'57 MOTOR SWAP

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

mikes57

'57 MOTOR SWAP

Post by mikes57 »

i HAVE PURCHASED A 428 FE DRIVE TRAIN. THINKING ABOUT A SWAP INTO THE PREMIER? ANY IDEAS ON MOUNTS, WIRING, COOLING, ECT.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: '57 MOTOR SWAP

Post by TonyC »

Should prove interesting...

I have nothing to contribute, as I've never done that swap before. I can tell you that, if it turns out you venture down an untravelled road, it should be exciting and frustrating. But that is what adventure is all about.

I'm no advocate of swaps where the unibody cars are concerned, but since '57 was not a unibody year you have better flexibility in swapping in a different engine...which isn't really all that different. It isn't a twin to the OE 368, no; but it's not entirely alien like a 21st-Century Hemi or LS.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Is this similar to a 58 Thunderbird? If so my buddy just installed a 427FE into one of those. It didn't take any modifications and actually dropped into where the old Y block was. If it's similar I could get pictures (if the car is still there) for you if you would like.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My concern would be the transmission, engine bay should be big enough.
Stock transmission may bolt up, I don't know, but the pilot on the torque converter will be different. A C6 is a much larger unit, and may not clear the floor without tunnel mods, that shouldn't be a deal breaker though. It sounds like an interesting project.
I know of a local complete 57 conv parts car, but it's a long way from... wherever!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I can’t help much, but I do know the FE and Y-block bellhousing patterns are different if you were considering using the 57’s tranny.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, technically, the FE is a Y-block. The term applies to the shape of the block; it's not a reserved title for a specific group of engines. It can also apply to non-Ford engines that also went that route.

However, concerns of mating up to the transmission are valid. If the bolt patterns are different, then that's a no-go obstacle. Not even C-6s will bolt up to Y-blocks except for the 462 MEL Y-block...and even then, that model had a different bellhousing (among other differences) from other C-6 models. The first-gen automatics are particularly fussy, being compatible only with the engines that existed at the time.

On the other hand, being that the FE was eliminated well after the C-6 and other transmissions of the same generation came into being, maybe there's a newer transmission that can mate up, so I could be wrong. Maybe swapping the transmission on a non-unitized car is possible, but I can't say for certain. I would say, be prepared for a more-involved surgery; that's not to say ditch the idea, just be prepared for more work. Lincolns aren't like Chevys, especially the older Lincolns. But the job isn't impossible, just difficult and expensive. As long as the frame doesn't have to be compromised, the job should be practical.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I think the C6 was the only automatic that came behind the 428. The biggest issue wouldn't be the frame it's if there's enough clearance at the firewall/trans tunnel/floor for it. I see they make adaoter plates for other transmissions but then space would become more of an issue.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

mikes57 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:33 pm i HAVE PURCHASED A 428 FE DRIVE TRAIN. THINKING ABOUT A SWAP INTO THE PREMIER? ANY IDEAS ON MOUNTS, WIRING, COOLING, ECT.
Should be easy.

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”