1979 console adjustment

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

1979lincolnfan

1979 console adjustment

Post by 1979lincolnfan »

I have a 1979 Mark 5 with a console. It will open as it should by turning the knob for forward. However, it will not stay closed. It will close and then open slightly as the picture shows. Is there an adjustment I can make to remedy this?
Attachments
console.jpg
1979lincolnfan

Re: 1979 console adjustment

Post by 1979lincolnfan »

So I will answer my own question. After removing the console from the car and inspecting the console door mechanism. ( quite a marvel of engineering) I found the issue. There was an excessive gap causing the console doors not to close properly. I did try elongating the bolt hole for some adjustment, but it was not enough. In order to close the gap, I took a washer and cut two sections out of the washer with my Dremel. I took these sections of washer and JB welded them together. I then JB welded the cut washers onto the mechanism. With the gap tightened up, the console doors close properly. I also lubed everything so the console and arm rest mechanisms work smoothly.
Attachments
console mechanism excessive gap.jpg
console jb weld added.jpg
console doors closed.jpg
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1979 console adjustment

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Nice fix! Love seeing people engineer solutions and sharing what they did. Surely will help the next guy. And maybe me if I acquire a Mark V someday.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”