BENCH SEAT SWAP TO SPLIT SEAT???

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

JAR76

BENCH SEAT SWAP TO SPLIT SEAT???

Post by JAR76 »

I have a 1976 Continental 4 door sedan. It came with a velour full bench seat. I was wondering if it is possible to swap it out for the power split seats found in the Town Car. I was thinking if I gather all the parts (seats, passenger door controls), would I have to make any mods to the harness or harnesses? I know that some modern cars and trucks today utilize the same wiring harnesses. Not sure about these 70's Lincolns. I have ordered the service manuals so that I can study the wiring. Another consideration would be the mounting bolts. Has anyone tried to accomplish this or am I opening up a can of worms that I don't want to open?
Thanks
Joe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: BENCH SEAT SWAP TO SPLIT SEAT???

Post by TonyC »

That's a neat idea, actually; I for one will endorse your prospective project, especially if you can find seats that match the rest of your interior color-wise. If it were that easy to do with the '60s models, I'd probably do that myself.

I would think such a mod would be easier for a '70s Lincoln. In that decade they began to become more Ford-like in their production, so that should make the job easier. You likely might need extra wiring harnesses for the passenger seat, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could plug right into the existing wiring through vestigial connectors. Remember to grab as much of that wiring and fastening hardware as you can from the organ donor...oh, and very smart getting a shop manual.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
JAR76

Re: BENCH SEAT SWAP TO SPLIT SEAT???

Post by JAR76 »

Thank you, Tony, for your reply. I have done a few mods on a 2015 Silverado. It came without folding mirrors and I wanted to add them to this truck. I Was told by the dealership that "it couldn't be done". I purchased a GM upfitters wiring diagram, The folding mirrors, The correct switch for the driver's door and a doner harness. WALA Success! I couldn't wait to go to the dealership, park, and I folded the mirrors in front of my salesman. He just smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Needless to say, I was approached by other people that wanted me to lay out how I accomplished this.

Thanks,
Joe

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”