1978 Lincoln Continental Convertible

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1978 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Post by frasern »

At the time, in 1979, I had a '71 Ford, and the first thing I said when I saw that car was "That's a '71 Ford top". I have seen a similar bump on others, they were also sold as custom add ons. Most limos had one.
I am only guessing, but I think the car would be shipped from the plant, to the custom shop, and would have the DSO of that location, AHA would be A1. That could be a way of closing in on who built it. AHA had a dash plaque, with the owners name, but that may not have lasted through the second owner.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Paige

Post by Paige »

The car was originally Cordovan - think I prefer the cherry black colour so will probably not restore to original colour. Originally purchased by country linc merc sls in NY. Do you think something from NY would go to Canada to be converted?
Reports is the roof is intermittently working - will test it out over the weekend and get some more photos up.
77 Lincoln Continental Convertible
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I mistook the paint for dark blue, but black cherry will do that.
From what I have read, AHA built about 10 per year, and all were sold new in Canada. Of course, most later ended up stateside, because that's where all the money is. Most US shops were doing Mark Vs, so look for a builder who did Town Coupes in the New York area. Someone on here had a couple of them, one was a Town Car convertible sedan, that will be a good place to look. He was selling them, a few years back, and I don't recall his name.
'62 and '67 LCC.
Paige

Post by Paige »

Amazing thank you for your help. I’m also clearly an amateur here, not sure how to identify the DSO?
Attachments
IMG_1443.jpeg
Paige

Post by Paige »

Just realised photo is really blurry, DSO 1781
Paige

Post by Paige »

Actually there is another one - 15 which I have just discovered means New York. I will start hunting for the place that did the conversions near NY! Thank you!
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I would google country L-M in Huntington and see if they still exist. Probably a dead end though, nobody from '77 still works there. Yes, 15 is the DSO, 1781 is part of the order no. It is not a special order. The time lapse between released and sold, 10 mos. is consistent with a very slow build.
It may not have been built in NY, that was just a thought, but I now think it was flawed. It would have to be compliant with state regulations for New York to be sold there, but could have been shipped to another destination first.
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”