Transmission Crossmember Insulator Flubber

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Transmission Crossmember Insulator Flubber

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Base PN 6a037 and 6a038

I’m guessing the first four digits are C6VY and I doubt there are any NOS left around after 50 years.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I think these were from my '63.
DSCF9088.JPG
DSCF9089.JPG
They are soft rubber, the shells are crimped together on the bracket, so they are not easily seperated.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

TonyC wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:02 pm Very clever! Have you managed to give the car a road test, to see how they feel?
Tony, I really couldn't hear or feel any difference, it drives fine. The only stress on them should be whatever rotational torque the motor mounts don't restrict. As far as I know, the tailshaft has no natural inclination to move left/right or up/down under acceleration.

That reminds me of something I can laugh about now, but sure wasn't funny when it happened: I was probably all of 19, and I'd just dropped the latest of a long line of hot rodded small blocks into the Cougar. So my brother and I thought it might be fun to drive up to Woodward and see if we could get in some trouble. We didn't, but the next day, after sleeping in the car, we decided to cross the border, and see if we could find and tour the Windsor engine plant.

Anyway, the headers on this thing hung really low, and I'd already cut a coil or two out of the front springs. So the next day we were driving along the Ontario side of the river when I managed to miss a turn, and while making a course adjustment, I dropped into the granddaddy of all pot holes. And then I heard a horrible thrashing of metal. The fan had gone about an inch deep into the radiator. I had forgotten to tighten the nuts on the transmission mount! When the headers hit the pavement, it pushed the tailshaft up to the top of the tunnel...and there we were 200 miles from home, dead car, and not even a hundred dollars between us.

The story did (eventually) have a happy ending, due to a Canadian family who were far more kind and generous than they had any right to be. They even had a friend who operated a nearby junkyard (and even opened it special on a Sunday!), and that's how I returned with a cross flow big block radiator and some very funny looking pieced-together radiator hoses to make it all work.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Nice story! At least you got help when you needed help.

Good that the new pillows seem as firm as they're meant to be, and no side-effects. :smt023

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”