'62 Continental Tail lights

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: '62 Continental Tail lights

Post by frasern »

I was once stopped at a red light in my '67 and heard screeching, I was stopped for at least 30 seconds and still had my foot on the brake. Nothing I could do, had a row of cars ahead, thankfully, he stopped just in time, but really, there are 4 feet of brake light with 8 bulbs, and the car is as big as a house! How do you not see that!
Anyway, no amount of regulation will correct stupidity.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

CC,

I too love the ribbed bezels on the 65, and think they are great looking. Go for it!!

As for the purists having a heart attack, I have a 100% stock 63 sedan but do like a lot of the custom work being done out there. Would love to follow your project so please post pictures along the way.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I empathize with Fraser on that. Anyone who claims to "not see" the lights on a '66/7/9, doesn't belong behind a steering wheel. On the other hand, if they don't see those brake lights because they never came on under braking power, well ... :?

Although I'm mostly purist, I am down with retrofits from other years if they make the subject car prettier or more practical without trade-offs. I mean, me for instance, among the many incorrect things I've done...

I'm running '67–9 wheel covers on a '66 because I like the big star better...and the covers I run are the radial variants, partially to reduce the chances of flying-saucer sightings and partially to no longer hawkeye tire techs when I go for tires. I also have '67 dash pad, door panels, ceiling trim, and steering wheel/column, because I think those parts just look better (the column, though, is kinda-sorta needed, as I am running a '67-spec transmission).
Plus, I have '69 head rests on my seat backs; not only do they look good, but they also will help save my neck, literally, should the scenario Fraser pointed out happen to me. It never has with Frankenstein, and I never want it to, especially if somebody's claim of not seeing brake lights was because they never went on when I braked, a problem I had been trying to address for a good dozen years but now seems to be cured at last (I hope it stays that way).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

frasern wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:57 pm I was once stopped at a red light in my '67 and heard screeching, I was stopped for at least 30 seconds and still had my foot on the brake. Nothing I could do, had a row of cars ahead, thankfully, he stopped just in time, but really, there are 4 feet of brake light with 8 bulbs, and the car is as big as a house! How do you not see that!
Anyway, no amount of regulation will correct stupidity.
One cannot see any car when one is staring at one’s phone.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Good point. We make lights larger and brighter, and put more of them in places that can't be missed, and we still come up with ways to do just that. :doh: If Bell only knew of the social pandemic he would unleash on the world with his invention, he'd have burned the blueprints...at least, I like to think so.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

frasern wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:57 pm Anyway, no amount of regulation will correct stupidity.
Don’t be too sure of that: https://www.transportation.gov/briefing ... w-vehicles
I know it doesn’t affect Canada, but we’ll be glad to send you mayor Pete when his term is up.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Lee wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:17 pm
frasern wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:57 pm Anyway, no amount of regulation will correct stupidity.
Don’t be too sure of that: https://www.transportation.gov/briefing ... w-vehicles
I know it doesn’t affect Canada, but we’ll be glad to send you mayor Pete when his term is up.
"That’s why our proposed rule would require all cars to be able to stop and avoid contact with a vehicle in front of them up to 62 miles per hour."

That's some distance it'll be looking at at that speed.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I'll take Buttigieg, if you take Trudeau.
Yeah, I had heard a little about that proposal, and anything passed in the U.S. will soon be here. My prediction is people will just use that "safety" feature to free up more time to multitask behind the wheel.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

The more accommodations for irresponsibility they legislate, the more irresponsible we become. Every doo-dad they've put in since the late-'80s is testament to that.

Well, he ain't called "Butt-gieg" for nothin'...

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Here he is *photo deleted*
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Shouldnt this be in the war room and not here? Dont really give a fuck about politics. Plenty of places for that. This shit just ruins posts and forums. IMO
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Suicidekid63 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:02 pm Shouldnt this be in the war room and not here? Dont really give a fuck about politics. Plenty of places for that. This shit just ruins posts and forums. IMO
“Don’t give a fuck about politics”, but always the first to squawk about a post that you don’t like.

I will, however, concede that this forum is about Lincolns and should stay that way so I removed the joke in my previous post
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:31 pm but always the first to squawk about a post that you don’t like.
WTF are you talking about? I've always been helpful on this forum and have never "squaked" about shit, whatever that fucking means.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”