Why is it so difficult to get C6 transmission capacitieS?

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Why is it so difficult to get C6 transmission capacitieS?

Post by jon schapiro »

My son has been trying to get the C6 capacity for a 1978 Mark V and has been unable to get a precise answer. He’s trying to find out the capacity with the torque converter and without the torque converter. The best information I can obtain is that it takes 8 quarts without the torque converter and 12 quarts with the torque converter. Anybody have the exact capacity specifications?
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Why is it so difficult to get C6 transmission capacitieS?

Post by Lee »

I have the exact dry refill amount, including converter from the 1978 Ford Service Manual: 12-1/4 qts. It does not detail without converter (I think the assumption was a complete drain and refill with every servicing)
However, my Chiltons lists a “drain and refilll” (assuming this means w/o draining converter) amount of 6 qts, which seems pretty close to my experience with C-6’s.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Why is it so difficult to get C6 transmission capacitieS?

Post by jon schapiro »

Lee wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:48 pm I have the exact dry refill amount, including converter from the 1978 Ford Service Manual: 12-1/4 qts. It does not detail without converter (I think the assumption was a complete drain and refill with every servicing)
However, my Chiltons lists a “drain and refilll” (assuming this means w/o draining converter) amount of 6 qts, which seems pretty close to my experience with C-6’s.
Thank you Lee.
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”