My coupe

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

My coupe

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Here are a couple of my coupe...
I bought it from the original owner. It had been sitting for 25 years, It still had the original black and white Arizona title... And NO rear main seal! to prep the car for starting I had to remove the intake because the owner had removed the carb to rebuild it and do a tune up and never got to putting it back on, so new intake gaskets (and soaking in Marvel just to be safe), a donor Carb, Pertronix ignition, coil, plugs and wires and I got it started... ran fair, made some noise but nothing unusual...and no big leaks, the water pump trickled, but just a single drip from the rear seal area after half an hour! After I made sure it would at least start I started replacing the dried-up seals and bushings... Timing set, valve cover gaskets, water pump, diverters, rebuilt power steering pump. I wanted to change the oil pan gasket and thought that it would be a good time to change the motor mounts too. I pulled the pan, and the rear main bearing to change the seal to a new neoprene seal instead of the rope seal. There was no seal in the cap! I thought no big deal, it probably stuck to the crank... Nope! No seal at all, top or bottom! the two side seals were in place but no rope! I called the original owner to see if it had ever been in for that type of work and he replied in the negative! so this engine ran for the better part of 15 years with no big drips... How's that for quality?

How I found her... Crying out for attention...

How she looked the day before I came to Michigan...

Slow work, but worth every second...
Last edited by 66Lincoupe on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: My coupe

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Where in Michigan are you? How far "north" of Detroit?
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

I'm in Shelby TWP. 24 Mile rd.

I moved from Kingman, AZ in October 2007. I only froze a little... :smt004 miss my tan!!
Rob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

66Lincoupe wrote:I'm in Shelby TWP. 24 Mile rd.

I moved from Kingman, AZ in October 2007. I only froze a little... :smt004 miss my tan!!
Just a BIT north of Detroit.

I'm a block north of 8 Mile in Southfield. Ever come down into civilization? ;)
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

I get down there once in a while. I missed Woodward this year, I've wanted to go forever; I move here and I still didn't get to go!
Rob
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

This was a video, but I removed it for editing... Nothing new yet.
Last edited by 66Lincoupe on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Found a photo today from when the shipper dropped the car off here in Michigan. I was still in Arizona so my wife sent me this to assure me it made it okay!!

Then she had to park it in the barn!! She hates driving anything bigger than her car, I told her that her car was actually taller... That didn't help.

Here's when the flatbed dropped her off the day I bought her December 2006.

I pressure washed over 25 five gallon buckets of crud off of the bottom, when I was done I was expecting to see huge holes everywhere. I was shocked to find no rust-through anywhere... Just the surface stuff on the roof and the edges on the bottom. My floorpan undersides you can still see the E-coat where the black undercoating has flaked off...
Rob
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Okay, I'm about ready to dig in again. I was a bit disappointed with the move from Arizona and the weather here, but I think I had a recharge over the winter. Here's the plan this late spring/summer after vacation:

I will finish the Upholstery - interior and trunk, and then get the engine in and humming finally.

The body will have to wait for a while, I think I will just strip and seal it for this year and try for next year. It is going to be a bugger to find the rubber parts for the coupe specific stuff. I already have replaced the front bumper (Thanks Dan at GOldman)

I have three ford script (gray) headlamps, two high beam and one low that I will be replacing with H4 style assemblies (I'm actually replacing all four, but only three are script.)

I will be replacing the incandescent taillamps with LEDs. I already have a sequential "kit" from Webelectric, but will be replacing it with the system that came with the LED panels.

Hopefully join LCOC - Regional and National, I know mine will not be stock, but I appreciate the work that goes into an original vehicle restoration, and you can't beat the support I see available...

I will post photos as work progresses...
Rob
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I for one will be watching for more pictures! :smt023 And videos!

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

While getting the final iteration of my engine figured out I decided it would be a good time to clean the engine bay. While removing the battery tray I found that I can no longer say this is a rust-free Arizona car...

The tray itself and the shield between the engine and battery look really good and still have most of the original black paint, and the rubber shield! This is the inner fender underneath everything. I "peeled it like an onion" :D to get here. Actually, this area is very solid and the rust is just superficial, no flaking - and I took it all apart with nutdrivers and no "liquid hope" (penetrating oil).

I found some more grease pencil markings, too:

I'm not going for stock, or perfect - there are enough of those - So the engine compartment will probably be semi-gloss black, I just like the contrast. More later.
Rob
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Well, I finally got off of my butt and am ready to install the final (hopefully) version of the 462. I pulled the second mule out a couple weeks ago and am ready to clean up.

Here's the hole left in the garage. What a tank.

I miss the desert. Kingman was home for a long time.

Contemplating grease... YUK.

The dirty, dusty, bay.

I know the bay is supposed to be body color, but I haven't decided if I am going to paint the car a "pretty" color or just black suede and have it striped... So the bay will be semi-gloss black no matter what. (Sorry Dan. :grin: )

Landau! Did the vinyl top cars get this?

And done with the dirtiest part.

Rob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

A body-color bay looks sooooo good, Rob. I dunno about black...

:D
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Okay, here are the first shiny bits (again...)

And now: More Rock, less talk... By request from Holland.
Rob
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

More shiny stuff...

I think all of the engine brackets are done now. Unless I find more at the bottom of this pile:

Rob
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

LOL...Nice pile of parts! I had the same thing going not too long ago....I spy ....a tranny mount :)

Anyway, I had painted my engine bay black, stepped back and turned around and blasted it off and changed it to the body color Image it looks quite better body color. i suspect becuase there is no line between body and a typical frame, but YMMV of course
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 38&t=23376

Return to “Customized Member Projects”