1967 Continental Turn Signal Flasher constantly clicking?

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Mark Wilson

1967 Continental Turn Signal Flasher constantly clicking?

Post by Mark Wilson »

Hey guys, I have a 67' thats been giving me a headache with the electrical system involving the top as well as the warning relays on the drivers fender. I replaced the faulty relays with new oem style and now for some reason my turn signal flasher constantly goes off as soon as I hook the battery up and does this with the key out of the ignition. I have a few possible theories but not sure exactly what to do in this situation. Prior to installing these new relays it never did it before so im not sure what would cause it to do it now? My guess is maybe a faulty ground? But this gets interesting because the power from the turn signal flasher is being sent to the top relay as well so the top will only work for a second and stop for a second Etc.

This is what I ran into since whoever worked on the car before me:

1. Main power wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay was bypassed with a whole new wire bypassing the neutral safety(starts in drive but assume separate problem)
2. The stop lamp relay in the inside of the fender is unplugged
3. Turn signals/headlamps/brake lamps on the outside work but the indicators on the dash will work for one second then stop
4. Turn signal flasher is very slow and lamps seem slightly dim

Could a bad flasher do this? I guess I just don't know where to start or would cause this?

Thank you!
Mark

1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1984 Lincoln Continental
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1967 Continental Turn Signal Flasher constantly clicking?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

...for some reason my turn signal flasher constantly goes off as soon as I hook the battery up and does this with the key out of the ignition.
I had this problem on my 66 when I was driving through rain and humidity in the south back in 2017. Although mine did not do this with the key off. When it occurred, there was no internal or external flashing of the turn signals. I had installed a low-current, LED flasher.
It eventually stopped with the rain and humidity when it dried out. Evenutally, I replaced the flasher because it would also fail completely.

I recommend you replace the flasher with a standard flasher.
1. Main power wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay was bypassed with a whole new wire bypassing the neutral safety(starts in drive but assume separate problem)
This is a bypass hack for a bad relay. You can undo this if you can find the jumper and replace the relay. A minor safety issue.
2. The stop lamp relay in the inside of the fender is unplugged
Another hack for a back relay. The TS switch is capable of driving the lamps. Again, undoable.
3. Turn signals/headlamps/brake lamps on the outside work but the indicators on the dash will work for one second then stop
A common problem due to corroded wiring. I developed a hack that requires some skill. You can read about it here: Re: 66 & 67 Inside turn signal problem: SOLVED!
4. Turn signal flasher is very slow and lamps seem slightly dim
Replace the flasher. Dim lamps are usually caused by corroded silvering inside the taillamp assemblies. You can repaint with new silver paint and get a lot of brightness back. Pull the lenses off and inspect.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Dan, you're the king of electrical problems!
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mark Wilson

Post by Mark Wilson »

I really appreciate your help Dan! This has been a pain trying to undo someone elses work back to factory spec. Is there a specific flasher you recommend? Also, what would it take to convert it to a new flasher? I appreciate your knowledge!!
Mark

1984 Lincoln Continental
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The TS flasher is behind the passenger AC grille up behind the glove box. Get the three wire LED flasher from Amazon. It’s like $20. You have to add a ground.

Here’s a good LED thread. It might be it here.
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... hp?t=50654

Here’s the flasher I bought. One died because of a bad ground wire. $12

CEC Industries EF32RL Flasher
Https://a.co/d/ft3Q8tk
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Lee wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:10 pm Dan, you're the king of electrical problems!
25 years of owning a 66 Lincoln and a good electrical engineering degree. My cars has had all the problems.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Did it have the turn signals work snd not constantly click before changing the relays? It sounds like either there's something with one of the new relays (or all?) That not all of the connectors do what they're supposed to do or something with the wiring hacks is now inadvertently causing this now that the relays are working properly.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Mark Wilson

Post by Mark Wilson »

Hey Mike, yes the turn signals did work (no constant click)prior but the indicators on the dash didn't. Previous owner jumped the relays in the past which I believe when I installed the new ones the right way its freaking out now lol. Seems the flasher is bad which would make sense. If I remove the wiring thats been crossed im hoping it will resolve the issue.
Mark

1984 Lincoln Continental

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”