Washed engine bay... now no start???

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Washed engine bay... now no start???

Post by TonyC »

Glad it was a simple-to-fix issue!

On a side note, maybe that was the appeal, or one of them, for Hall-Effect distributors: The resistance to water. Bessie, the Audi I had in Germany, had that. I learned that the downside of that design is, when it fails, the whole distributor needs to be swapped out, as only rebuilds can restore them. It took me almost two weeks to figure that out when her ignition failed me.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Tony, I don’t know if the Pertronix in Steve’s car was a model 1, 2 or 3. I ran the model II (which IS Hall Effect) with the magnet ring for years, but the model III I installed around 2018, doesn’t need the magnet ring…it uses something called “lobe sensor technology”. From the Pertronix website:

“Pertronix lobe sensing kits use unique lobe sensor technology, which uses the point cam to trigger, rather than a magnet sleeve or ring. The standard Hall Effect Ignitor module has the integrated circuit triggered by the cobalt magnets in the magnet sleeve or ring that is mounted on the shaft (usually on the cam lobes). Lobe Sensor kits have been developed to overcome the need to make adjustments to a distributor.”
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Lee,
Mine is a Petronix III.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Steven, did you pair that III with their low resistance (0.32 ohm) coil? That made a lot of difference for me.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Yes. The 45kV flamethrower
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

It’s a good combination. Opinions will probably vary, but that’s the only way I was able to reliably open up the spark gap. I didn’t go crazy, just .044”, but the other models don’t have the adaptive dwell, and multiple sparks, and without a low resistance coil, you really aren’t getting much more total joules than with a fresh set of points and stock coil.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, aftermarket kits with Hall-Effect are one thing. Factory distributors with Hall-Effect, they're something else. That was what I had to deal with on Bessie, and I strongly suspect the same issue on a Saab 900 my ex had before we got married.

One day I will try that conversion; it may take a while, like it did with the headlight harness, but one day I will, especially if it gets nothing but praise from the Forum.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Tony, if you do it, get one of the third generation models, run their low resistance coil (it’s black and looks bone stock if you peel the decal) and most definitely trigger a relay (tied right to the battery stud at the starter relay) from the resistor wire. Even if you ran a new non-resistor wire, you really don’t want to pull 8-10 amps through that section of the ignition switch…it was designed for like 2.5.

I think there’s a sticky about Pertronix. I don’t think I read any dissatisfied reviews.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”