Modern frame

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

iverness63

Modern frame

Post by iverness63 »

I have a '63 that has a lot of rust in the front frame area. I was wondering if the wheel base on the newer Crown Vics are close to the Lincoln's.
jleonard
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jleonard »

Probably a very different wheel base. You can find this information with some web searching, I'm sure.

This would be a very difficult thing to accomplish. The Lincoln is a unibody, so you would have a hard time fitting it over a separate frame without just setting it on top. And that would look pretty obvious.

- John
Designer & manufacturer of the GearHead Engineering disc brake conversion kit for 1961-1964 Lincolns.
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1965 Ford Galaxie
1967 MGB
2007 Mazda5 (kid hauler with zoom zoom!)
iverness63

Post by iverness63 »

Thanks for the insight. I plan on a huge amount of work to be done. I've had my car ten years now. If I were to actually find a front sub, it would almost be as much work for me. That's why I was pondering this idea.
Gabriel
Frequent Contributor

Post by Gabriel »

Hey,

My grandad has a 90s crown vic. Ill be over there today so I could take
some measurements for you if you want :grin:

Cheers,
Gabriel.
iverness63

Post by iverness63 »

That would be great! Thanks.
layddually
Occasional Visitor

Re: Modern frame

Post by layddually »

i know this is an old thread but i thought about doing the same thing. but i want to use a front frame clip from a vehicle with anactual A arm on the bottom. then use 2x3x1/4 to build a custom frame. i will have to build a new floor, make body mounts, cut out the old front unibody frame.
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

I applaud your bravery but I have to ask... 'why'?
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
marolf101x
Frequent Contributor

Post by marolf101x »

I have to ask, "why not?" (then again, I enjoy the extreme when it comes to cutting things up!)

http://www.projectawdcamaro.com
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Why not? Assuming your car is a slabside, modifying the unibody design with a subframe would entail a lot of work. From a safety standpoint I wouldn't feel comfortable driving such a thing. From a practicality standpoint I can't see what added use it gives the car. It's still a 5000 lbs car that's flummoxed by corners. A final and more subjective point: I fail to see how it would improve the coolness... all that time and effort could better be applied otherwise.

Having said that, welcome to the forum!

autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

marolf101x wrote:I have to ask, "why not?" (then again, I enjoy the extreme when it comes to cutting things up!)
I agree, go for it, whatever floats your boat is a good idea. Just be careful when you search the term YNot.
layddually
Occasional Visitor

Post by layddually »

why? #1 reason because i can. the stock unibody frame and front structure is rusted. this would not be the most difficult task i have done. i have built custom frames before. i have built completly new floors. now the idea i had is to use the front frame clip from say a full size chevy c1500 then 2"x3" box tube frame back. custom floor smoothed and painted with no carpet. or maybe use mustang II clip either way i will also be able to upgrade to 6 piston brake calipers and big rotors, the lower A arm will do away with the strut rods. i want to bend the pinch moulding lip over and lay true rocker and have something solid to drag. oh and did i mention i want to be able to drag the hell out of it.

now reasons not to do it. I dont know yet. oh ok i have one. the wife will be mad because it will take longer before she gets to drive it.
layddually
Occasional Visitor

Post by layddually »

ReijerLincoln wrote:I applaud your bravery but I have to ask... 'why'?
why install aftermarket wheels? why mod the suspension? why change the paint? why change the stereo?
my answer to you is simple. To be different, to stand out. that is why i am also swapping the engine to the triton v10. the engine swap is happening even if i dont do the frame idea.

i just finished an 03 chevy truck with a 96 tbird irs on bags.
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

layddually wrote:oh and did i mention i want to be able to drag the hell out of it.
No you didn't. But that does change things. I presumed your were going to build a road legal car. I'm curious to see how things are going to work out, especially that motor. Hope you post a lot of photos and stories. How badly rusted is the unibody? You should be able to pick up a solid parts car (sedan) for under $2000.

layddually
Occasional Visitor

Post by layddually »

sorry i didnt mean drag race. i meant drag it on the highway to make lots of sparks.
as for the v10 i saw one in a crown vic if they can stuff on in there. there should be plenty of room in the lincoln.
layddually
Occasional Visitor

Post by layddually »

here is a link to mindtometals myspace. the pic is of an old chevy station wagon. they used what looks like an s-10 front clip oh and its unibody.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=9700944

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”