Botched Delivery "need fender trim 76 Continental"

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

JAR76

Botched Delivery "need fender trim 76 Continental"

Post by JAR76 »

I am heartbroken. After searching several months for a car that closely resembled my first car as a Teenager, I found one. An all original Blue 1976 Continental. It cost me $1,700 to have it shipped enclosed from about 850 miles away. It was damaged in transport. I am in need of a front fender wheel well trim for a 1976 Lincoln Continental. I searched for hours last Nite on Ebay to no avail. Can someone please let me know where I may find this?

Thank you,
Joe
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Botched Delivery "need fender trim 76 Continental"

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Have you tried any of the usual suspects? Seems like someone would have what you’re looking for
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
JAR76

Post by JAR76 »

I am new to this forum. You may laugh, but I just figured out what [The Usual Suspects] meant. I did not realize this was a website. I thought it meant the usual places to look for something: lol:
Thank you. I will try them.

Joe
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Joey, would you mind letting us all know who the transport company was?
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Lee wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:45 pm Joey, would you mind letting us all know who the transport company was?
Auto transport industry isn't as easy as that. The people you call or find online are brokers that simply have a log in to this website.
https://www.centraldispatch.com/

If you need vehicles transported you log into that site and enter the pickup and delivery addresses and any special requirements for the job. When you post the job you set the amount your willing to pay. Owner operators of vehicles log into that site and can scroll through thousands of jobs and select their jobs based on their routes and pay. Typically the owner operators get paid 30%-40% of the job while the broker pockets the rest.

As a car dealer I have a membership to that site and use it to transport my vehicles. For example when I purchased my wife's Mark iii the going rate for transport from El Paso to the DFW was $400 but I wanted it picked up and delivered the same day I went to look at it. I logged into the website set the pickup and delivery date and put a pay amount of $1,000. The job was accepted by an owner operator almost instantly and the vehicle was picked up in an hour by someone I had never met or spoke to. The guy who picked it up said he rejected another job because mine was paying more than double. I hopped back on a plane and met him at the shop that night for delivery.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Great information. I never knew… so any idea who assumes liability for damage, the operator or broker?
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Lee wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:43 pm Great information. I never knew… so any idea who assumes liability for damage, the operator or broker?
It would be filed through the broker. The shipper should have provided a bill of lading with photos of the vehicle from all sides at pickup and delivery. Any damages during transport would be seen there and the shipper would be liable.

I have transported well over 100 vehicles this way on open trailers and have only had one damaged during transport (cracked windshield glass which I didn't notice when signing for the vehicle). I would like to see the damage done because it is very difficult to destroy the fender trim without destroying the fender.
Over-the-Wheel-Straps.png
th011-k2-f_1.jpg
th011-k2-f_1.jpg (23.42 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Typically these are the types of straps used, they prevent the shipper from having to touch the sides of the vehicle.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I personally would recommend keeping lawsuit as an option. This LLC crap nowadays may make it hard to own companies that do you wrong, but they need to be made to pay. A good liability lawyer can pull that off...assuming the hauler refuses to admit liability and thus refuse financial compensation.

I know, I know, I know the LLC thing was stood up in the aftermath of the hot-coffee incident between McD's and some old biddy a generation ago, to protect from frivolous lawsuits...but like everything else that isn't thought out thoroughly, it does possess the potential to be a bad thing.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Just make them pay for the trim.

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”