Price on a 1979 Lincoln Continental Collector Series

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

hagbartd
Frequent Contributor

Price on a 1979 Lincoln Continental Collector Series

Post by hagbartd »

Hi there.

What was the price for a Lincoln Continental Collector Series in 1979? Was it differant from state to state ore did Ford have one price for the car?

According to this link http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/hog ... incoln.htm
the price would have been $ 17,000.

According to http://automotivemileposts.com/mark5197 ... eries.html the price is $ 21,326 with cloth bucket seats and $20,926 with leather Twin Comfort Lounge seats for a Collector's Series 1979 Mark V.

Why were the two doors models more costly..?

Regard's
JimLinc62
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Price on a 1979 Lincoln Continental Collector Series

Post by JimLinc62 »

hagbartd wrote:Was it differant from state to state ore did Ford have one price for the car?
I can't answer your main question, but I can say that Ford (and all manufacturers) have ONE price (base price, plus options, plus transport fee) for their cars. The "sticker" is printed at the factory, and the only variable in price from state to state would be the applicable sales tax (if any) in the state where the car was sold.
1962 Convertible
Sultana White/Light Honey Beige
A/C - Tinted Glass - Auto Headlight Dimmer - Pwr. Seat 6-way - Elec. Ant.
Build Date: 02/06
1961Lincoln
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 1961Lincoln »

The Mark V was more costly because of added features that were not available on the Continental.

Exterior wise on the Mark, the trunk lid spare tire area was covered in vinyl.

Interior wise, the dash and front a rear side armrests were leather, whereas the Continental was standard fare. If the Mark had the standard cloth interior, there was a leather console and the seatbacks were leather covered. Neither feature was available on the Continental. Also the inside of the trunk lid was thickly carpeted on the Mark V and the passenger side dash was brushed metal (covered with protective plastic.)

My first collectable was a '79 Continental Collector's Series with 4,600 miles and a moonroof. As nice as it was, it always seemed like a loaded Town Car, whereas the Mark V was a bit more special. The Collector's Mark V was very similar to the Diamond Jubilee, except for colors, opera window delete and some trim pieces (the trunk lid latch being chromed vs. standard in the CS.)

Rob
Rob Zeller Saugatuck MI

'61 & '66 Continental convertibles
'62 Thunderbird Sports Roadster tri-power (clone)
'79 Mark V Collector's Series
'04 Aviator Ultimate
'17 MKZ 3.0T
hagbartd
Frequent Contributor

Post by hagbartd »

Thanks for the answer.

It dont look like it was the differant in features that put the pice up. More that a policy from FORD.

I dont know what you mean with thickly carpet inside the trunk. My Collector Series dos have a thick carpet. But perhaps its not that thick... :-)

Otherwise thank you for the information. But I still could use the factory price for a 1979 Lincoln Contiental Collector Series, with a full vinyl roof with sun roof and leather seats. The only option that the car is missing is the Sure-Trac system. What was the factory price on this car in 1979.

Some has to kow...!!! Or is it $ 17,000?

Regard's
gradyjacoway
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by gradyjacoway »

They were sold between $13,500 to $16,500 depending on where the car was sold.
For example, if it was a small town dealership who don't place ads in the Sunday paper, it cost about $13,500 per Collector Series Sedan. $2,000 more for Mark V Collector Series. Also, if it was a big town dealership who place big full page ads in every Sunday paper, it cost about $16,500 per Collector Series sedan. $2,00 more for Mark V Collector series.

Remember in 1979, the prime rate was 21 % under President Jimmy Carter.

Grady
Last edited by gradyjacoway on Sat May 23, 2009 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1961Lincoln
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 1961Lincoln »

The inside surface of the trunk lid on my Continental CS was not carpeted, but it is carpeted on the Mark V. These extra features would drive the price up, but I'm sure FORD made a premium on them!
Rob Zeller Saugatuck MI

'61 & '66 Continental convertibles
'62 Thunderbird Sports Roadster tri-power (clone)
'79 Mark V Collector's Series
'04 Aviator Ultimate
'17 MKZ 3.0T
hagbartd
Frequent Contributor

Post by hagbartd »

Ok. I think I misunderstood the carpet situation.
Your right. There isn't any carpet on the inside surface of the trunk lid on the Continental Collector Series.

Otherwise thank you fore the info. I will use the info and see if one can get a fair taxation out of it.

Regard's