49 Cosmo Sport Sedan

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

BobtheCro

49 Cosmo Sport Sedan

Post by BobtheCro »

Glad I found you guys! I just bought a 49 Cosmo Sport Sedan and it has been interesting so far. Got it running, maybe on 7 cylinders though. I hope I can find some useful tips. Just figuring out what hydraulic fluid and brake fluid to use will be a lifesaver. Can hardly wait to get it out on the road! Looking forward to reading all your posts!
Bob
1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan 9EH Sports Sedan
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 49 Cosmo Sport Sedan

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Split from other thread. Welcome.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good information here, Wayne
BobtheCro

Post by BobtheCro »

Thanks Dan, I'll definitely look through that thread.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

The windows and seat originally used brake fluid to operate them. Some people rebuilt the system and replaced the brake fluid with hydraulic fluid. The brake system on some cars was cleaned and refilled with DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid. You need to check out both systems to determine what has been done in the past.

I would start by finding a piece of scrap metal with paint on it. Then I would take a few drops of fluid from the master cylinder, under the floor, and put it on the paint. It should soften the paint in a couple of hours if it is DOT 3, 4, 5.1 brake fluid. Do the same with the hydraulic reservoir for the windows and seat. If neither of them soften the paint, I would draw more fluid from each source and put them into separate glass containers so you can get a good guess about the color. Silicone brake fluid is purple and hydraulic fluid is usually clear or amber. Dirty fluid is usually brown in color.

Once you have determined what you have, you must continue using that product in the system, unless you flush and rebuild the system.

Please post some photos of your car, so we can enjoy it also.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
BobtheCro

Post by BobtheCro »

Here are a few shots of the car. It's running now after I rebuilt the carb and fuel/vacuum pump, but I have no compression on cyl #8. I'm hoping its just a stuck valve, I've been starting it up everyday to see if it will get more oil to the lifters and maybe free up. There's no knocking just the miss. I did get a head gasket from LOPS and plan on pulling the head if it doesn't improve soon.
I must say it sounds pretty good even on 7 cylinders. :lol:
Attachments
20240324_134227.jpg
20240324_134316.jpg
20240324_134408.jpg
20240324_134425.jpg
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Good looking car, Bob. Love those frenched headlights. It's been more than a few years since I've dealt with a stuck valve, but I once broke one loose slowly pouring ATF mixed with acetone down the carb (don't even think about doing this anywhere near your own neighborhood, though). I've also heard of guys doing the same trick with Seafoam and Marvel Mystery oil.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
BobtheCro

Post by BobtheCro »

Thank you Lee. I did use Seafoam in the cylinders before I tried to start it up to free up the rings and it really helped bring the compression up. All but #8, I'll give that a try since it's running now.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

ATF and Acetone, half and half is the cheapest, most effective loosener on the market or planet unless you want to use Weezel Wiz, which you can find on the interweb thing. Wayne

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”