Windows will not work unless bypass switch is pressed

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Windows will not work unless bypass switch is pressed

Post by Lee »

Thank you, Tony. I had no idea. I don't even recall reading about it.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The '67 schematic shows a 14 amp fuse with **, which, in turn, says 14 amp fuse in fuse box, also used for turn signal. The owners manual shows a 15 amp fuse for turn signals, middle of bottom row. I don't know if '66 was the same, as my '66 shop manual has a rear window schematic where the front window schematic should be, but I'm sure that's just MY shop manual, they can't all be like that, right?
If the turn signal is working, that fuse is not at fault, however, I would check the accessory wire clump on the back of the ignition switch for burns or looseness.
As for the radio fuse, has the radio been changed? Cobbled radio wiring plagues older cars!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

You're welcome, Lee. :smt006 That feature was unjustly underrated to me; I use the bypass more often than the window lock. On the other hand, I don't taxi brats around, so I don't need to use the window lock. I really wish Lincoln dared to keep the bypass feature when Caddy didn't. Plus, just out of curiosity, I'd like to know whether (and if they did, when) Chrysler employed something similar to the Imperial's windows.

I'm sure there were changes to the fusing between '66 and '67. When I last re-read the footnote I made in my '67 manual regarding that fuse tap to the windows, I tried pulling the corresponding fuse in Frankenstein to see if it affected the windows. It didn't. Other things I have noticed: Frankenstein's clock has its own dedicated fuse. My grand's car ('67) did not, the clock being tapped to the fuse for the interior lights. Also, on Frankenstein, the fuses for the cigarette lighters are wired left/right, not front/rear as in my grand's car.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

2006 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, affectionately dubbed "Trigger"
DrDonut

Post by DrDonut »

Thank you all so much for the responses. I will resort to old fashioned wire tracing of the power wire to the source. The wires are original so the color codes are intact. The radio issue should be much easier to fix. I will report back with updates.

On a side note I replaced three power window couplers last week so I am well schooled on motor and regulator removal and replacement. Cleaned and greased all the tracks and windows fly up and down.

Thanks again for all the help.
1967 Lincoln Continental 4 dr
2019 Cadillac XTS
2008 Jeep Wrangler
1961 Dodge D100
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Glad to see that! I can actually say the same thing myself. For years I'd had to deal with my driver's window jamming halfway up (no issues with it going down, only up). Every trick I picked up here would offer only marginal relief, if any. Then, after fixing a dislodged door hinge on the right-front door almost two months ago, the window on that door started doing the same thing!

A few days ago I decided to do something about them, starting with the driver's window; made sense as I had to remove the armrest to clean out all the switches, some of which were crackling on their own after a storm that blew over. I fiddled with the alignment of the mechanism, including the triangle frame, and somehow I got that window right into its sweet spot. Now it zooms up almost as fast as it zooms down, with no hint of slugging out midway-up anymore, even with the door closed! With that success I did a similar fiddling to the right-front door with the same results. I still need to do more to that window because I see it too close to the B-pillar; but for right now it's so nice to have smoothly-running windows at last.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

The separate shop manual for the rear windows has troubleshooting for windows that won't go down automatically but do go up and down via the window switches. I have the opposite problem. My left rear window was working fine. Now it won't go down with either the door switch or the driver's switch. But the auto-drop, auto-raise works fine. Hard to believe both switches would go bad at the same time. Thoughts?
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Granted, that's odd. Do the relays in the back make any clicking noise when the switches are operated? If not, that could be the problem. It also would be odd that both the up and down relays for that window fail at the same time, but stranger symptoms have occurred with these cars. Another thing you can do is take one switch out, disassemble it, inspect and clean it, reassemble it, plug it in, and see what happens or doesn't happen when you operate it.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Dave, I would try swapping the front switches side to side and see if the problem swaps sides. Both driver switches are the same, I still have a NOS '66 one I tried selling here a while back.
As I recall, power to the rear switch, goes through the front first, so if contact is lost they both stop working, even a loose plug could cause that.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Thanks, Tony & Frasern. I'll try some of that and see what happens.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

marcuswalker wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:45 pm Update, it's not the window safety relay. I'm not getting power to the relay when the key switch is in the on position. In the book it shows a 14amp fuse in the fuse box. Howevere, diagram on the fuse box doesn't show it.
It’s been too long and this hasn’t been solved.

It HAS auto be the safety relay. It's fed by the far left circuit breaker under the dashboard to the right of the hump.
Check for power at the RED wire at the relay.

Jumper the two thick wires together and what happens?

One should be hot and the other should be power feed to the windows.

Otherwise, it has to be the window safety relay circuit breaker that feeds the power to the safety relay or both.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I agree, it has to be the safety relay, especially if no other keyed systems are affected (yes, other systems run through that same breaker), and the windows operate thru use of the BYPASS. Now, I still haven't recovered my old '67 shop manual to research the fuse tap previously mentioned; when I do, I'll post (after all, that applies to all cars of that year, not just the 'verts). But if all of the fuses are physically intact and channeling current like they should, then that info will be academic.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Nobody has posted this up to this point, so I will.

Here's the Window Safety Relay, aka the Top Control Relay, Schematic from 1966.
Other years are very similar.

Everything to trace out the circuit it there.

Have at it.

It could simply be a broken wire somewhere, also. One can trace that out two by following the 12V path from the battery to the switch.

Clicken to embiggen.
Attachments
Schematic
Schematic
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Update: I found my '67 shop manual and looked up that mysterious fuse connection to the window safety relay. It's the 14-amp fuse that also powers the speed-control option. So, if you suspect fuse trouble, check that fuse; also check for power at the clips to ensure the fuse is routing power as it should (of course, the key must be turned to ON or ACC for that check). If your car happens to have the factory speed-control option and that has also failed at the same time, then it is a fuse problem. If power is at one end but not the other, yet the fuse doesn't look blown, swap in another fuse of the same type; I have had prior experience of a fuse that failed but didn't show visible signs of blowing out. If that doesn't work, then there must be a broken wire somewhere.

Keep in mind that this applies only to '67 cars. It does not apply to '66 cars, and I can't speak for '68/9 models due to lack of experience with those two years.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”