1965 - Leftover part - Any ideas?

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Tmiller6

1965 - Leftover part - Any ideas?

Post by Tmiller6 »

I'm back under my dash reassembling brackets and harnesses around the steering column.

I have this left over. I don't see it in my photos or the blue manual.
Leftover.jpg
I would hat the put the dash back on only to find out this is something important.

I had the moveable steering column and brake booster out of the car if this is a clue to where it goes. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Tom Miller
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1965 - Leftover part - Any ideas?

Post by Lee »

It shouldn’t be under the dash, but that looks like a window stop.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Tmiller6

Post by Tmiller6 »

I haven’t removed any door panels. Most of my recent efforts are from the back seat forward. I have the front seat out to lubricate that jacks and to replace a drive cable.
Tom Miller
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

If it is a window stop, consider that someone may have been there before you. This is almost always true, especially with cars this old. That part might have been just the right thing to hold this or that thing in that or this place, for this moment or forever. The human mind is always ready to invent, even when we don't think it is. Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My guess is it's a bumper for the column, but I have never worked on one so it's just a guess. Does it make a klunk at the end of it's travel?
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Tmiller6

Post by Tmiller6 »

No clunk on either end of the column’s travel. I haven’t applied engine vacuum but was able to unlock it manually.

The only other guys that ever worked on the car was the Ford garage. When I got the car in the early eighties, the left rear window was down and there was a piece of yellow Kodak cardboard jammed inside the door. One photographer told me the window went down unexpectedly on a mechanic’s arm so they patched the opening instead.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I want to say I have seen this part in place in Frankenstein's dash, but I can't be sure.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”