Headlights going off and on

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Headlights going off and on

Post by frasern »

One can only guess from here, possibly he bypassed the flickering headlight switch with the highest amperage switch he could find. Turn it on and see if the headlights go on, it may be wired parallel, so as to be an override.
I would examine every nook of that cars wiring for other "fixes".
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

Yea your right I'll double check everything. By the way how do you turn on high beams on these cars?
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

That was right around the time they changed from a floor button to a stalk on the column, push forward for high, back for low. Dodge and GM are different than Ford.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Read your owners manual!

Buy an owners manual!

Or at least look online for one.

(I don’t know anything about 1980 and up Lincolns.)
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

frasern wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:17 am That was right around the time they changed from a floor button to a stalk on the column, push forward for high, back for low. Dodge and GM are different than Ford.
Rite, I was looking for the floor button so was kind of confused 😆
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, there is a bit of difference between Ford's stalk changer and the others. Can't speak for Highland-Park cars; but GM's design, which began circa 1977-ish, had the operator pull the stalk back to flip between high and low floods. With Ford, as mentioned already, the operator pushed the stalk towards the dash to switch on the highs, then pull it back to normal to switch them off. In some cases, like on Lincolns, one could pull the stalk back further to engage a flash feature. Audi used a design similar to Ford's in the '80s.

I also concur with Dan. If your car doesn't still have its owner's manual (which it may not, back then they were still prone to attract sticky fingers), get one if you can find one. The gadgetry of that decade can be very confusing without the instructions on how to use them; if you don't know how to use them, you can't diagnose them.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”