1971 Mark III Arm Rest Repair

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

stovebolt

1971 Mark III Arm Rest Repair

Post by stovebolt »

Howdy;
My drivers side armrest on my 71 Mark III has separated near the rear of the rest. It looks like the foam comprising the arm rest back there has split and then pulled away from the steel core. I see this on a lot of Mark IIIs and I'm wondering if anyone has tried to repair this failure?

The vinyl skin on mine is still in great shape, it simply has started pulling away from the inner core. Until/and if I can find a replacement I'm thinking I could glue the armrest back onto the steel core but that foam is pretty strong and I'm concerned it would simply pull away again. Gluing foam to steel doesn't sound like a recipe for success. Maybe Upholstery glue? Plastic epoxy? Not really sure what would work best.

Has anyone tried to repair their armrest before? With any success? Thoughts or suggestions? Aware of anyone that reproduces the armrest in original colors?

Thanks - Stovebolt
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1971 Mark III Arm Rest Repair

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I wish you luck. Almost all of these are delaminated to some degree. I’ve not seen any specific repairs that were successful, but doesn’t mean it can’t be done. You might pose your question on the Mark III Facebook group also and see if you get any hits.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I think Dan uses super glue and baking soda, but my mind has passed away, mostly. Wayne
stovebolt

Post by stovebolt »

I tried 3M weather strip adhesive, the yellow stuff, ahd have clamped it together. I'll take the clamps off after 48 hours and see if anything holds. I'm hopeful, but not confident.
BobCT
Occasional Visitor

Post by BobCT »

I have the exact same issue. I was going to order the reproduction armrest/core from Mark II enterprises which solves the mounting part of my issue.

But, I have the front part of the foam separation as well.
Finding a good/complete door panel without the same issue seems impossible.

Bob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Foam separation is what happens as the vinyl shrinks and the foam degrades. It’s unstoppable and requires extensive effort to repair or reproduce.

You know what rhymes with extensive? Expensive!
Jberger501
Occasional Visitor

Post by Jberger501 »

You might want to check with Just Dashes in Van Nuys, Ca. I know they’re known for dashboard pad and plastic restoration, and I’m sure they can do armrest pads too.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Jberger501 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:27 pm You might want to check with Just Dashes in Van Nuys, Ca. I know they’re known for dashboard pad and plastic restoration, and I’m sure they can do armrest pads too.
They are...... $$$$$$$$$$$$
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sounds extensive!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

They are expensive, but if you want it done right, you gotta pony up.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
stovebolt

Post by stovebolt »

I've been working on the plastic cores for a couple of days on my Mark III. I used 2 part epoxy to initially glue pieces together and then reinforced the weak points with 1/8 inch aluminum stock applied with rivets and the epoxy. I also epoxied steel washers over the points where the core mounts to the door. Both of my plastic cores were bad but I couldn't see spending $700 for something that, for the most part, isn't visible. Are they perfect? no, but nobody will ever know.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:11 pm They are expensive, but if you want it done right, you gotta pony up.
If I remember correctly didn't you get a quote for a dash pad repair from them?
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:46 pm
LithiumCobalt wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:11 pm They are expensive, but if you want it done right, you gotta pony up.
If I remember correctly didn't you get a quote for a dash pad repair from them?
Yeah, back when I had my ‘67 sedan. Was around $1,600 plus shipping. Probably far more now.
Nick
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I did the same thing Stovebolt did on his arm rests. I suppose I could spend $250 apiece on new arm-rest cores, but so far the patch-up with epoxy and metal has held up quite well, with only occasional need for follow-up repair. But, one day (maybe soon), I might shell out the $$$ for at least one core, for the driver's door, which has the most need of the four. Even if I do, I will likely reinforce the anchor points with bits of metal for good measure.

Of course, I realize I risk veering the thread a bit off, as my car is a '66 model.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”