Are new oils ruining our cars? Must Read!

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Rypsolisti

Re: Are new oils ruining our cars? Must Read!

Post by Rypsolisti »

What about differential fluids? What kind of oil would you recommend to use in rear end, gear oil I guess you call it. Someone suggested me something like 75w90 would do fine? Car in question is '58 Continental Mark III with original differential and powertrain.
Lincolns of my family
'05 Town Car
'95 Mark VIII
'59 Continental Mark IV Town Car
'58 Continental Mark III Convertible
'49 Cosmopolitan Convertible
mikemm
Frequent Contributor

Post by mikemm »

75w90 is the most common diff fluid used.
Frank Drebin
Occasional Visitor

Post by Frank Drebin »

I use a 20 W 50 Oil.
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/deutsch/ ... ing_20w-50

I tested serveral Oil Types. The best oil for my 71 Mark III is this Valvoline 20W50 with a high ZZDP.

Oil Consuption reduced to cero. Good oil pressure. Needs to be driven carefully in warm up phase in lower temperature areas.
For middle Europe good choice if you won´t drive in winter Seasons under 0 * C.
bwanapete

Post by bwanapete »

I just bought a 1941 V12 Continental. Oil pressure is ok on startup (35 lbs) but after 7 miles, down to about 10 lbs. So I was thinking of going to thicker oil but just read all the posts on this thread, and most of the blog by 540ratblog. If I use the right oil, is this pressure ok?

Suggestions?
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Sounding like someone put some synthetic oil in there that does not belong. Synthetics get water thin as they heat and it is needed because the tolerances in the new motors are so tight. Allows the oil to get into the super tiny cervices.

Thinking an oil change and filter is due ASAP. I would go no lighter than 10w-30w or maybe a 5w-30w, probably better with a 10w-40w or a 20-50. Don't forget to add ZDDP or get an oil with it as an additive. New oils do not have it. Rislone makes it as an additive and Advance Auto was carrying it. Not sure about Auto Zone, Pep Boys or Walmart. Here it is ad Advanced.. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ris ... lsrc=aw.ds

ZDDP=zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) Zinc and Phosphorous EP (extreme pressure)
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

As a rule, any oil pressure at all on these v-12's is considered good. Wayne
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

The oil pressure readings you are getting on the V-12 engine are typical at idle, you should get readings around 20-30 at highway speeds with 10W-30 oil. If your gauge does not read in that range, I suggest getting a mechanical gauge to check the accuracy of the sending unit.

Ford recommended 30 weight oil in the summer months for your car, the modern equivalent would be 10W-30. Any of the major brands of oil will work fine in your engine.

I would not add ZDDP or any other profit improver to my oil. The modern oils are complex combinations of oils, polymores, detergents and wear preventing chemicals and the profit improvers could upset the balance of these chemicals, causing damage to the engine.

Most of the users on this Forum are more familiar with the cars of the 60's and later. There is an active Forum on the AACA site for the Zephyrs and Continentals. The users have many years of experience with cars like yours, so the answers will be based on experience.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
NoSubstitute

Post by NoSubstitute »

I've read through most of the thread, and didn't see anything about high zinc and catalytic converters. I recently purchased a '78 Mark V, with the 460 engine and 19k original miles, and was hoping to find a conventional 10W-40 oil with the higher zinc. I was leaning towards either the Valvoline VR1 10W-30 or 20W-50 (or maybe an even mix of the two), but as I read through the fine print, the label said it shouldn't be used with vehicles that have catalytic converters. Can someone provide me with a recommendation of a oil please? I'll be storing the car in the winter months, so even though I'm in Michigan, I don't foresee starting it in temps below 50 degrees.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This is fine. I see no reason to use 20w-50 as that is probably too thick for these old engines, even in this heat. It was hotter in Arizona than this in the 70s back then.

Valvoline is fine.

I wouldn’t worry about the cats. They are probably not very effective, but you won’t know unless you get an emissions test, which isn’t required.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

NoSubstitute wrote:I've read through most of the thread, and didn't see anything about high zinc and catalytic converters. I recently purchased a '78 Mark V, with the 460 engine and 19k original miles, and was hoping to find a conventional 10W-40 oil with the higher zinc. I was leaning towards either the Valvoline VR1 10W-30 or 20W-50 (or maybe an even mix of the two), but as I read through the fine print, the label said it shouldn't be used with vehicles that have catalytic converters. Can someone provide me with a recommendation of a oil please? I'll be storing the car in the winter months, so even though I'm in Michigan, I don't foresee starting it in temps below 50 degrees.
https://blog.sfrcorp.com/2007/10/15/zddp-in-additives/

I think you are referring to newer Cat Converters and zinc. The material in newer catalytic converters around model year 2006 doesn't like zinc so that was take out of the newer oils. And that is an issue for older cars to some degree.
https://blog.sfrcorp.com/2006/08/16/sfr ... otor-oils/

Your late 1970s ride should be good.

>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
NoSubstitute

Post by NoSubstitute »

action wrote: I think you are referring to newer Cat Converters and zinc. The material in newer catalytic converters around model year 2006 doesn't like zinc so that was take out of the newer oils. And that is an issue for older cars to some degree.
https://blog.sfrcorp.com/2006/08/16/sfr ... otor-oils/

Your late 1970s ride should be good.

>>>>>>>Action
Excellent! Thanks for the response.