar the ring
You can check the continuity of the three pins with a self powered test light
Across two of the pins there should be continuity only when the button is pressed
As I said just try another switch is easiest
Bob