62 Lincoln Convertible

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jdeawright
Occasional Visitor

Re: 62 Lincoln Convertible Update lll

Post by jdeawright »

Update...I successfully blead the hydraulic pumps. It was 40 degrees, so I didn't really run the risk of them running hot. Once blead, I was able to get the top to open and close once with no hiccups. After that i had all kinds of problems...
1. The lid would get stuck in the open position when it was time to close after the top was back up. I might have to change the solenoid. I only bought one when I needed three of them.
2. Then the screw down mechanism stop working when I was able to get it down.
3. When the lid was lowering to cover the downed top it would shake violently on the way down and smooth out right before it closed and locked.
4. I think some relays stopped working, and when I cut the car off and back on they seem to be working again. I could not tell which ones were tripping off.

I attribute a lot of this to the top not being down for many years. And there maybe some faulty replacement relays from previous work done on the top. I have attached some pics as the movie is too large.

Any advice would be welcome at this point. Thanks! Happy New Year!
Attachments
IMG_2202.jpg
IMG_2204.jpg
IMG_2214.jpg
IMG_2216.jpg
IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2219.jpg
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 62 Lincoln Convertible

Post by frasern »

I have not yet really done any testing on my '62, so just hypothesizing here. If the top was not used for a long time, some linkage bushings could be dry, was the trunk lid moving freely when you had everything disconnected?
If it is only the trunk lid downward movement, you could have a restriction in the rear solenoid or upper rear hoses, it will be messy, but unhook the 2 cylinders and see if air moves freely through the hose, between the fittings, then check at the solenoid fitting.
When John Cashman was still here, he stated that all components should be replaced if converting to ATF, as mixing the two will cause problems. He did not say what problems, but I would think it is possible for the rubber parts soaked with brake fluid, to swell when exposed to ATF, but this is just a thought, I'm not an expert on fluids.
I think the screws stopping is loose wiring, as they should run pretty much all the time the trunk is cycling.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
jdeawright
Occasional Visitor

Post by jdeawright »

Great advice. I have made good progress. These are few things that I've done...

-I blead the system multiple times. And after it sat overnight, I think it even more air made its way back to the pump.
-I swapped out the replacement Top Down and Top Up relays with new ones I sourced on the internet. (I bought I couple of extras for the future) I added pics of the wiring for the new replacement relays.
-The top now works nicely.
-I still have not regained the screw down mechanism at the end of lid going down when the top is up and/or down. It used to work and pull the top down for a smooth flat appearance. I still have to track that issue down. I suspect it's a relay.
-I have ordered a couple of NOS Top Lock and Top Unlock relays to see if that solves the problem.
-Lastly, I sprayed all of the joints with white lithium grease which alleviated all of the creaks and stiffness of the top going up and down.

I still have 2 solenoids that I need to replace and that will be a refresh of the entire system.
Attachments
IMG_2286.jpg
IMG_2287.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg
IMG_2290.jpg
Pic of the old relays I replaced
Pic of the old relays I replaced
jdeawright
Occasional Visitor

Re: 62 Lincoln Convertible Update lV - FIXED (for now)

Post by jdeawright »

I replaced the last two solenoids and the top is giving a strong performance. I was still having the issue of the deck not screwing down. I solved that!
As I mentioned before I replaced the Top Lock and Unlock relays. I then replaced the DecK Lock relay too. That fixed the problem. I also pinched the female end of the plugs a bit to ensure good contact.
Attachments
Relay replacement.jpg
MillHillHustlin

Post by MillHillHustlin »

Awesome Thread. Im up in Greer, SC right up the road from you with a 62 vert. Top is stuck down currently so needing an update on my system as well.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”