1963 Lincoln Relay connections

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Minnesota1970!

1963 Lincoln Relay connections

Post by Minnesota1970! »

Hello,

I've seen suggestions on the forum on how to ensure a good connection with the convertible top relays and rubber connectors. I recently shaved them but still have a couple weak connections. I'm planning on replacing all the rubber connectors and shaving them a bit. I'm also thinking of taping each one like pictures for another line of defense from them getting loose. Would I be doing more bad than good?

Thanks Jim
Attachments
relay taped
relay taped
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1963 Lincoln Relay connections

Post by bd94s10 »

Jim,

Good day. I just saw your post. I think the is a great idea. I know in my '64 Lincoln convertible after speaking to John Cashman I did some trimming on the rubber behind the rear seat (for the windows). I had a couple of really loose connections so in one example I took a zip tie and put it in around to hold the connection tight.

Also, I just finished wiring my at home shop and a family friend Fred helped me do it all. On of the things he had me do is put electrical tape around the inside (outer parameter) of the receptacle. Probably not necessary but didn't hurt.

Looks good to me!

Jason Ballard aka ODB The Lincoln Addict
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

If you've shaved the rubber, did you give the terminals a little squeeze to improve contact?
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Might I suggest di-electric grease as well. Keeps moisture out, but also lubricates those connectors, for future removal.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Do not use dielectric grease on terminals. It’s an insulator, not a conductor. Use conductive grease.
Minnesota1970!

Post by Minnesota1970! »

Thanks all!

So far this worked great.

Jim

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”