HHO; "Browns Gas"; Water to run your car?

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: HHO; "Browns Gas"; Water to run your car?

Post by navguy12 »

The water one I have not heard of but I have heard or racers dumping water through their carb for big boost in horse power but I dont know the details, just that the expansion of water to steam can really pound a cylinder and the horse power increase is amazing, but again, I have only heard racers talk of it.
First generation of Boeing 707s and first generation of Boeing 747s had "water injection" to provide extra power for takeoff when weight, density altitude and available takeoff distance were limiting factors.
Mike Stortini
1985 Cartier Town Car Sold 10 Nov 2013
1977 Lincoln Continental Sold 27 April 2012
Batawa Ontario
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

In the mid to late '70s I was on a flight taking off from Denver. Take off was aborted because the water injection wasn't working. The pilot said the water injection was required for cooling when taking off from 5000 feet at Denver. Didn't say anything about additional power.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
hissst

Post by hissst »

JimA wrote:In the mid to late '70s I was on a flight taking off from Denver. Take off was aborted because the water injection wasn't working. The pilot said the water injection was required for cooling when taking off from 5000 feet at Denver. Didn't say anything about additional power.
Sounds like the pilot was not a mechanic :) But if you want to do 10 seconds of research https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engine) :shock:
Vancouver Island Canada
My Car(s):
1975 Lincoln Continental Town Car 7.5 liter
Plus:
1978 Ford Thunderbird 6.4 liter
2019 Custom built (By Me) Skeletal Car with 1974 Ford Pinto Motor 2 liter
1988 Ford Diesel Cube 7.2? liter
2006 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 liter
2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 liter Hemi
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

JimA wrote:In the mid to late '70s I was on a flight taking off from Denver. Take off was aborted because the water injection wasn't working. The pilot said the water injection was required for cooling when taking off from 5000 feet at Denver. Didn't say anything about additional power.
The reason your flight would have been aborted was that something called "the density altitude" was such that there was not enough thrust (power) from the engines (because of the thinner air) without somehow altering "the density altitude" to enable enough power to overcome the takeoff weight of the aircraft.

Had you been on a runway near sea level (assuming the same temperature as Denver), there may have been enough available power in those early version of jet engines to not require the "cheat" of injecting water into them to create the boost in normal thrust to allow takeoff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engine)
Mike Stortini
1985 Cartier Town Car Sold 10 Nov 2013
1977 Lincoln Continental Sold 27 April 2012
Batawa Ontario
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Slightly off topic, I remember being in a dealership shop that had an engine torn down because a water injection system put too much water in the engine and caused damage. The tech said he really liked working on engines that had water injection for two reasons.
The water over time really cleans the inside of the engine
The damaged it caused when not set up and maintained kept him employed for long periods of time

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Why do I think that Sea Foam is mostly water? It sure looks like it coming out of the tailpipe. Wayne

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”