Vacuum Hoses for 1961 Lincoln

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

rick
Lincoln Maniac

Vacuum Hoses for 1961 Lincoln

Post by rick »

Hello Gents,

So here I go back to the age old issue of Vacuum Hoses. I am going to assume that the vacuum hoses in my 1961 car do not match the design of the 1964 vehicles.

I have already purchased the paperwork made available by Brewer Classic Lincoln in Denver to augment the somewhat spotty information available in the Ford Manuals. (I also have the mechanic's air conditioning manual)

Yet with all the info I now have in my possession plus whatever I've been able to learn from this Forum ........... I'm still struggling.

The 1964 Color Wheel photograph from one of the threads in this Forum doesn't match up with the 1961 Servo diagrams I have in my other paperwork

Has anyone ever designed their own vacuum hose diagram based on their own experience?

Thank You

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Vacuum Hoses for 1961 Lincoln

Post by action »

What are you connecting?
The HVAC system or something else?

>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Hi Action,

Yes the HVAC system.

I do indeed need to do the door locks as well, but I know they are on their own system.

The vacuum hose to the brake booster reservoir and the vacuum hose to the transmission modulator are both connected

The vacuum hoses on the HVAC side of the passenger-side Vacuum Cannister will all need replacing.

The garage that did my new intake manifold installation disconnected and plugged any vacuum lines that got in their way.

Hope this reply helps

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Rick, as you've already noted, it's likely there is a lot of difference between the 61 and 64. That said, the principles of the systems (HVAC, LOCKS, etc.) will be very close. I was wondering, does the 61 have vacuum reserve canisters under both front fenders and does the one on the passenger side have two outlets (hose nipples) connected to it?

Even with diagrams, I had the most success working backwards through the car beginning with the main vacuum tree on the engine and then running to the reserve canisters and back from there. By the time you get those two sub systems replaced, you will also have any necessary check valves also done so you will be able to test and use vacuum itself to work through the rest with the help of your diagrams and from forum members.

I would advise you collect the following materials before you begin. 1. Bulk rolls of the common hose sizes you find under the hood and dash. There are going to be two you use the most. I'm not going to mention the size because that's one place your car may be different. 2. A bunch of hose clamps. I would suggest clamping everything possible even if it was not from the factory. Nothing more frustrating than accidentally pulling off hoses you have already done and not realizing it. 3. Some method of marking hose ends with colors that match your diagrams. Colored tape (see my post about that) or a bunch of small bottles of model paint or hobby paint etc. and 4. Lot's of connectors including straight ones, Tees, Y's, and a couple F's. The straight ones are really handy. 5. An electric vacuum pump. 12 volt vacuum pumps can be found in wrecking yards or new on places like amazon. You don't need the big expensive ones, but there was nothing more useful to me in doing mine than to be able to have a vacuum source running while testing as I go. You can run the car, but the noise and noxious fumes make that nasty. I liked a setup where I had my hose from the pump to the primary hose that attaches to the vacuum tree on the engine long enough that I could take the pump with me where I was working. That way, I could turn it off and on to stop the noise and listen for leaks as I went without getting in and out of the car. Also, they tend to get hot if run a long time continuously so having a way to shut them off and on near you rather than having to get out of under the dash etc. to do it. and 6. A couple (2 or 3) Dorman vacuum check valves and a vacuum gauge that you can carry around with you as you work.

Once you have that stuff, it's not as daunting as you might think to walk it through by system. And we'll help. Some of us have done more than one car.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice.

To answer one question that you asked, "Yes, it's as you thought, the '61 has two vacuum reservoirs. One in each wheel well. The passenger side reservoir is divided into two sections with a nipple in each one. The door locks run off one side and the HVAC and windshield wipers run off the other side."

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

I am pretty familiar with the arrangement of the vacuum hoses in the engine compartment and how they connect to the manifold on the engine side of the firewall. It's confusing for me from that point onward.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

yeah...once it gets into the dash it is pretty scary, not to mention all of the standing on one's head one has to do. I know that I didn't get them all, or at least I'm pretty sure I didn't, but I just traced them out by hand (the ones I could see) and replaced them one at a time. You know, the thigh bone is connected to the....this might be the trick for you, unless someone has already ripped them out for you. I don't think I've ever seen it, but there must be a 61-63 vacuum diagram chart. Wayne
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Bakers Auto had the HVAC vacuum hose diagram for the inside car/rear of firewall on the 64-65. It was excellent. It was incomplete in the engine compartment. They probably had a similar diagram booklet for the 61-63 (presuming they are similar). Unfortunately, Bakers Auto business is in limbo? Not certain to return?

So I would make a call to Lincoln Land and see what they have.
Robert DeFrang
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Here is diagram for 1963 and servo selector diagram. I think 1961 is the same. ???? I think...

Good luck with this job. It is one of the most tedious, yet rewarding ones. Having all new vacuum lines and everything properly working at your fingertips feels so good. Another tip, that I did was to use model paint and paint the vacuum line ends to match factory specs. Makes it much easier to troubleshoot in the future.
Attachments
Schematic.JPG
lincoln-vacuum.jpg
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

The 1961 and 1962 Lincolns are very similar, where the layout of the vacuum hoses in the engine compartment is identical.
What goes on under the dash is similar, but not quite the same. 63 and later are too different to try to compare the systems.

The vacuum diagnosis guide that you purchased from me was put together after extensive comparison of the 61 and 62 documents. The vacuum routing guide is ugly, but correct.

If you need clarification on any issues discussed in the vacuum manual I wrote, please call me and I can help get you going in the right direction.

John Brewer
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Dear John (JAB)

Thank you very much. I'll phone you tomorrow. Appreciated.

Regards

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Baxter2012

Post by Baxter2012 »

Is there a diagram of the vacuum for a 1963 anywhere

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”