If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: New member

Post by frasern »

It is hard to see from a picture, but my gut says it looks worse than it is. I would say a soft(ish) impact from the side, not rear, so the frame may be intact, floor, even trunk lid repairable. I would not give up on it without a very close inspection, which the OP has done, so if he says it's repairable, I respect that.
Welcome aboard Cyclone, whatever path you choose, I wish you well.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

frasern wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:29 am It is hard to see from a picture, but my gut says it looks worse than it is. I would say a soft(ish) impact from the side, not rear, so the frame may be intact, floor, even trunk lid repairable. I would not give up on it without a very close inspection, which the OP has done, so if he says it's repairable, I respect that.
Welcome aboard Cyclone, whatever path you choose, I wish you well.
If the insurance company deemed it a total loss it now has a salvage title. So if you put it back together it will have a rebuilt title and how many people want to buy a Mark iii with a branded salvage rebuilt title? It would be much different if this was like a matching number SS Camaro or something that was highly desirable.

I might still be a buyer!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I won't respond here because that's a huge hijack, but tomorrow, if no one else does, I will start a new thread about salvage, if I can't find one to revive. No time right now though.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

The impact was definitely from the rear, and the back of the frame is bent at what looks like a designed fold point. After talking to a friend who has a frame machine he believes 90% will pull out, and may require a quarter skin. If the skin can't be fully worked smooth.

While I didn't buy the car as an investment, that does factor into the equation. But if I have a basically free car, with some cash to throw at it does the idea of building it to suit my tastes hurt the value? I don't think so.

As I see it the valve of an original survivor car isn't much different from a modified car...

Now I'm a pretty conservative guy when it comes to cars. I think Ford did pretty well when they designed the car, and what I have done to stray from factory is subtle enough that most wouldn't notice unless it was pointed out.

So would a "rebuilt" cross country cruiser really be a bad thing?

I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about putting miles on it like I would an original garage queen.
-Will
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, I'm aware of how the insurance syndicate scams innocent victims. That's a consequence of the government not seriously researching the pros and cons of mandatory-insurance laws before putting them into effect. That is not how it should be, and if I were elected President I'd E-O that criminal practice out of existence. They can keep their "FMV" low-balling when fixing their at-fault clients' junkers; but where innocent, not-fault victims are concerned, they would have to pay out actual repair costs, "FMV" be damned, up to the legal liability limit (beyond that would either be on the victim to carry, or accept a totaling). And as for that sleazy brainwashing of tricking victims into body shops they collude with: A criminal fine (amount TBD) for every offense, paid to a fund to at least partially reimburse victims of that total lie.

Yes, I H8 insurance. Necessary evil, but it needs an overhaul before I'll even tolerate it.

But, to answer Will's question: No, there's nothing wrong with making the car a regular-use cruiser. That's what I did with Frankenstein, which at this time 20 years ago was still considered junkyard fodder. The only things that worked on him were the door hinges. Now, he's my sole source of transpo...and an attention-grabber wherever I go. :wink: If parts are needed, you may still get them off organ donors if there are local graveyards that have organ donors. I happen to know of one in Seguin that has a few IIIs.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

TonyC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:37 pm If parts are needed, you may still get them off organ donors if there are local graveyards that have organ donors. I happen to know of one in Seguin that has a few IIIs.
I've already got a 70 and a 71 parts cars in the back yard. :D
-Will
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

O good, never mind, then. You should have all you need to undo that damage. :smt023

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Cyclonewill wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:56 pm
TonyC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:37 pm If parts are needed, you may still get them off organ donors if there are local graveyards that have organ donors. I happen to know of one in Seguin that has a few IIIs.
I've already got a 70 and a 71 parts cars in the back yard. :D
Anything with black interior?

My wife's Mark was sold new in Pheonix and stayed there until 2021. Zero rust but that heat did a number on that vinyl and leather.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:53 am
Anything with black interior?
Nope, white and blue.

There was a guy selling a complete high back black interior on marketplace, but I've looked at so many ads I can't remember where he was located. If I run across it again I'll send it to you.
-Will

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”