Neutral switch adjustment

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

benstarz
Occasional Visitor

Neutral switch adjustment

Post by benstarz »

Hello all,
So I have no back up lights .
It’s the neutral switch that needs adjusting.
At the moment my switch when in park is about 5-7mm to the right if you look at it from the front.
I do have the need to pull back on the lever in the park position for it engage to start the car.
My question is : should the neutral switch after adjustment be totally to the left which it turn pushes the slack out of the lever when in park??

I’ve looked but can’t find an exactly step by step process to follow.
Thanks in advance for any help.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Neutral switch adjustment

Post by TonyC »

Before anyone asks, this is for your '65, right? The shop manual does have stepped guidance on how to adjust it, but the guidance is in a chapter that many wouldn't think of searching. Look in the chapter that covers transmission service and repair; that's where they put the guidance. If what you see there still doesn't seem to help, we can.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
benstarz
Occasional Visitor

Post by benstarz »

I shall look now..
Thankyou tony
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Here is Motor's procedure:
Attachments
IMG_0440.JPG
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

It's funny how that page specified '64/5 and '67, then gave the same guidance for '66 as the other years. In '66 they had a separate neutral/reverse switch mounted on the side of the transmission, the column piece serving only for parking brake release.

But, something I learned was that the '66 column piece could be used also as neutral-safety/reverse if the one on the transmission gave up the ghost; all it needed was to transfer the wires to the right tabs built into the switch, using female spade connectors of the right size. How do I know this? I did it, with Frankenstein. The trans switch self-destructed, and the column switch on my retrofitted '67 column broke a couple rivets for the wires; so I removed the switch from the old '66 column and discovered the tabs place in the same spots as the rivet points on the '67 switch. On a hunch I took the column piece off my original '66 column, spliced on spade connectors, connected the wires, and ba-bing, I had reverse lights again. I should also have neutral safety, but there is something else wrong with that circuit (caused a very long time ago with the prior owner), probably a bypass-raping of that circuit by an unscrupulous mechanic who was tasked to fix a no-start problem. I've never been able to trace and fix that problem.

But all this is beside the point. The page shows the right guidance on how to adjust the switch, and fix the OP's problem.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
MFE
Occasional Visitor

Post by MFE »

The procedure for the '69 is very specific about the Park Reset Button and about how the "Park reset must be performed whenever the switch is adjusted", but the imagery does not identify the button in question. Where is it?
1969 Continental Sedan
Phoenix area
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

There was a recent thread that got into that subject, though I think it was a veer-off from another topic. I can't find it now, possibly because I'm gradually losing consciousness.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Here’s the visual.
Attachments
IMG_0669.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
MFE
Occasional Visitor

Post by MFE »

thank you
1969 Continental Sedan
Phoenix area

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”