Mark Lower Control Arm Compatability

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

puddlepirate

Mark Lower Control Arm Compatability

Post by puddlepirate »

Evening all, in removing the passenger side lower control arm this evening from our early 69 we found the lower rear portion underside to be taco'd over so far I could not get a socket on the shock bolt. As you can see in the picture, it appears that a previous owner had it in reverse and hit something pretty solid to bend it over.

While it might be fine to leave as is, I would prefer to replace it with an undamaged one. Looking around the web it seems there are very few available. One ebay listing specifies it's for Marks before 7/68, and all the connector holes seem to match what we've got. Ours appears to be May 68 based on the build sheet.

There are a couple of listings for ones fitting 69 through 79 (Mark III thru V), though there seem to be a couple of very slight differences. The shock on ours mounts via two studs underneath while the newer one has bolt holes to mount it. There is also an additional hole in the newer one next to the sway bar link. However the ball joints, shocks, the lower control arm bushings, strut rods, and the sway bar links seem to be interchangeable between them.

Am I on track with assuming that the newer 69-79 is a direct fit, or is there something I'm missing?
Attachments
early 69 metal taco'd over the shock bolt
early 69 metal taco'd over the shock bolt
69 to 79 with different mounts
69 to 79 with different mounts
Last edited by puddlepirate on Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1969 Lincoln Continental Mk III Project
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Mark Lower Control Arm Compatability

Post by frasern »

I would certainly replace that, it's amazing how many cars are running around with bent suspension parts like that. I expect that when the running change was made, the new part was backwards compatible. If it were not, the parts books would have a before and after date for the replacement part, if no such date is shown you are good to go.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I’d also check that strut rod and its bracket to make sure something else didn’t bend.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
puddlepirate

Post by puddlepirate »

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it very much. We (teen/tween boys and I) have the entirety of the front suspension and steering removed right now to replace every rubber component, ball joints, etc, and apply some paint. The strut rods both seem perfectly straight, but the bushings on the passenger side were so far gone there were only a few bits of rubber left. It appears the lower arm was the only casualty of whatever happened, thankfully!

It's been interesting with zero info on the background of the car to see a few oddities here and there and discuss with them what they think might have happened to cause them.

Thanks again!!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here's the cross reference for the LCAs.
Attachments
69-71 Mark III LCA PNs
69-71 Mark III LCA PNs
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

If no other front end parts changed mid-year the later one should be usable.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

puddlepirate wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:30 am Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it very much. We (teen/tween boys and I) have the entirety of the front suspension and steering removed right now to replace every rubber component, ball joints, etc, and apply some paint. The strut rods both seem perfectly straight, but the bushings on the passenger side were so far gone there were only a few bits of rubber left. It appears the lower arm was the only casualty of whatever happened, thankfully!

It's been interesting with zero info on the background of the car to see a few oddities here and there and discuss with them what they think might have happened to cause them.

Thanks again!!
You will need to replace the rears next. Here is a thread when I did mine.
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... le#p415277
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
puddlepirate

Post by puddlepirate »

Following up on this, I ended up getting one from ebay, off of a 77 Cougar. No issues with fitment whatsoever. I've never been a fan of press-in ball joints so that's my only minor complaint. We're doing a bit more front end cleanup and paint with the steering and front suspension completely off of the car, but we'll be moving on to the rear control arms in the next week or two, pending decent weather.

Thanks again for the assistance!!

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”