My Ongoing 1968 LC Project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
brendanw
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: My Ongoing 1968 LC Project

Post by brendanw »

Norm, glad to see you back in action! Leave that engine on the stand in your driveway and I'll be buy to snag it as soon as I can :). I'm totally jealous and am planning a mild 'engine compartment cleanup' on my '68 over the winter versus a rebuild. I'd be curious to know the details of your rebuild
1968 Lincoln Continental Sedan - Black on black - 462 ci [SOLD NOV 2017]
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

brendanw wrote:I'll be buy to snag it as soon as I can :).
You would probably make my engine stand very happy, I think its getting tired :lol:
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 38&t=23376
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

So.... nearing the end, with a solution to my water pump challenges seemingly at hand...need some feedback on "the big install"

1. the engine is on a stand with the proper mounts, adding the waterpump it will be ready to go in the car
2. The tranny comes back from the shop here in about 2 weeks
3. The new exhaust system arrives in about 3 weeks

question/opinion please
1. engine in first then tranny?
2. tranny in first then engine?

I have a hoist but bolting those two together and putting it in singularly like I do with small block chevy's doesnt seem smart or safe

Thanks

Norm
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

Well still here :)

feel like I am on the final turn; engine/tranny are in, exhaust arrived, vacuum lines almost done, my parts shelf is actually quite bare now....

put in the starter, wired it to the starter relay, getting power in all the right places, but just like this car, a curve ball

there has to be a wire from the starter solenoid on the fender to the start's solenoid, of course wiring documentation is poor , see attached.
Can someone take a quick look at their solenoid on the fender and see if they have a small wire going to the starter, ideally take a picture and post it?
Attachments
startersolenoid wiring.pdf
(39.84 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

well, call me another victim of a balky neutral safety switch...that fixed it
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

Hi all; got a lot of little things dones, down to two last items, one of which is a fuel pump for a 68 460 engine, I picked up an airtex just to get things running, but for i can not get fuel to run through it to the carb, I checked the new fuel filter, even used a gas can instead of the gast tank to try to isolate the problem

1. I did some research here on the arm-design, being staight or more bent, there does not seem to be a difference noted in the posts
2. i check rockauto; airtex, spectra, carter looked similar
AIRTEX Part # 6878
SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Part # SP1074MP
CARTER Part # M6878
DELPHI Part # MF0054

3. I did find a post about the airtex being wrong in advanceauto parts: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/airt ... fragment-3

4. When I crank the engine ( I am that close now) i can feel the pump, pumping and pushing air against my finger...but when i put one line into a fuel can, to the pump, then the line to the carb in a bucket...no fuel...the fuel lines are new, and double checked for any clogs...none

So, is there a procedure to prime these pumps? should the airtex 6878 indeed fit?

Requesting some wisdom please, I am nearing the end of my 10 year project
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

This probably won't help you much, but I had to use an airtex 2 port fuel pump while waiting for a rebuilt 3 port Carter. I still don't have it but I just changed out the pumps, cranked it a few times, and away she went. One thing was that my old fuel pump was working but just leaking. So I did have fuel in the lines right up to the pump when I changed them out. If you have dry lines all the way back to the tank it might make sense to prime those lines by manually pumping some gas back from the fuel feeder hose at the fuel pump to the tank.

Did you say the new pump was not sucking up any fuel even from a small container right under the hood? If that isn't happening, I would question whether the new pump is working properly. Even new stuff fails sometimes. Also, I am sure you have checked to make sure you have your fuel filter flow in the right direction. I got one once that was marked with the arrow reversed. Not likely, but if you reversed that or it is marked wrong, it would suck (no pun intended) if you spent a lot of time and money chasing this problem.

That said, I am no expert and maybe someone here has some tried and true method for priming a new fuel pump. Good luck
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

Thanks Chad for replying, went through the process, turns out bad fuel pump, starting to get really annoyed at autozone parts lately, anyway...new fuel pump, and we got fuel, fire, and air...she starts right up...doing the break in stuff this weekend.....

ever forward :text-thankyoublue:
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
Lincoln22
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincoln22 »

I am having the same issue with my 1968 lincoln regarding the fuel pump. I just installed the air bags and had her running and found a leak in the rear gas line. I fixed the leak and now it doesn't start. I have gone through 3 new pumps and nothing works. New filter new lines and I'm sure lines are not clogged. Did you have to prime your lines for the pump to work? I can't even get the pump to feed off a gas container in the front of the engine. Please let me know how you solved your problem. With the new suspension complete I like to drive it this summer
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I have to assume your problem is still a bad pump, clogged fuel filters, or clogged fuel lines. There is nothing else that could prevent you from getting gas at least up to the carb.

Starting with a clean 1 or 2 gallon can of fresh clean gas, a length of fuel rated rubber hose from there to a new fuel filter connected that will connect to the carb. Now, with the coil wire off, spin the starter and turn the motor over. You should get gas flowing out into whatever container you have on hand to catch it. If you got gas flowing, you are good up to the carb. If not, then you have to suspect the pump.

If the fuel pump is new, first check to make sure it's installed correctly. I have seen these get installed without the shaft in place first which would render the pump useless because there is nothing driving the pump mechanism. If the shaft is there, make sure the pump is installed so the pump actuator level is sitting on top of the shaft. It should basically only fit in that way but check anyway. It should give you a little bit of a hard time bolting the fuel pump up because the shaft is high on the cam. Put one bolt in but do not tighten it. Then rotate the pump downward until the other bolt hole aligns and install that bolt. Don't forget the gasket that goes between. Sucking air will not help it suck fuel!

You can try elevating the temporary gas can above the engine so gravity will help siphon the fuel into the pump, but if gravity is needed, there is something else wrong with the pump or installation of it.

For now you can forget all about the main fuel tank, sending unit, fuel lines from the tank, etc. You are bypassing all that stuff with the temporary tank and hoses.

So my guess is:

1. Plugged fuel filters
2. Plugged or collapsed gas hose. Remember, if it's not fuel rated hose, the suction can cause the hose to collapse and block the fuel flow.
3. Bad aftermarket pump. They aren't very good when they work. And their history of failure is pretty high.

Get gas flowing from your temporary tank through the fuel pump into a container as your first and only step. Once you have that, you can move on to the carb, and once you have that motor running nice, you can deal with the crusty gas tank and fuel lines.

There is one more possible problem. If the shaft activating the fuel pump is worn or the wrong length, the cam is modified or warn so much that the shaft is not activating the pump, then those could be problems too. Is your car's motor stock? Has any major internal engine work been done?
2018 Lincoln Continental
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
brendanw
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by brendanw »

Lincoln22 wrote:I am having the same issue with my 1968 lincoln regarding the fuel pump. I just installed the air bags and had her running and found a leak in the rear gas line. I fixed the leak and now it doesn't start. I have gone through 3 new pumps and nothing works. New filter new lines and I'm sure lines are not clogged. Did you have to prime your lines for the pump to work? I can't even get the pump to feed off a gas container in the front of the engine. Please let me know how you solved your problem. With the new suspension complete I like to drive it this summer
If the pump wont draw from a gas container up forward, then it has to be something with the pump. Or maybe the vent line? My original 3-port pump has the vent line that runs all the way back to the tank. After replacing all the lines a couple of years ago, I coudlnt get it to fire up. Plenty of spark, plenty or air, not fuel ... wtf?!?! It turns out that when running the lines I had kinked, or at least put a sharp bend in, the line as it came right out of the tank. Or perhaps it was the tubing coming out of the fuel sender. Anyway, the problem was right in that area. I pushed it around with my hand a little, opening up that bend and the car cranked right up.

Good luck
1968 Lincoln Continental Sedan - Black on black - 462 ci [SOLD NOV 2017]
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

brendanw wrote:
Lincoln22 wrote:I am having the same issue with my 1968 lincoln regarding the fuel pump. I just installed the air bags and had her running and found a leak in the rear gas line. I fixed the leak and now it doesn't start. I have gone through 3 new pumps and nothing works. New filter new lines and I'm sure lines are not clogged. Did you have to prime your lines for the pump to work? I can't even get the pump to feed off a gas container in the front of the engine. Please let me know how you solved your problem. With the new suspension complete I like to drive it this summer
If the pump wont draw from a gas container up forward, then it has to be something with the pump.
Good luck
What he said. Even if its a replacement 2 port pump and you can't fill a jar with gas from the carb end of the fuel line by turning over the starter, then that pump is no good. Return it and try another until you can get a properly rebuilt 3 port pump.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Lincoln22
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincoln22 »

Thank you for the quick responses. The engine is all stocked nothing done to it other than the typical maintenance. I have another 462 in storage but I don't want swap engines out when I know it is just a fuel issue. I will check that the fuel pump is installed correctly and push rod is correctly align and check all lines over one more time. if not I will keep swapping out the fuel pumps until I get a working one. I will follow up & let you know what the issue was. Once again thank you. This issue has had me going in circles for weeks.
Lincoln22
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincoln22 »

So I have gone through 2 more pumps and neither are drawing any gas from a container I have set up on the side...is it possible the push rod has worn out needs to be replaced? I just can't imagine that being a case since this year has a solid stock steel on it...also I'm starting to second guess myself on the fuel pump install. I just can't see how it can be installed incorrectly ..I'm at a complete dead end now..any additional tips is very much appreciated. .I'm starting to think about swapping to electric
Lincoln22
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincoln22 »

So I have gone through 2 more pumps and neither are drawing any gas from a container I have set up on the side...is it possible the push rod has worn out needs to be replaced? I just can't imagine that being a case since this year has a solid stock steel on it...also I'm starting to second guess myself on the fuel pump install. I just can't see how it can be installed incorrectly ..I'm at a complete dead end now..any additional tips is very much appreciated. .I'm starting to think about swapping to electric