Coolant Leak / Expansion Tank

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Coolant Leak / Expansion Tank

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Bypass hose leak is possible. The host may be rotted and/or the nipple is rusted out. Welcome to the world of wet manifolds.

I have the proper 7/8” gates hose cut to the exact correct length f you have trouble locating a source. I can ship for probably $25 in the USA. If you want a spare, I’ll ship 2 for $30.

If your nipple is ok, you can replace he bypass hose without removing the water pump. This just means you cut about 1/2” off and split the difference between the two nipples.

There are threads just about the coolant bypass hose here you can search for (use the Google site:thelincolnforum.net term1 term2 term3 method for best results).
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I concur, those hoses can and will fail; few think about that until it happens. Although replacing that hose with the intake or water pump in place is not the easiest of tasks, it's doable, easier than removing the intake. Being that the hose is almost in line with the freeze plugs, and the engine is tilted to send a leak from either point down the same general direction, I say start with a new bypass hose; then, if after confirming that is sealed you still see a coolant leak, then you may have a bad plug (if a probe reveals it, then that eliminates doubt), in which case remove the intake and have it serviced.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Normally, I would suspect the bypass hose, but that should have been replaced when the engine was rebuilt. Still, that's the easiest and cheapest place to start.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

frasern wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:02 pm Normally, I would suspect the bypass hose, but that should have been replaced when the engine was rebuilt. Still, that's the easiest and cheapest place to start.

You're right. It's hard to tell if the bypass hose was replaced in 2020 when the engine was rebuilt or it's from back in 2017 when the water pump was replaced. What I do know is that they used a worm-gear hose clamp and it appears upon close inspection that it was maybe over-tightened and the clamps are digging into the meat of the hose. I need to look at another style of clamp. Plus, maybe the over-tightening cracked the hose nipple fitting into intake manifold.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I doubt the latter happened, unless the fitting was already dreadfully corroded. Compromising the hose with tightening of the clamp is possible, but honestly the worm-drive clamps are the best clamp options. They do need to be very tight, though, to prevent any pressurized coolant from leaking; to do that without the worry of overtightening, you just have to get to a starting point, and tweak it when you spot a leak from there until the leak stops.

Another thing: You have to align the clamp in a way that you can access the screw head best when everything is in place. It may require some tests before a final assembly, but you should be able to determine the best way to slide it on that can keep it serviceable.

That said, I have discovered that worm-drive clamps sold for automotive purposes are so poorly made that you cannot damage the hoses by overtightening the clamps; you damage the clamps themselves. Worm-drive clamps sold at hardware stores are more durable.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I have seen those nipples dreadfully corroded on numerous lesser Fords, so it would be possible, I think. They are thin steel, pressed in, so I can't even imagine where to find replacements in that size. Perhaps, if I were a younger man, I would start selling lathe turned replacements that convert to a 3/4 hose, and solve both problems. In the mean time, here are some more pixels for the Lincolnverse.
DSCF9351.JPG
This is my 430, the water pump is hard to see because I painted it black. The engine is sideways, on a stand, and I was trying to hold the waterpump close with one hand, and camera in the other, and it's heavy, so the picture's a little blurry.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

frasern wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:54 pm I have seen those nipples dreadfully corroded on numerous lesser Fords, so it would be possible, I think. They are thin steel, pressed in, so I can't even imagine where to find replacements in that size. Perhaps, if I were a younger man, I would start selling lathe turned replacements that convert to a 3/4 hose, and solve both problems. In the mean time, here are some more pixels for the Lincolnverse.DSCF9351.JPGThis is my 430, the water pump is hard to see because I painted it black. The engine is sideways, on a stand, and I was trying to hold the waterpump close with one hand, and camera in the other, and it's heavy, so the picture's a little blurry.

Fraser - thanks for the picture! It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the bypass hose nipple on the block of my '63 has an issue. Since it's supposed to go to the shop next week I think I am going to let them handle it. I asked them to send their hauler to pick it up. Aren't old Lincolns fun?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

O yes, more fun than a human being should be allowed to have. :lol:

I do concur that it is quite possible for corrosion to go that deep; if it can happen at the junction block at the rear, it can happen at the bypass fitting in front. I guess I was lucky that neither went terminal on my intake, but it was there. What I did on my fitting when I last replaced the bypass hose was smear a thin layer of black RTV over the fitting, leaving it to dry before slipping the hose on. I don't know if that could help slow the risk of further corrosion deterioration, but I like to think it could. It certainly helped seal that spot.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"