460 vs 462 for a 67 Continental

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

cbriggs3
Occasional Visitor

460 vs 462 for a 67 Continental

Post by cbriggs3 »

I tried doing a search, couldn't find anything to answer my question. I just bought a 67 continental coupe. It has a 462 in it right now. I plan on pulling it to see if it is salvagable (won't turnover now). If it is not, should it be replaced by a 460 or 462. This is my first major restoration for a ford, so any pros and cons would be appreciated. Also, what is the best source to get a crate 460 or a rebuild kit for a 460? Thanks in advance,

Chris Briggs
sgt art
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by sgt art »

IMO the best source for a crate 460 would be through a Ford dealer. They will guaranty it and will be lot easier to work with on that than someone who drop ships it to you. However, there might be warranty problems if the engine is used in an application other where another engine was originally used. Check with the dealer. It might cost more, but I think it would be worth the peace of mind. In some cases, I've found a new crate engine is cheaper than a rebuild. I replaced a 350 Chev engine in my truck with a crate engine (long block) for about $1,200 a few years ago. I doubt I could have have rebuilt one much cheaper when you consider parts and machining. Plus, it did carry a factory warranty on it.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." SMIB, Ben Franklin

93 Mark VIII
72 Mark IV
77 Buick Electra (403 0lds engine)
85 GMC 3500
Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Joe Nemec »

is there room in the engine compartment for a 460 in a 67 Continental...?
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV
John T
Occasional Visitor

Post by John T »

Chris:
It maybe tempting to install a 460 but there are many items that need to be adapted and some rare parts located. The 460 needs modified frame rails to clear the exhaust manifolds and you need the early manifolds to clear the frame steering gear etc. Check out the power steering pump and see what alternatives exist for another pump location. The 462 pump will not fit a 460.
The 462 is a rugged engine and can be rebuild, although expensive, you only do this once. The extra money spend on rebuilding the 462 will be offset by the time savings in not adapting many parts. Trust me I have done engine swaps and all the small details take more time than you think.
Have fun

John T.
cbriggs3
Occasional Visitor

Post by cbriggs3 »

Is there any cheaper alternatives to rebuilding this motor? Is a 430 a cheaper alternative? Thanks,

Chris
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Chris,

The 430 and the 462 are basically the same engine. (When compared to a 460) So the costs are going to be about the same.

Getting the 462 repaired would allow you to have a known vehicle. If you put a 460 or a 430 in it, you now have a one of a kind. If you will keep your car for ever it does not make any difference. However, if you want to sell it some day, the one of a kind thing will hurt value most of the time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
cbriggs3
Occasional Visitor

Post by cbriggs3 »

What is the average cost of having a shop pull and rebuild a 462 including parts and machining? I did a search, and I saw some posts that stated $4000-$5000. Is this accurate?
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I do my own work. (labor)

However I did price out parts for a rebuilt on my Merc. It's a FE block and the prices should be a little lower. And I came up with about $1000 for pistons, rings, bearings, cam & lifters, valves, oil pump, water pump and a gasket set.

Add labor of $2500 - 20 hours to R&R dissassemble and reassemble plus some extra for machine work.

That's a total of $3500 maybe $4K for a MEL block

It's the other things (if needed) that can get you
engine paint
thermostat
belts and hoses
carb and/or dist work
alternator/regulator
starter
flywheel
wiring repairs
radiator
A/C system work

And as long as you have pulled the engine why not restore the engine bay.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Joe Nemec »

Action, excellent breakdown of estimate pricing & work. This is what everyone who is thinking of going into classic cars should take into consideration. unfortunately, most find this out (after) buying there dream car...
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Thanks Joe,

And I haven't mentioned brakes, steering and suspension. And I would put brakes on the top of the to do list ahead of any engine work.

And if you are not mechanical, brakes is a good place to start. Just let some one check your work and help you with the hydrallics. (Bleeding)

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
drcliff
Occasional Visitor

Post by drcliff »

John T wrote:Chris:
The 460 needs modified frame rails to clear the exhaust manifolds and you need the early manifolds to clear the frame steering gear etc. Check out the power steering pump and see what alternatives exist for another pump location. The 462 pump will not fit a 460.
john-
are you sure the 460 is wider than the 462? 429/460 is a notoriously 'small' big block and you can wedge it into places a big block chevy or dodge would never fit.

i've done a lot of swaps, some i was proud of and some i wasn't. they don't always turn out as planned, even with good homework.they're ALWAYS more work than you expect. even a 'bolt-in' swap like a V8 vega or pinto requires some very specific parts to work.

eyeballing my 64, it looks like plenty of room for a 460, if you fabbed your own headers or used 'block-huggers' like sanderson makes. i agree though that the most glaring obstacle would be the P/S pump. i'd do a lot of homework to make sure the new pump makes comparable line pressure & volume before i even took a wrench to the car.

actually, i've thought about swapping in a late-model triton V-10 simply b/c i'm spoiled by modern electronic engine mgmt. heresy, i know.

lastly, and someone else brought this up, an engine swap, even a very clean, 'perfect' one, will all but destroy resale value. it's an absolute sunken cost that you should only consider for a car you plan on keeping forever, or if you're building a race car, or if you're getting paid to do it for someone else. my two cents.
1964 Continental Sedan
2002 Acura RSX Type S
Covering both ends of the spectrum.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

actually, i've thought about swapping in a late-model triton V-10 simply b/c i'm spoiled by modern electronic engine mgmt. heresy, i know.

Even if it is not heresy, it would be a monumental task that will involve not only the engine but the transmission as well. Power train management these days is not limited to the engine only.

As for the original poster's question about 460 vs 462, stick with the 462 though the 460 might seemingly make sense. The issues with the exhaust, etc.; can end up eating up more cash than would be saved on a rebuild. If the car was a '68 with a 462, the 460 swap would be virtually a drop-in as both engines were offered in early '68 production. One could actually specify which engine they wanted if ordering a new car.

With respect to the power steering pump issue brought up by someone, I believe the '68 and '69 versions of the 460 had a crank driven pump just like the 462, all production thereafter had the pulley driven pump like the FE block and the small block Ford engines.
essenz
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by essenz »

I priced out an official 462 rebuild quote from one of the larger companies out there. They've done 462's in the past, and general consesus was $3600-$3800 and that included shipping. The only other fees would be getting the engine in and out. So when a shop quotes you $4400, that extra $600-800 is going towards the engine removal/installation.

Rebuilding the 462 is really the only way to go.

-john
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Do NOT put in a 460.
John T
Occasional Visitor

Post by John T »

drcliff:
I have looked closely at the 460 factory installed in a 68. The engine is very close to the frame rails which Lincoln added chamfers to clear the exhaust manifolds. The clearance is still very tight with the fragile early exhaust manifolds. Getting to the bolts on these manifolds is tight. I do not believe headers would fit because the tubes need a very tight bend that is not possible. Most of these manifolds have cracks, meaning they are more expensive.

The modification costs will meet or probably exceed the cost of a MEL rebuild. The only way to try this is to buy a parts car with a 460 and swap ALL the parts. These cars are rare as they were only used for ~2 years.

Keep the car original and spend the time and money on the stock MEL. If you ever sell the car the original engine, properly rebuilt, will be an asset. Once done you can enjoy many carefree enjoyable miles with a MEL. These engines have great torque which is what you need to move the weight of a Lincoln.

Have fun

John T.